Senna and the Art of Bowel Maintenance

6:14 a.m. on April 21, 2010 (EDT)
52 reviewer rep
312 forum posts

The turd thread reminded me that some people are not lucky enough to get as far as negotiating the technicalities of load dumping outdoors.
I am interested in the problem of maintaining some kind of regularity by either supplementing the lousy outdoor diet or replacing certain foods. I'm thinking along the lines of what particular cereals, such as oats versus wheat for breakfast, processed or unprocessed, and so on. Also, what supplements, such as Senna, and in what doses, do people take? Are prunes the way forward?
I usually don't have a problem, neither physical nor psychological, with getting unstuck; but some people have both aspects to deal with. Therefore, is there a diet that combats both the physical and the psychological resistance to outdoor expression?
Yet the problem I often experience is related: controlled explosions and how to spot the signs of impending doom. Up until now I have just blamed the hip belt pressure.
Therefore I think that any advice for constipation, especially regarding the right natural diet, would be helpful to both extremes (as with the increasingly common IBS situation).

6:29 a.m. on April 21, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

Make sure you're hydrated - it's water that keeps most peoples digestive systems happy. I've noticed that if I'm not well hydrated the system kinda slows to a crawl.

8:46 a.m. on April 21, 2010 (EDT)
18 reviewer rep
26 forum posts

Well, ok, I have to confess that I am happy to see this thread...though I have little to contribute, other than to say that I will be checking back in for advice.

I find my trail diet tends to be wildly either/or. EITHER I get a big dose of fiber (mega bowl of oatmeal for breakfast)...OR I am eating a protein bar, a hunk of cheese, and a handful of nut-thick trailmix.

Of course, extremes going in lead to extremes coming out.

(Obviously the answer is self-evident. I need to change my diet! But I'd like to know--specifically--how other people with my stop-and-go problem handle it.)

11:25 p.m. on April 21, 2010 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,276 forum posts

If anyone is really concern metramusal will keep you regular, regardless of what else you ingest, and is very lightweight.
Ed

8:52 p.m. on April 24, 2010 (EDT)
16 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

Nothin like a good hot cup of joe after crawlin out of the tent in the mornin to get the system goin... does the trick for me every time

and i will add that GSI outdoors makes a great backcountry java-press... i pack mine in every hike

-Brad

11:51 a.m. on May 3, 2010 (EDT)
6 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

Hi Pathloser,

The problem with laxatives are that there is no predicting when or where you will need to relieve yourself after taking them therefore I don't recommend them. It sometimes takes a while to get the pack off, the pants down and so on! LOL Pick your trail bars based on fiber content and also take nuts and raisins. A good balance of soluble and insoluble fibers is best. Just google the different types and you can find out which foods contain both. Metamucil is a good soluble fiber source as whomeworry mentioned and he is right it is light. Bran buds (they now come in single serving pouches) are a good source of insoluble and can be added to cup of soup to make it more filling and to help in the fiber department. Soups also that contain beans or lentils are also great. Jjust keep in mind that if you eat lots of insoluble fiber you will need to drink extra fluids! Otherwise it may have the opposite effect and will bind you tighter than ever! Hope some of this will be helpful!

Jacqueline

12:21 a.m. on May 16, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,242 reviewer rep
257 forum posts

People eat the quick burn instant carb stuff without balancing it with other stuff. One of the very best ways I combat that is to use carb-balance tortillas from Mission. I use the whole wheat version--the one with the most fiber. AND I make sure that if I am out for a longer trip that I eat dehy refries with that tortilla at least once.

When I am working hard and burning off all those calories, and drinking the water I am supposed to, I don't bonk, and in turn, EVERYthing is happy. (Fiber makes the carbs behave better so they do a slow burn rather than the spike and drop). With so many nutrition posts on here, I don't need to revisit the menu, but find ways to eat plenty o' natural fiber--another of my favs is chocolate covered raisins. They are that perfect pick me up when I'm feeling a bit sluggish, and fiber does its job with out making me sick.

So, balance the quick carb fixed meals, find ways to take dried fruit, and drink lots of water. As long as you are working pretty hard, your body should do OK. Just use common sense and good cat holes, and everybody should be happy :)

July 22, 2014
Quick Reply