survival

10:20 a.m. on June 2, 2010 (EDT)
363 reviewer rep
131 forum posts

Situations like this remind me of how every person in this country should have basic survival skills. If he was injured or had an injured partner I could maybe understand. But just because he lacked common sense survival skills, no...

10:47 a.m. on June 2, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,349 forum posts

Like the article said:

Anybody traveling in unfamiliar territory in the north should carry a survival kit, including matches, he said.

"The best thing is, stay where you are and build a big bonfire."

Three fires at triangle points from each other is a better way, and making them smokey with pine needles or leaves draws attention.

A decade or so ago there was a guy lost in the Catalina's near Tucson who started a brush fire to draw attention to him. He ended up burning over 5000 acres and was saved.

1:50 p.m. on June 2, 2010 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

This is not a new scenario. I remember seeing it in a movie once, only the victim shot the telephone lines down. The phone company came out (in a track vehicle) and rescued the lost party. Maybe that's where this person got the idea?

I have to be honest, as a survival instructor, I do teach "Use what you've got available, and be resourceful." You can't deny it. He did, and was. if he was wet from the weather, after a couple of days he may have been in bad mental and physical condition. we'll never know all the details, but hey, he's alive - and THAT is what survival is all about Charlie Brown.

7:52 p.m. on June 2, 2010 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

He has an axe, and can't come up with a more cleaver, conscientious way to use it in this circumstance? Lord knows it is blasphemy to use that axe to cut up a perfectly good boat to create makeshift snow shoes and a pug/shelter to carry whatever necessary to where he can get help. The largess of the inconvenienced communities will be reflected in the number of civil torts directed his way.

Ed

9:39 p.m. on June 3, 2010 (EDT)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

I have to agree with f_klock here, when you are stuck somewhere, you have to use what you have and do so as resourcefully as possible. He definitly was thinking that someone would notice some power lines were out.

Now I have never been stranded in the woods and I don't know how many others have [here], but who knows what your state of mind would be if you were lost in the woods for several days, so if he was able to come up with any feasible plan, I say good on him! Granted, now he will probably have to deal with some civil/judicial issues, but hey, he is alive to do it!

DJ

7:25 p.m. on June 4, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,627 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

Reminds me of the Patrick F. McMannus (a humorous author) story where he recommends you start a forest fire and hope that the smokejumpers help you out.

If it were me, with my luck, the powerlines would have run to some vacant vacation homes!

December 21, 2014
Quick Reply