9:53 a.m. on May 31, 2010 (EDT)
363 reviewer rep
130 forum posts

This is an interesting story.

Backpacker shoots, kills grizzly in Alaska park

10:55 a.m. on May 31, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,214 forum posts

Yes, that is an interesting story. I have hiked many times in Denali Nat'l Park since 1978 and have encountered bears but never had a bad time with them. Interesting how its legal to carry a firearm in a Nat'l Park.

7:48 p.m. on May 31, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
28 forum posts

Interesting indeed. I have heard first-hand from an Alaskan geologist: that 6 shots from a 357 Magnum did not stop a grizzly from ripping a hiker out of a tree and mauling him. The bear died soon thereafter from the wounds and the hiker survived.

Another Alaska buddy used to laughingly say that he carried a 44 Magnum revolver to shoot himself, if attacked by a grizzly.

8:02 p.m. on May 31, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

The wife made me scare a bear away from the trash camping here in CO last night. I decided to use my headlamp and dog instead of a .45, though.

Seriously, though, the article said justification for the shooting is being determined, but it seems if it was a negligent shooting, he wouldn't have taken the time to report it to a ranger.

10:47 p.m. on May 31, 2010 (EDT)
7 reviewer rep
2 forum posts
10:15 a.m. on June 1, 2010 (EDT)
42 reviewer rep
95 forum posts

"My dad could beat up your dad."

"Oh yeah, well my dad killed a bear with a log."

10:34 a.m. on June 1, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,214 forum posts

I would have liked it better had the bear been scared off by the gunshot, killing a bear in a Nat' Park is not cool.

11:22 a.m. on June 1, 2010 (EDT)
27 reviewer rep
200 forum posts

I love this little nugget that perfectly demonstrates the utter failure that is our legislative process.

It's legal to carry firearms in that area of the park but illegal to discharge them.

11:41 a.m. on June 1, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

I love this little nugget that perfectly demonstrates the utter failure that is our legislative process.

It's legal to carry firearms in that area of the park but illegal to discharge them.

Guess I really don't have issues with the law. Many years ago I was fishing in an area I had to hike about 5 miles to get to. While fishing, 3 individuals carrying beer cans in hand took issue with me being in "their" favorite spot. As they spouted to themselves how they were going to dismember me and take my gear, I encouraged them to find "another" favorite spot. That first round of encouragement was placed at their feet. There was no need for another.

That encounter was the last time I fished in that area. Have no interest in interacting with fools.

Big Bend National Park has a similar law. I did keep encouragement in the Yukon, but didn't pack it while hiking. I was more concerned over undocumented visitors showing up at camp at night than meeting them on the trail during my day hikes.

4:02 p.m. on June 1, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,597 reviewer rep
1,247 forum posts

Gotta give the guy credit. Trained police officers only hit 19-40% in real gunfights. Adrenealine and fine motor skills don't mix well. Though a .45 isn't my first choice for charging bears (is there anything big enough?) I'm glad it worked for him.

As for the law, "Better judged by twelve than carried by six." Or in this case, carried by the digestive system of one satisfied bear.

4:46 p.m. on June 1, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
415 forum posts

Just a reminder: the moratorium on firearms discussions is still in effect.

If you're new to Trailspace, click on the link to see what I'm talking about. Nutshell synopsis: anytime guns come up, the discussions become the 800-pound grizzly of the forums, so we decided that the issues had been hashed out in sufficient quantity and said enough was enough.

It's still fine to post links to news items that might involve firearms, just remember before you chime in that the pros and cons of guns in the woods have already been explored here in great detail.

4:54 p.m. on June 1, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

It is a shame that an Alaskan Brown Bear was killed, though if a bear charged my wife, regardless of where I was, I wouldn't hesitate to do watever I could to protect her. The same holds true regarding any creature, whether human or not. It should be noted also that unlike the lower 48 where they are threatened, Alaska alone has a Brown Bear population of some 30,000 to 40,000.

5:19 p.m. on June 1, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

Just a reminder: the moratorium on firearms discussions is still in effect.

If you're new to Trailspace, click on the link to see what I'm talking about. Nutshell synopsis: anytime guns come up, the discussions become the 800-pound grizzly of the forums, so we decided that the issues had been hashed out in sufficient quantity and said enough was enough.

It's still fine to post links to news items that might involve firearms, just remember before you chime in that the pros and cons of guns in the woods have already been explored here in great detail.

Sorry. Guess I would fall into the semi-new to Trailspace crowd. Need to actually look at the rules and guidelines now.

Added to post

Just went over the rules and guidelines. It might not hurt to have a #13 on this subject to go along with the moratorium.

randy

2:10 p.m. on June 2, 2010 (EDT)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

I have been reading about dealing with bears when backpacking. I have read that bear spray is better then a firearm. I would take both to be safe. Should I deploy the spray first? I could see the spray working for bandits as well.

I have also read you should get the big bottle of bear spray. That sounds like good advice.

2:29 p.m. on June 2, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
685 reviewer rep
3,100 forum posts

Anyone interested in this topic should read "Hiking and Camping Safely in Bear Country" in the Skills section.

12:04 p.m. on June 3, 2010 (EDT)
27 reviewer rep
200 forum posts

Sorry, Tom, I didn't mean to stir any hornet's nest. My point was more toward the nonsensical nature of the regulation and not intended as a social commentary on weapons. I was simply imagining legally possessing an object whose actual use is illegal.

12:15 p.m. on June 3, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
415 forum posts

Yock: no need to apologize, that was a valid point.

I didn't have any specific posts in mind -- this topic turns into a wildfire from the tiniest spark; I was just wetting the tinder, so to speak.

3:15 p.m. on June 4, 2010 (EDT)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

Guns are off limits to talk about? OK, I think that is a bit emasculated but I will play by the rules of the forums.

5:58 p.m. on June 4, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
28 forum posts

What i find to be quite silly is the fact that you can now carry a firearm into Denali but its illegal to discharge it "fire it".

I've watched some amazing video's of charging grizzly's over the past couple of days and everyone was a mock charge,perhaps this was the case.

That said....it would be selfish of me to judge this hikers actions without being in his shoes.

I only have to deal with black bears and they respond to me the same as deer do.....GONE.

8:04 p.m. on June 12, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

I sometimes carry bear spray. I did extensive research and only found one that seemed to work. All others had as many negative comments as positive comments, meaning the sprays failed many people. I for one would not want to cary anything that was only 50:50 when being charged by a grizzlie. No, I will not tell you what I carry. You need to do your own research to determine your own comfort level if all you carry is a bear spray.

1:36 p.m. on June 13, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Better to judged by 12 than carried by 6. I always say but then again there may be extenuating circumstances s well.

October 23, 2014
Quick Reply