Beavers working for desert association

9:40 p.m. on March 31, 2010 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

Here in Central Oregon we are trying to restore our steelhead streams and spawning ground. The river up the stret from me has "wild" status and is being restored. This is an eflyer from REI, but what caught my eye was the beaver reference.

"Volunteer to help plant trees to protect critical fish habitat and see how ONDA (Oregon Natural Desert Association) is helping to encourage beavers to restore this stream."

Jim S

10:00 a.m. on April 1, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

The beavers don't seem to need any encouragement down here in the southeast. Those blighters are everywhere these days, and they will dam up anything...even an artificial waterfall in your back yard. Not even joking.

2:02 p.m. on April 1, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

I'm sure in wilderness areas they play an important role in providing habitat for other wildlife. But for me they are a royal pain. Have a creek running through my acreage. If they had their way 80% of our property would be a beaver pond.

4:04 p.m. on April 1, 2010 (EDT)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

If I remember correctly beavers need a lot of wood to make a dam. I am talking tons and tons of wood. They can down 200 trees without a problem if they get going. You better plant a lot of trees and make sure they don't dam up your river after your house or you may be under water.

August 1, 2014
Quick Reply