Guess where this is?

1:33 a.m. on April 9, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

Lets start a new contest, lets see if anyone can guess where this is?

Hint; Its somewhere on Earth....

After it's guessed I will do another.

3:12 a.m. on April 9, 2010 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

I guess I need to see the treasure map to figure this one out. All I can see is a red "X".

3:20 a.m. on April 9, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

Try it now?

8:09 a.m. on April 9, 2010 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

That's the leftovers in a tupperware container in my fridge.
Ed

8:22 a.m. on April 9, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
773 reviewer rep
681 forum posts

Based on what I know about you, Gary, I'm going to guess that it's the Grand Teton. Now I'll go look it up in Google Earth.

8:41 a.m. on April 9, 2010 (EDT)
773 reviewer rep
681 forum posts

Bingo! :-)

My turn...

10:15 a.m. on April 9, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

That was easy... Manicouagan meteor crater in Canada See the December 13 2000 Astronomy Picture of the Day there's a image of it shot from the Discovery Shuttle. http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap001213.html

My turn again...

Where's this?

10:38 a.m. on April 9, 2010 (EDT)
27 reviewer rep
200 forum posts

That's Mount Fuji.

10:49 a.m. on April 9, 2010 (EDT)
27 reviewer rep
200 forum posts

See if you can get this one. It's one of my favorite sights from one of my favorite places, albeit a rather different perspective. =)

11:11 a.m. on April 9, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

Have to think about this one. I started playing this guess-it game at Backpacker Magazine's website last year. They had an image of the Goosenecks of the San Juan. I guessed right and won a GSI water bottle in the mail. Another place I played it was at a yahoo egroup site where someone had posted a picture of Shackletons expedition in Antarctica and I won a Omega locking caribiner.

Nothing to win here but the chance to spoof each other with an image.

I am searching for that one Yock!

11:41 a.m. on April 9, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

Mount Olympus Washinton's Olympic National Park

Here's a harder one. Hint: One of my favorite slot canyons.

Canyon.jpg

2:05 p.m. on April 9, 2010 (EDT)
27 reviewer rep
200 forum posts

I know it's in Zion and I know that's the town of Orderville in the upper left, but I don't know the canyon is called.

2:08 p.m. on April 9, 2010 (EDT)
27 reviewer rep
200 forum posts

Could be Red Hollow?

3:14 p.m. on April 9, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

Yes it is Red Hollow, but its about 20 miles east of Zion Park. I didnt think anyone would get it so quick!

How about this one...

3:43 p.m. on April 9, 2010 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
66 forum posts

Ayers Rock in Australia.

3:55 p.m. on April 9, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

Yep, Have you been there? Not me, I was just looking at different places on Google earth and found it. Unless someone else posts a shot soon I will find another,,back later.

4:02 p.m. on April 9, 2010 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
66 forum posts

I've never been there either.

Guess this one.

4:08 p.m. on April 9, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

Where is this?

4:40 p.m. on April 9, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
42 forum posts

Now is the top one Denali Peak Area in Alaska?

But I do know that the lower one is of Hidden Falls in

Grand Teton Natl Park

4:54 p.m. on April 9, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

Thats MT Everest, but just so you know C487, if you post an image in the space here it also shows on your member pictures page, and I clicked the image to see it better and it showed on your memeber page with the name...

5:02 p.m. on April 9, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

Someone else post a guess it image, just be sure not to have it labeled when it posts or it will show up in you members shots and give it away

5:13 p.m. on April 9, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

How about this place?

5:38 p.m. on April 9, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
42 forum posts

falkland Islands in the South Atlantic

8:38 p.m. on April 9, 2010 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

You can guess where this is; the question is where was I standing when I took this image?
Ed

9:06 p.m. on April 9, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

Is that supposed to be our galaxy? And you were out near the edge of the known Universe?

I am on top of a famous landmark somewhere in Ytah, what landmark am I on top of here...

9:47 p.m. on April 9, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,556 forum posts

Great thread guys!

Wish I had the time to search around & play.

My personal knowledge is limited to the Southern Appalachians, outside of that I have to investigate.

I'm guessing that whomeworry was standing in a planetarium or museum or something of that nature.

Unless he took a ride with Boba Fett.

11:45 p.m. on April 9, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
42 forum posts

Gary, now was your pic taken from the top of Angels Landing in Zion?

1:26 a.m. on April 10, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

Gee, Kayla you are just too smart for me! Yes, that is Angels Landing.

For those who saw Red Hollow above this is what it looks like near its mouth just east of Orderville Canyon Utah

This is the one to guess what it is of (the mountain below the clouds)

2:22 a.m. on April 10, 2010 (EDT)
773 reviewer rep
681 forum posts

Gary, you had me stumped on the slot canyon and also the peak under the clouds. Recognized Ayer's Rock immediately, once went up there by moonlight and lay on top looking at the stars (before access was as regulated as it is today). I was also pretty sure at first glance that was Everest -- I spent New Year's Eve '80-'81 at the base camp of the British Winter Everest Expedition, drinking Kukhri rum with some of the climbers. Kinda helps you remember the basic geography.

Anyway, here's an infrared space shot of the confluence of two rivers. I had a copy of a photo in a coffee table book and thought it would be a good one for this thread. Found it on a web site with lots more astonishing space shots which I'll share after someone gets this one. I love this planet!

10:12 a.m. on April 10, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

Wow Bigred thats gunna be a harder one with the infrared imaging. Is it correct in compass bearing with north being to the top area?

Can you give a hint as to where/what continent its on? I have been searching waterways for an hour and cant find it. Looks like a silty river and a clear one, tho in infrared its hard to say, looks like a town on the side and lots of vegetation around.

I tried inverting the colors to compensate for the infrared with no good.

1:29 p.m. on April 10, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
42 forum posts

BigRed, Great Pic for this contest! Once I saw thought that it was some

where along the Amazon. It is of Manaus, Amazonia, Brazil and the junction

of the Rio Negro and the Solimoes Rivers. Now what makes it interesting is

that it is in infared and taken at a different time then of this place on Google

Earth which causes one really to think. Again Great Job and Pic!

2:00 a.m. on April 11, 2010 (EDT)
773 reviewer rep
681 forum posts

Yeah, Gary was on the right track in noting the clear and silty rivers. The Rio Negro get it's name because it is a "blackwater river", heavily stained with humic acids from tannin-rich trees and other plants growing on nutrient-poor soils. Wish I could say I've been there, but I guess I kinda went in the other direction :-§

Here's the source:

http://www.ersdac.or.jp/ASTERimage/ASTERimage_library_E.html

Check out the photo of the "eye of the Earth"

Who's next?

3:48 a.m. on April 11, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

Wow, thats quite and impressive website Bigred. If no one else will post a new Guess it image I wil look for something else myself. Back later...

4:06 a.m. on April 11, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

How about this one?

Above my last shot with the cloud above is Mt Elden shot from near my place in Flagstaff,AZ.

10:06 a.m. on April 11, 2010 (EDT)
773 reviewer rep
681 forum posts

Well I've been hunting around coastal Alaska, Tierra del Fuego, and even South Georgia (the island) but I haven't been able to get a match. Odd that there seems to be low-elevation snow in some places but not others.

12:02 p.m. on April 11, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

Really you looked around Alaska and could find it? Look again!

I found this really cool site last night with tons of images from space...

http://www.esa.int/esaEO/SEM9UELY17E_index_0.html

There's a few nice images of Norway in its archives too, almost thought about using one but figured you would s know it quick. The above image came from there.

Check out the one called Icebreaker Event about three down from the top. An semi video of a giant ice flow breaking off and moving out to sea.

12:36 p.m. on April 11, 2010 (EDT)
773 reviewer rep
681 forum posts

Yeah I was pretty convinced it was either coastal Alaska or Tierra de Fuego, but not a Google Earth screenshot, which puts me out in cyberspace trying to track it down. There's a lot of these space shot web sites with lots of gorgeous and interesting photos, but I haven't seen the ESA site before -- thanks, I've bookmarked it. Still don't see where in Alaska that is, though -- Turnagain Arm? Somewhere around Katmai?

Here's one of my all-time favorites, a gorgeous false-color image of a delta somewhere in the world. Both the image and the delta are pretty legendary, so maybe you -- Gary or someone else out there -- have seen it before? I'll post the link later so you can explore the full-size image -- it's pretty big and has lots of amazing detail.

In fact, here's a zoom in, still only about halfway, that shows some of the detail.

12:39 p.m. on April 11, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

Is that the Nile Delta? The second image looks like something like blood vessels and cells under a microscope.

Whats happening in Norway now, the days must be getting longer, you must have the long winter nights like Alaska? The image of mine is from Turnagain Arm. Its called The Last Frontier dated 29/05/2009 on that ESA link

2:05 p.m. on April 11, 2010 (EDT)
773 reviewer rep
681 forum posts

Not the Nile. One clue is the abundance of small lakes on the left hand side of the image. It is, however, in standard "north-up" orientation, so the Nile would fit that.

Our days are getting longer fast-- we now have usable light from about 5:30 or 6 AM to 9 PM. For a month on either side of solstice it never really gets dark, just 4 hours or so of dusk or twilight. Drives my wife crazy because she can't sleep, but I love it -- take an 10:30 PM mountain bike ride up to Estanstadhytta to watch the sun set,, then I usually sleep pretty well.

2:08 p.m. on April 11, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

Yeah, Gary was on the right track in noting the clear and silty rivers. The Rio Negro get it's name because it is a "blackwater river", heavily stained with humic acids from tannin-rich trees and other plants growing on nutrient-poor soils. Wish I could say I've been there, but I guess I kinda went in the other direction :-§

Here's the source:

http://www.ersdac.or.jp/ASTERimage/ASTERimage_library_E.html

Check out the photo of the "eye of the Earth"

Who's next?

the eye of the earth photo is one of the coolest photos i've ever seen...

how amazing!

2:27 p.m. on April 11, 2010 (EDT)
773 reviewer rep
681 forum posts

the eye of the earth photo is one of the coolest photos i've ever seen...

how amazing!

Yup, you gotta love this planet.

If you want to try zooming the other way, check out Nikon's Small World galleries:

http://www.nikonsmallworld.com/gallery

Tora Bardal at my university got 14th place last year with this image of a lobster egg.

2:43 p.m. on April 11, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

Yeah, That Nikon site is pretty cool!

How about this one, can anyone guess its location?

2:56 a.m. on April 12, 2010 (EDT)
773 reviewer rep
681 forum posts

Paria River, Kaibab Arizona. At some point I'll post a formal call for advice, but for now I'll say it looks I'll be living in Riverside CA for the first 6 months of 2011 (on sabbatical at UC Riverside) and I hope be getting out and about in CA and the southwest. Visiting some slot canyons is a top priority. Question: is January-February a good time to visit these, or should I wait until later in the spring?

The delta is the Lena River in northern Siberia, the photo is from a NASA site:

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=2704

You can view/download a 4MB version that has astonishing detail.

Here's an easy one if you happen to have seen pictures of this planetary feature, posted here as much for the image's (and the feature's) raw beauty as to try to really stump anyone.

1:22 p.m. on April 12, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
42 forum posts

BigRed, this is of the Malaspina Glacier Area in Alaska it looks like.

5:49 p.m. on April 12, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

Yes, looking at it on Google Earth, I believe Kayla is right!

Kayla can you put in a image for us to guess?

7:36 p.m. on April 12, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

Okay ya'll, what or where is this image of fro above? I call it Famous Four.

And to answer your questions BigRed about visiting the slot canyons in January, it could be okay, tho a bit cold as many are very narrow and dont get any sun in January. And any water crossings or wadings would be freezing. I did some of the Buckskin Gulch in late October 2008 and the few deep pools we had to wade in were very chilly. Some were as long as 30 feet and waist deep and being even then the walls of the slots kept the sun out 90% of the time and so made it colder with the wading. Later in maybe April or May would be better. What 6 months will you be at Riverside, CA?

I hope to be able to do some hikes with you while you are in the country. Have you been outside Norway much? I have not been in Europe except for when I was in the US Navy in 1975-76 and saw Spain,France,Italy,Greece and Turkey's coasts along the Med Cruise's as they were called.

3:08 a.m. on April 13, 2010 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
101 forum posts

This is the Four Corners of Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, and Utah. The square just left of center is the corner monument. The long white lines are the stalls selling Native-American crafts.

3:41 a.m. on April 13, 2010 (EDT)
773 reviewer rep
681 forum posts

SnowGoose posted just as I finished my investigation and concluded the same thing -- I never would have got it without the hint/title, but with that help Four Corners was actually my first guess. The funny thing is, Google Earth gave me only a very low res picture of that area, couldn't see anything, but I found it on the satellite view in Google Maps -- but your screen shot looks like it came form Google Earth.

We still haven't identified Yock's post, have we?

I'll be in CA January to June, probably take July to travel around. Sounds like we should hold off on the slot canyons until April or May. I'd like to do some backcountry skiing in the Sierra and San Bernadinos, maybe cross the Sierra on skis. But the desert and basin and range is calling me more and more. I did some hikes in Zion and the Grand Canyon in the earliest 70's, passed through and visited a lot of other places in 72-73, then was at Prescott College for just one year in 73-74, spent some time exploring small canyons around Sedona etc. So it's been the better part of 40 years since I've done anything in the southwest. In CA, I spent some time in Yosemite in (also the Bay Area) in 73 (I think I posted a story about that a while back), and returned to do the John Muir and High Sierra trails in 81.

In answer to your question about travel outside of Norway, since we moved to here (almost 8 years ago!) I've been pretty focused on getting to know the land and mountains here, but we made a short trip to Iceland (I'd love to return to hike in some of the volcanic areas), did the Tour de Mont Blanc in 2006, and then I went back to the Alps with a buddy last summer to do some climbing as I have posted earlier. I have also lived/worked/visited/hiked in New Zealand, Australia, Malaysia, Nepal, Costa Rica, Chile... sort of a nice complement to what you're doing, Gary, with your focus on the American west.

Yes, it would be very cool to get together and do some miles. I've found a pretty comprehensive web site on slot canyons, but there's nothing like real local knowledge. I'll be in touch!

3:45 a.m. on April 13, 2010 (EDT)
773 reviewer rep
681 forum posts

Oh yeah, the Malaspina Glacier picture came from someone's collection of favorite satellite photos, lots more beautiful pictures (including the Lena again) here:

http://izismile.com/2009/08/27/the_most_beautiful_satellite_pictures_of_earth_59_pics.html

Enjoy!

3:46 a.m. on April 13, 2010 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
101 forum posts

This lake is very important to wilderness.

4:56 a.m. on April 13, 2010 (EDT)
773 reviewer rep
681 forum posts

Yock's pic is Mount Olympus.

How about this little beauty?

4:05 p.m. on April 13, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
42 forum posts

Snowgoose, isn't that Trappers lake and nearby the Flat Tops Wilderness

Area in Colorado. I remember hiking all over the Flat Tops back in the

fall of 1979 which was Fabulous!

4:25 p.m. on April 13, 2010 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
101 forum posts

Very Good! It is indeed Trappers Lake, one of my favorite places in the world. This is the area where Arthur Carhart http://www.wilderness.net/index.cfm?fuse=feature0205 was assigned to survey a road and cabin sites for the Forest Service. He did his job and came back to his supervisor with the suggestion that the best use for this area was to preserve it the way it was. This gave an important push to the idea of setting aside areas as wilderness where man is only a visitor. I am forever grateful to him for it.

4:30 p.m. on April 13, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
42 forum posts

BigRed, it looks like your pic that you posted is of a part of the

Maldives Islands Area in the Indian Ocean by what I found at

Wikipedia.

4:33 p.m. on April 13, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
42 forum posts

Here is a photo for everyone .....

7:14 p.m. on April 13, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

How about this?

9:12 p.m. on April 13, 2010 (EDT)
27 reviewer rep
200 forum posts

Those are the finger lakes in New York State.

10:02 p.m. on April 13, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

Yock you are just too smart for me.

And thru elimination Kayla's photo above is of Heart Lake in Yellowstone Nat Park.

12:48 a.m. on April 14, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

How about this canyon?

Same place from space...

6:20 a.m. on April 14, 2010 (EDT)
773 reviewer rep
681 forum posts

BigRed, it looks like your pic that you posted is of a part of the

Maldives Islands Area in the Indian Ocean by what I found at

Wikipedia.

Righteeo! The picture title was supposed to be a hint because they are threatened by sea level rise...

11:18 a.m. on April 14, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

Mine is not the Paria or the Parunuweap as a friend guessed in an email.

This is another view of the same canyon, taken near the big curve in the aerial shot above.

5:35 p.m. on April 14, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
42 forum posts

Looks like Gary this is in Lower Kaibab Gulch, off of the House Rock Valley

Road above where the Buckskin Gulch starts, by what I see on Google

Earth and some Topo Maps. Good One Gary!

6:06 p.m. on April 14, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

Yes, thats the place. When I searched for the image I saw I had mislabeled it as upper Buckskin Canyon, but when I looked at the topos it said Kaibab Canyon.

Please find another image to post Kayla or someone else.

6:22 p.m. on April 14, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
42 forum posts

Now here is two pics of a popular place that I know someone here will know for it is a often visited and known place in the southwest.

5:40 a.m. on April 15, 2010 (EDT)
773 reviewer rep
681 forum posts

I guess it's Clear Creek Canyon off of Lake Powell. I found it by Googling "hanging potholes canyon" which is my description of what's in the picture -- and it worked! Now I'll have to actually go there...

At this point I'll admit I've gotten a little obsessed with the satellite photo thing and collected quite a few -- maybe I'll put up a gallery somewhere -- but for now here's an old photo of mine of a mountain someone out there might recognize.

10:43 a.m. on April 15, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,556 forum posts

Wild guess here BigRed,......Mammoth?

10:54 a.m. on April 15, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
42 forum posts

BigRed, NO that is not the right location. Thought someone would have

gotten it by now. Here is a hint: it is in the Greater Escalante River Drainage

Area.

11:18 a.m. on April 15, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

I found it, its called the Golden Cathedral in Neon Canyon Utah

http://www.americansouthwest.net/slot_canyons/neon_canyon/index.html

Extensive narrow slot sections, swimming pools and dryfalls are found along the 4 miles of Neon Canyon, an east side tributary of the Escalante River, but this is quite difficult to reach, testing to explore and a trip through the full length takes at least two days. So few people see the whole canyon, instead many visit the lower end, as this is the location of the 'Golden Cathedral', a beautiful natural amphitheater formed by high orange-red cliffs streaked with desert varnish, containing a triple natural bridge above a large pool. Even this is not easy to access, as to get there needs a drive of 27 miles on unpaved roads then a 2 hour hike.

1:17 p.m. on April 15, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
42 forum posts

You found it Gary! For where this place is, it is quite visited and a popular

spot espicelly with Rock Climbers. It is about a 10 mile round trip from the

nearest trailhead and on about everyday in the spring, there is at least a

few people hiking to the local. It is a Fabulous Place!

2:07 p.m. on April 15, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
42 forum posts

BigRed, now is your photo of Mount Washington, there in New Hampshire?

As for myself personally, have never been out that way there in the New

England states.

2:40 p.m. on April 15, 2010 (EDT)
773 reviewer rep
681 forum posts

Right region, wrong mountain.

I thought I had the canyon right based on this photo, but I guess I was a little hasty.

I think it was included on a web page about Cathedral in the Desert and other sites (well) above Lake Powell. Beautiful!

2:38 p.m. on April 17, 2010 (EDT)
773 reviewer rep
681 forum posts

The "Sunrise Mountain" is Camels Hump, a.k.a. Couching Lion, in Vermont, the heart and soul of my old stomping grounds.

1:14 a.m. on April 18, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

How about this shot? There's two names for the mountain, who can guess both?

Kayla, I know you know so please let someone else guess it.

8:34 p.m. on April 18, 2010 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

I'd say Sleeping Giant State Park, or Mt. Carmel. Except that the giant is sleeping the wrong way.

9:43 p.m. on April 18, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

The name is close to right, but not the right name. I am not sure where Sleeping Giant State Park. This is in the Rocky Mountains in Wyoming. And is facing the right way from the valley I shot it from. Its taken at sunrise.

3:20 a.m. on April 19, 2010 (EDT)
773 reviewer rep
681 forum posts

No way I would have got that one. Seems like we've got an east-west thing going here. Maybe I should try to find another place in upstate New York? Anyway, try this one:

10:23 a.m. on April 19, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

Actually a friend and I were just talking about places that have crumbled and I mentioned this one. Thats the Old Man of the Mountain (also known as the Great Stone face and the Profile) on Cannon Mountain in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. It collapsed on May 3,2003. Here is an overlay of what it looks like now, with what it looked like before. It was first recorded in 1805. In fact the picture you have above was takem 6 days before it crumbled. And its on the reverse side of the state Quarter and the state motto is "Live Free or Die".

My picture above that someone guessed as the Sleeping Giant is not the right answer. It is in Wyoming , part of the Gros Ventre Range near Jackson Hole. It can be seen just north of the town of Jackson.

2:14 p.m. on April 19, 2010 (EDT)
22 reviewer rep
76 forum posts

Actually a friend and I were just talking about places that have crumbled and I mentioned this one. Thats the Old Man of the Mountain (also known as the Great Stone face and the Profile) on Cannon Mountain in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. It collapsed on May 3,2003. Here is an overlay of what it looks like now, with what it looked like before. It was first recorded in 1805. In fact the picture you have above was takem 6 days before it crumbled. And its on the reverse side of the state Quarter and the state motto is "Live Free or Die".

My picture above that someone guessed as the Sleeping Giant is not the right answer. It is in Wyoming , part of the Gros Ventre Range near Jackson Hole. It can be seen just north of the town of Jackson.

Cool Gary, thanks for sharing that. Too bad it crumbled.

2:29 p.m. on April 19, 2010 (EDT)
773 reviewer rep
681 forum posts

Although I was already living in Norway, I was on a visit to NH just a few days after the Old Man fell. My dad was living near Franconia at the time, and I went up to Franconia Notch to pay my respects. I've never been much of a rock climber, but in the 80s I did a few of the easier climbs on Cannon, including a couple that top out on the Old Man. By then he had sagged enough where state park employees had gone up there with 5 gallon buckets of epoxy and filled in some of the cracks on top to keep water out and also drilled and bolted and put in a bunch of cables to try to hold it all together. The epoxy buckets were just thrown into the bushes right at the top, probably still there for all I know. When I visited after he fell you could still see a few of the cables hanging up there. Also, back in the 50s or 60s or maybe earlier some AMC pranksters went up there and tied a bunch of bushes to his chin to give him a beard, but I can't find any pictures on the internet.

1:40 p.m. on April 20, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

The mountain in my "guess it image" is called The Sleeping Indian as it looks like that. Its name on a Topo map is Sheep Mountain. I have hiked up it along from the north end from the Gros Ventre Slide near the Town of Kelly Wy

Here is the view of it from just north of the town of Jackson .It is on the horizon between the higher mtn on the right and the lower hill in the middle upper center. This is also the National Elk Refuge with Flat Creek and late summer color.

3:40 p.m. on April 20, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

How about this one? The one just off upper center right. It's in Wyoming too!

7:57 p.m. on April 23, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

No guess'es one the picture above?

10:47 p.m. on April 23, 2010 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

Wyoming?!?!

11:10 p.m. on April 23, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

Well yove narrowed it down to the state, how about what the mountain is?

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply