About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Favorite Season/Favorite Weather? What gets you moving?

8:43 p.m. on June 7, 2010 (EDT)
20 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

I want to know what everyone's favorite season to go backpacking/camping/hiking? What is it that makes it your favorite? Is it the weather, temperature, bugs and/or lack there of, the moisture, apparel selection, physical excretion? I wanna know it all.

For me, I love all 4 season as I am sure plenty of people do, but the reason I love backpacking in the 4th season is the barren landscapes. Foliage can get on my nerves during the warmer seasons because it obscures vistas that can be very difficult to obtain. There is nothing like waking up before dawn on a cold morning right after fresh snow fall, hiking to a vista and enjoying the ice crystals shimmer with the low angle morning light. The lack of bugs is a plus, as well as the very cold temperatures give me a chance to break out my nicer, warmer, gear. Base layers and a hard shell really get me going, basically my dirty duo for backpacking with my nice 650 fill goose jacket for camp. Cold nights are just that, cold. But that doesn't mean they can not be appreciated. The colder the night, the more I love every dime put into the gear I have.

What gets your moving?

10:11 p.m. on June 7, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

Winter...Spring...Fall I love, but I hate summer!

I live in the southeast and it gets hotter and more humid than I care to mess with most times. Not to mention the bugs, awh the bugs! I will go backpacking during summer IF the destination is a cool, shady mountain cove, preferably with a waterfall nearby. I worked out in summer heat for many years and I'm just done with it.

I do love cooler weather though and so far it does not get cold enough around here to keep me from getting out in the woods. I guess everyone is different but I love cold weather. I just take appropriate clothing and I'm fine. I enjoy cold wind blowing in my face as I top a big hill. Granted our winters are not extremely harsh, and I'm sure many people wait for warmer weather to go out.

After a long hot summer I get excited when I feel the first cool breezes of Autumn. I start going through my gear and pull out the warmer clothes, and finalize my backpacking plans.

I also break out the fishing waders and fishing gear.

You can't beat a cold mountain stream full of rocks.

12:09 a.m. on June 8, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,931 forum posts

Fall, Winter and Spring are my favorites. I especially look forward to Fall when I am finally leaving my Summer job again to take of 9 months of vacation. After 34 years I still prefer to work the summers when business is good and I can save enough to last me from September to May. Most of the tourists have gone back to work and school.

For 34 years I worked primary in Jackson Hole, with a few summers in Denali,Glacier,Yosemite and Zion Nat'l Parks. I used to camp in Jackson Hole till the late 90s when the forest service changed their camping regulations. Then I lived with friends cheaply and still saved 90% of my summer earnings so I could go out 9 months of freedom.

This year I am in Flagstaff working part time labor jobs and getting unemployment saving up for September, when I am planning to bicycle tour up to Southern Utah and Northern Arizona to hike the Paria, the Parunuweap and the canyons around the Vermillion Cliffs.

A seep cave along the Parunuweap. Its about 10 feet tall and goes back about 15 feet with a width of 15 feet. I may spend some time in this cave this midwinter.

11:20 a.m. on June 8, 2010 (EDT)
120 reviewer rep
137 forum posts

I live in Michigan, and the winters can be brutal. While that doesn't keep me from getting out there, when we finally do thaw out with the coming of spring, you can't help but feel reborn. Getting out this time of year, you see all of the other life that surrounds you experiencing the same rebirth, and it's a really magical experience. I love the summer and fall as well, and hiking in the springtime just reminds you of all the months of camps and trails that still wait ahead of you. It's that combination of rejuvenation and anticipation that make springtime MY favorite.

2:23 p.m. on June 8, 2010 (EDT)
20 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

Ghost~ I'm sure you enjoyed this winter! From what I understand, correct me if I'm wrong, the majority of the frontal weather systems trended to the south-east leaving Michigan to have a cold, but not overwhelmingly snowy winter.

Trout~Could not agree more, I look forward year round to spring and primarily fall is the best time to break out the rod and reel to go fishin!

Summer may be a difficult and at times uncomfortable season to go backpacking, but the rewards can be beautiful and plentiful. Diverse species of bugs and animals, beautiful, diverse flowers blooming throughout the season, and the fact that swimming holes are open for those willing to brave the still frigid waters. Nothing beats basking in the sun after a dip in a cool swimming hole.

7:47 p.m. on June 8, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

Definitely Autumn.

The cool air, fragranced with leaves and earth, causes a deep yearning and restlessness in me, as if for something or somewhere that I have forgotten, but of which I still remember the feeling.

I feel more connected with the mountains and forests in the autumn than any other time of year. I love the colors and smells, the way the light plays differently though the air, and the the fleeting sorrowful beauty as the plants shed their mantles.

9:39 p.m. on June 8, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

Spring, Spring, Spring!

I have a wonderful bluff to go walk that is just a few minutes from home. I can see the front range of CO from Longs Peak to Pikes Peak. Got chased off by the clouds and we have a down pour with thunder and lightning that is cooling off the day.

I love Spring and the green. Makes a little bit of me be re-born each year.

10:43 p.m. on June 8, 2010 (EDT)
108 reviewer rep
45 forum posts

The smell of the forest in spring is the best.
All the understory plants are growing and flowering their hearts out to beat the trees leaf out and the coming shade.
Also, being after winter, the odd cold spring day doesn't seem as bad as a cold fall day after the heat of summer.

2:10 p.m. on June 9, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,264 reviewer rep
1,250 forum posts

all four seasons, but particularly winter. i really enjoy nordic skiing and snowshoeing, and the wildlife and views are a pretty significant departure from the other three seasons, at least in the mid-atlantic & northeast. backpacking in deep snow w/snowshoes is a lot of work, but it buffers the weight and impact a lot. it's also amazingly quiet if the wind is down.

3:11 p.m. on June 9, 2010 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

All seasons work for me.The only time i dont care for is early summer in the high country when the snow first melts off and the bugs,biting type,make their first showing.Deet works but they are annoying.Fall and winter are the top two but any time outdoors is good.Here in the pnw there is always somewhere to go and play regardless of the weather.

9:04 p.m. on June 9, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
80 forum posts

Winter for sure. Fresh snow, good forecast, throw on the split board and avy gear then call in sick.

We usually kick-off around 2-3am to be on our lines by 8-9am and for me traveling under a clear winter's night sky is almost as enjoyable as riding the mountain itself.

11:35 p.m. on June 9, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

For me i will have to say my favorite season is fall as far as the weather goes i like nice warm days and cool nights. But I don't discriminate I camp, hike & backpack year round in all types of weather.

12:05 a.m. on June 10, 2010 (EDT)
16 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

I gotta say Springgg gets me GOIN then all other seasons. with a few circumstancial exceptions.

After a dark chilly Winter, when the trees and plants start sprouting and the mountains become green again I get the most motivation than any other time to get out and active in the backcountry. In April and May everything just seems to come alive and thriving again, urging me to get out and explore.

With Summer comes a couple months of freedom from my engr classes and allows a couple long distance hikes which are my fav. but with that comes the humid heat and BUGS.. especially here in TN/NC and the Southeast.

Winter allows favorable soliude and solemn scenery, while Fall has the awesome foliage.

all in all ill get out no matter the season, but in the Spring.. I come alive

3:49 a.m. on June 10, 2010 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
2,224 forum posts

Late May in Zion, and fall colors of New England.

Zion is just mesmerizing in spring. Green fauna against red and buff cliffs. Occasionally there’ll be a late season snow, and dusting the shoulders of the bluffs, creating a unique beauty of its own.

The New England falls are well known, no need to explain their appeal.
Ed

9:34 a.m. on June 10, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

Renegade887, do I guess correctly that some of your photos are up on Huckleberry Knob?

11:51 a.m. on June 10, 2010 (EDT)
16 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

You guessed quite correctly gonzan. actually went up there back in November I believe, for a quick over-nighter with the lady. We lucked out and It was probably one of the LAST decently warm days of the fall at around 65, til Winter took over. gotta love the 360 degree view up there

1:58 p.m. on June 10, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

It is an amazing place, especially considering it is so accesible. My wife and I went up there in september, and drove up from Chatt again in May. It got down to 28F while I was up there in May, which was pretty fun since it only got down to 50F in the valley.

7:18 p.m. on June 10, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,684 reviewer rep
1,277 forum posts

My motivation to get out there really starts going strong when the mercury drops. I thouroughly enjoy the winter season. There is nothing better than being in the backcountry with a gentle snow falling, the most serene feeling ever. I love to snowshoeing and running a kicksled with my siberian husky. The best part is that I am almost always completely alone with noone anywhere in sight for miles and miles. I love the warmer seasons too, but sometimes the amount of people and bugs on the trails can be overwhelming when trying to "get away from it all".

What makes winter my favorite season is the peacefullness , I've never heard anything as quiet and peaceful as standing in the middle of the backcountry after a snowfall. I also love the adventure of guiding my husky and the sled down through the backcountry over terrain that most would never even contemplate going through on a sled. Oh yeah, and the lack of bugs!

1:42 p.m. on June 14, 2010 (EDT)
20 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

Yes! This is exactly what I have been wanting to get some feedback on. I've been backpacking for some years now, but recently my "hobbie" has become more of an "obsession." After a long winter of numerous backpacking trips i have found the lack of spring time weather this year has really slowed my motivation to continue backpacking through the summer. Yes it has it's benefits, but summer temperatures in spring have limited me to the pool and day hikes.

I'd love to get a change of scenery, go backpacking in Idaho, Montana and Washington, but my work has kept me too busy here.

I have this moment in time replaying in my head, new years day 2010, I awoke at dawn that morning to a fresh foot of snowfall. The wind was howling but the clouds were finally breaking up. What I'd do to have that now...

There's nothing I can do about this summer but look forward to getting back out once the temperature and crowds drop. Thanks for the input and if y'all have any suggestions for back-country places of interest in the western states of America I'd like to hear them.

2:15 p.m. on June 14, 2010 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
21 forum posts

I'll camp in anything except if it's a solid downpour when I want to leave, then I just wait for another weekend.

12:52 p.m. on July 2, 2010 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

anywhere anytime the temp stays above freezing

6:59 p.m. on July 2, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,264 reviewer rep
5,186 forum posts

Awful lot of people here with narrow interests and tolerance.

My favorite season is any season, any time of year, any place on the surface of the Earth (or Moon or Mars, if I could get there). If it's outdoors, it's all good. Snow, rain, hail, sunshine, cloudy, clear, foggy - it's all good and fun. Windy, calm, well, I do avoid hurricanes and tornadoes (unlike a former poster on Trailspace), though 50-70 knot winds are acceptable. I tend to prefer something other than 90-90 weather, though that has its charms as well. Bugs, whether flying, creeping, or crawling, just go with the territory, and many of them are downright charming and fun (as long as they don't give me some sort of disease).

1:03 p.m. on July 4, 2010 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

only you and I and everyone else can live our own lives

April 21, 2014
Quick Reply