Hike Naked Day - June 21st!

11:36 p.m. on June 20, 2010 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Monday, June 21st is National Hike Naked Day. Um, good luck with that.

8:24 a.m. on June 21, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,166 forum posts

So, which one above is you, f_klock?

(ha ha!)

9:26 a.m. on June 21, 2010 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Why, I took the Picture, of course! No, not really. I totally stole this. But it IS Hike Naked Day. My only question is WHY?

9:30 a.m. on June 21, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

I met a guy in the Grand Canyon once that hiked naked. Like the guys above all he wore was his boots and a hat. He was far from anywhere he would normally run into many others.

10:39 a.m. on June 21, 2010 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
492 forum posts

No restriction on clothing in National Parks. Don't need a special day for it. A few years ago, I met a young lady hiking solo coming towards me. I didn't really realize until she had passed me that she was only wearing a pack and boots.

Not one of those things you usually check.

11:39 a.m. on June 21, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,445 reviewer rep
5,389 forum posts

Here in the SFBay Area, there a couple of naked hikers (no surprise, since this is the SFBay Area, after all). The rangers will sometimes admonish them if there are complaints, but they usually hike in remote areas and are rarely spotted. Considering the amount of poison oak in the hills here, ya really gotta wonder about why they take the risk.

A number of years back, when I was actively racing bicycles down in Mississippi and Louisiana, there was a stage of the annual Tour de New Orleans that was enlivened by a group of naked cyclists (coed group) riding around the course in the opposite direction of the race. The roads for the course were closed for the race, but apparently the local troopers weren't concerned with stopping them (north shore of Pontchartrain). Well, it was a fairly typical Deep South day of 90/90 weather, so maybe they were cooling off.

There are, however, a fairly large fraction of human bodies that are best covered up at all times.

12:18 p.m. on June 21, 2010 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

They should move this to the Arctic Circle....or at least Northern Alaska.

12:46 p.m. on June 21, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,555 forum posts

Well, I don't know what's going on in their heads, but it isn't common sense, or consideration of others.

We humans clothe ourselves primarily because we lack fur, repeated exposure to the elements has taught us that clothing is beneficial, not a hindrance.

Some people are just in their own world, and sometimes, it's too bad their world isn't physically separated from our own.

Just my opinion, I understand freedom of expression, but their rights end where mine begin.

Amusing though.

3:23 p.m. on June 21, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
773 reviewer rep
681 forum posts

Wear sunscreen.

5:31 p.m. on June 21, 2010 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

Hike naked on the longest day of the year? Excellent.

10:58 a.m. on June 22, 2010 (EDT)
25 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

Sorry the only dingle berries I want to see are maybe some wild blackberries or raspberries :-)

5:44 p.m. on June 22, 2010 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

I didn't really realize until she had passed me that she was only wearing a pack and boots.

You may want to check in with your optician to update your prescription, or cardiologist to confirm you still have a pulse! :)
Young phillies trotting around in the buff in the wilds is fine with me. But for the safety and mental well being of others I certainly will limit my skin display to bath time only.

Ed

7:40 p.m. on June 22, 2010 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
492 forum posts

eh? whzat ye sez? Here get closer to this battery contraption and look at me when ya talk, sonny.

That young couple that came by me just before were in shorts so it didn't click until she was abreast (heh) of me and then I noticed. These big packs and stuff hanging down from the shoulder straps distract from the unexpected obvious.

Actually, I was more interested in the Nikon double D she had.

What was that we were talking about? Sometime life goes by so fast, hard to keep up.

You in Speedo's might be considered a significant visual nuisance..pretty much like I would be.

I am much more aware of my surroundings now and have been cautioned (often) by wife to QUIT LOOKING at her THAT WAY! Dang. At my age, its the only way I have.

3:38 a.m. on June 23, 2010 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
70 forum posts

guess id be more worried about stinging biteing bugs and sun burn myself {:

11:31 a.m. on June 23, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
596 forum posts

Trout,

You said:

We humans clothe ourselves primarily because we lack fur, repeated exposure to the elements has taught us that clothing is beneficial, not a hindrance.

Not everyone in the world has that understanding. The tribes of central Australia generally wore a pubic tassel - both men and women. This was all their clothing - perhaps twenty strands of human hair a foot long - but if they were without this pubic tassel, they were considered wantonly naked.

Humans are curiously confused about naking. For example, if one were to pose as a nude model for a life drawing class, he must remove his clothes in a changing room and appear upon the raised stage nude. To actually remove his clothes on the stage would render him naked rather than nude; this is not allowed. : )

12:36 p.m. on June 23, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,555 forum posts

Trout,

You said:

Not everyone in the world has that understanding. The tribes of central Australia generally wore a pubic tassel - both men and women. This was all their clothing - perhaps twenty strands of human hair a foot long - but if they were without this pubic tassel, they were considered wantonly naked.

Humans are curiously confused about naking. For example, if one were to pose as a nude model for a life drawing class, he must remove his clothes in a changing room and appear upon the raised stage nude. To actually remove his clothes on the stage would render him naked rather than nude; this is not allowed. : )

Haha, a valid point I guess!

I should have said 'most humans'. I do not think a loin cloth is too much too ask or expect though.

Maybe the naked hikers would find themselves in good company among those who feel similarly.

12:39 p.m. on June 23, 2010 (EDT)
16 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

blast! why wasn't I informed earlier

...ouch though

December 18, 2014
Quick Reply