External Frame back Pack

9:03 a.m. on May 5, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I am from Wales UK and I am having real trouble in finding a Large External frame Back Pack ie:- Kelty Tioga 5000 or any similar Pack Although I think the Tioga would be the ideal sack for me.

It seems like every Back Pack stockist thinks that everyone in the uk just needs a little bag on there back to carry there tent from the car to the campsite. I do not use/never have used credit. Cash until now has always serverd me best. No-one around here knows a thing about these backs so, I was hopeing you guys could help me.

I like to carry the camp on my back. I like the exercise involved in moving camp. I think its all part of the experience. I need to know as much as possible in order to buy an external frame pack and where the best place is to buy one. If you know of any companyies selling directly into the uk then all the better. I have been looking for years around wales.

Hopeing for help.

Darren

10:48 a.m. on May 5, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

Kelty Tioga's and the like show up on ebay all the time, many of the ebay sellers will ship internationally. I'd start there.

7:04 p.m. on May 5, 2010 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
59 forum posts

i bought a kelty trekker off ebay, only payed about 50 bucks for it and its in awsome shape a little banged up but for the money cant be beat

9:40 p.m. on May 5, 2010 (EDT)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

I just purchased my third Kelty External Frame off Ebay. It was .99 cents... lol. The seller ripped me off and charged me 50.00 shipping. When I know for a fact it can be shipped for around $20.00

After doing a lot of shopping I found buying the older Kelty Super Tioga's external frame is cheaper than buying the same pack new for $350.00 because it's labeled hunting.

10:04 p.m. on May 5, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
64 forum posts

Are you familiar with REI stores in the U.S.? Not only do they carry the Kelty 5500 Tioga,they ship internationally.They are restricted to shipping certain brand names overseas but Kelty is'nt one of them.

8:08 a.m. on May 6, 2010 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

Good thing about buying Kelty, is they will sell replacement straps, even for packs made in the 1980s. The Tioga is a great choice for your purposes, as long as you stay on trail. I find a internal frame packs provide better balance on snow or over rugged cross country treks.
Ed

11:16 p.m. on May 10, 2010 (EDT)
108 reviewer rep
45 forum posts

I love my JanSport Carson 80 for when I go with my two kids, and need to lighten their loads for family unity...
I have stripped off the top bar, and could get rid of more stuff (I am thinking of eliminating the side pockets...)
It is far lighter than almost all comparably sized internals.
Check out the reviews on Trailspace.

I got mine from REI outlet for $59, I think, as a deal of the day.

A

1:59 p.m. on May 27, 2010 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

I've been trying to buy a Tioga 5500 since March! and the places with the best prices (under $150US) like CampingGearDepot.com and CollegeBackpacking.com have been out of stock- just like Amazon.com, REI.com, and MountainSports.com. Has there been a problem with the 5500? It still appears on Kelty's website so it's not like it's been discontinued or anything.

I have still have a backorder at CollegeBackpacking.com but I may have to decide on a different pack because I'm going to need one by the end of June.

August 22, 2014
Quick Reply