Just letting off some steam

1:36 p.m. on June 23, 2010 (EDT)
25 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

I came across an abused campsite while on a fishing vacation last week in WV at one of my favorite lakes to canoe and fish at. The place was trashed beyond belief, human waste , trash and destroyed and contaminated eco system and water shed, what was to be a peaceful backcountry canoe/fishing outing turned into a 2 day rescue mission, I ended up making 6 canoe trips back to the ranger station hauling a full canoe of trash each trip three trip a day for 2 days the rest of the time was spent trying to repair and restore the eco system, cleaning up smashed alcohol bottles, fire damage, soil damage you get the picture so I wanted to leave a note to the person (s) who did this, I know they will never see this or even

Why do you spoil our park?

Why do you leave your trash?

Did you not come here to enjoy the lake and the nature, did it offend you in such a way that you felt you needed to retaliate by trashing the land? Is your anger and contempt so much that you will spoil this site for everyone one for years to come including your children?

Was your upbringing so awful that you learned to respect nothing including yourself?

Do you expect everything to be handed to you? To be cleaned up after, someone always there to wipe your bum?

I cleaned up your campsite and removed your trash for you, I buried your waste and cleaned the area by the water you fouled, I removed your ring of burnt rocks and cleaned them as best as I could and replaced them where you ripped them from the earth, I clean-cut the limbs you tore and ripped from the trees and put things back as best as I could for you.

I did this not just for you but for everyone who will visit the site and the trail, so that their experience will not be mired by you inconsiderate ways. I spent 2 days of my 5 day trip to the lake cleaning up your filth, but it was worth it to know that I left it So MUCH better than you did, I nursed and cared for it so that others will never know your abhorrence to nature, I walked away with a sense of tranquility and harmony with myself and with my deed where you just walked away.

You probably do not even read or belong to this site but like minded custodians of our lands and parks do, and we all know who you are we have seen your filth a thousand times and have cleaned up after you each time and will continue to do so for many years to come until someday respect will come to all who have none for what has been given to us to share and protect and conserve and nature will not be taken for granted anymore and the transgressions we force upon our lands will end.

You’re welcome

R_Ranger

2:10 p.m. on June 23, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,478 forum posts

Yeah.....you tell 'em!

I have had to do this as well. Hauling trash from a local lake island, including a 20 lb propane tank....with a bullet hole in it.

At some point it gets old trying to be nice and just talk to these kinds of people. Too bad we can't catch them in the act and place them in the 'ole stocks in the village square.

Now you got me fired up.

2:35 p.m. on June 23, 2010 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Unfortuantely you can take the trash out of the trailer, but you can't take the trailer of of the trash.
Thank you for your stewardship.
Ed

2:38 p.m. on June 23, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

I here ya, I think a lot of us here have run across similar situations I know I have. I is very disheartening and down right aggravating to see this type of crime. I found a similar situation about 3 weeks ago when I was backpacking. I ended up staying in that site and the people that were camping close by for the weekend cleaned up most of the mess and I finished cleaning it. I was really surprised to find out who made the mess, as I was talking to the couple they told me they had meant them and they had stated they were on leave from Ft. Drum they were attached to 10th Mountain.

5:49 p.m. on June 23, 2010 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

sorry about your trip

but thanks for cleaning up

cary

6:46 p.m. on June 23, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
36 forum posts

What a shame, just far too many ignorant people in the world and far to few people willing to pick up the ignorant people's mess - thanks for being one of the good/generous minority in that equation.

If the same rules applied today as they did 10k years ago I think half of our population would have been eaten by lions a long time ago, maybe we need to release some lions in WV to get some Darwinian balance in place :)

Josh

10:17 p.m. on June 23, 2010 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

I wonder if those fools believe in karma???

Thanks Rescue Ranger, your deeds are apreciated by those of us who care for our earth and enjoy her beauty.

9:42 a.m. on June 24, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

These kinds of things never cease to amaze me. I can't imagine why you would even want to make such a mess, and live amongst your own filth. Though you can't really go caving in TN any more because of WNS, in the past I have cleaned up piles of trash, beer cans, and liquor bottles from locations as much as 2 MILES underground. Really? How does one even come to the conclusion that it is a good idea to get drunk miles into the bowels of the earth? Many of those labyrintian cave systems stretch for tens of miles, and most are not fully charted. That shit's just plain stupid. Darwin Award material for sure.

11:28 a.m. on June 24, 2010 (EDT)
16 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

jeez I feel your frustration Ranger. I get disgusted anytime I even see the smallest bit of trash left behind at what should be pristine wilderness. dont know how many times ive picked up empty ramen noodle seasoning packets at previously used campsites

Most recently, one thing that infuriated me happened one day when hiking alone on the Cumberland trail and I came across one of the LARGEST, oldest and most beautiful hemlock trees on the trail. Admiring it i come around to the other side and discover an enormous gash in the side about waist level where some jackass had a field day with a hatchet. Really? i was livid.

Anyway, hope you were able to enjoy the rest of your trip, thanks for your deed to nature and preach on brother

3:37 p.m. on July 13, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
22 forum posts

Years ago, some friends and I ran into a similar experience 3 days into a hike and many miles from anywhere. It is very frustrating to see this anywhere, but for me it is particularly bad back country. Needless to say, our packs were a bit heavier on the way out.

September 21, 2014
Quick Reply