Signal Mountain TN

12:49 p.m. on June 30, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,120 forum posts

Wow, Gonzan, I was just looking at your area in Tennessee. That looks very interesting there? I looked it up because there is a place in Jackson Hole WY called Signal Mountain too.

How high is the elevation and the mountain looks very long south to northeast? Do you have any pictures to share?

Signal Mtn reflected in the Snake River in Jackson Hole WY. Thats the Teton range barely visible behind. It has a lodge and resturant near its top on the west side.

The mountain on the far right behind Signal Mtn above is Mount Moran as seen on the right of this image. Grand Teton is the highest one in the middle and Buck Mtn is on the far left. In summer there is a horse trail that leads to the top of Buck Mtn. Mt Moran has a volcanic plug in its top. The Teton range sits on the Pacific (Idaho side,west) and Atlantic (JH, eastern side) The range has uplifted over millions of years, with the exposed eastern side facing me being once below the valley of Jackson Hole.

2:06 p.m. on June 30, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Gary, Signal Mountain, which rises to the west side of Chattanooga, is quite an interesting formation.

The Chattanooga area is really beautiful, with the Signal Mountain/Walden's Ridge formation to the west, Lookout Mountain rearing up to the south, Missionary ridge on the east, and the White Oak Mountain Range furthar to the east. The higher Apalachians are just a short drive away as well.

This is a view a couple blocks from my house at Signal Point, looking out over the Tennessee River Gorge.

Signal Mountain about 2,000ft tall, and is the southernmost section of a long, slender formation called Wanden's Ridge. It extends north for 75 miles and forms the western rim of the Tennessee Valley.

Here is a photo of Signal Mountain with Chattanooga in the foreground. The cleft in the mountain behind is the location of the North Chicamouaga Creek Preserve that TroutHunter has mentioned a number of times.

Signal Mountain / Walden's Ridge is actaully and section of the Cumberland Plateau that is removed from the main Plateau by a stunning rift called the Sequatchie Valley.

This is a veiw of the Sequatchie Valley from the western rim of Signal Mountain.

Lookout Mountain Rises 2400 feet to the south of Chattanooga, with the Tennessee River doing some geographic acrobatics to manuever around all of these mountains and ridges. There is a huge loop called Moccasin Bend at the foot of Lookout Mountain where the massive river nearly doubles back on itself.

This is a photo from the 2400ft peak of the mountain looking down on Moccasin Bend, with Chattanooga obscured by the mist in the upper right corner of the photo.

Here is a shot of one of Chattanooga's waterfront parks, with Lookout Mountain rising about the city to the south.

I have several photos in my albums here on trail space of another rift-gorge in the the side of Signal Mountain called Laurel Snow Pocket Wilderness, that I greatly enjoy.

This is Laurel Falls, one of the two waterfalls for which the pocket wilderness is named.

(please forgive any spelling or grammatical errors, I replied to this in a hurry)

2:40 p.m. on June 30, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,120 forum posts

Wow, I have'nt ever been to Tennessee, But I think its about time I do. I have lived in the western USA since 1980. Wyoming, Alaska,Arizona, California and Utah mostly. Kentucky and Tennessee both look like beautiful areas. I really like that image of Moccasin Bend above. Did you take that? Thats gonna be my new screen saver!

This is a close-up on the Tetons from Jenny Lake (out of shot below) Grand Teton is the one on the right in shadow and Teewonot is the left one.

This is the Grand behind Blacktail Butte.

This is the south Teton Range from in the Gros Ventre mounains on the opposite side of JH.

This is looking west on Antelope Flats on the north Elk Refuge.

Just before sunrise from southeast end of Jackson Hole

The town of Jackson with the Elk Refuge to the upper right and the Tetons to the left from Snow King Mountain. Town is about 1x2 miles in area. The lower hills in between twon and the mountains are the Gros Ventre Buttes. This was shot in 2008 in July. We had had 650+ inches total snowfall the winter of 07-08 and much of it was left above treeline all summer.

3:58 p.m. on June 30, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I will be out near Jackson Hole for a week this september, and I am REALLY looking forward to it. I have never been further west than the ozarks.

Our mountains and ridges here in the east can't shake a stick at the western mountains in terms of ruggedness and height, but I think the Appalachains have to be one of the most beautiful and beguiling places in the world.

I didn't take that photo; all of the images I posted above (except for the one of laurel falls) were pulled from the internet.

4:26 p.m. on June 30, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Excellent job to both of you, thanks for the photos.

Since I have moved to the coast of SC I sure do miss the ability to hop in the truck and drive a short distance to go backpacking in the mountains.

Gonzan, you do need to warn Gary about the Gnomes & such on Lookout Mountain, especially in Rock City.

They scared the h*** out of my kids when they were little. They liked them later when they got a little older though. Funny memories.

4:37 p.m. on June 30, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,120 forum posts

Let me know Gonzan when you are going to be up in Jackson Hole, I plan to be back there by mid August. Maybe we can get together to see some of its wild country.

9:18 p.m. on June 30, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Sounds great Gary, I will let you know- and likewise if you do make your way out near Chattanooga.

some of your photos mention an Elk Preserve- interestingly enough, the TWRA is starting to reintroduce elk into the wild here in TN. Maybe someday we will have both elk and bison roaming free again in the wilds of Tennessee.

10:52 a.m. on July 1, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,120 forum posts

What is Chattanooga named from? Is that an Indian word or a early american word for something about the area?

11:36 a.m. on July 1, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Scholars have debated the origin of the name for decades, but the explanation that seems most reliable was given by Joshua Ross, nephew of John Ross. John Ross was the Chief of the Cherokee Nation from 1828 to 1866, and was one of the most pivital individuals in the development of what became the City of Chattanooga.

Joshua Ross declared that the name Chattanooga was derived from the Creek Indian word "Chat-to-to-noog-gee" which means "rock rising to a point." That name clearly describes Lookout Mountain, the most prominent landmark of the town, which can be seen from over a hundred miles away.

There is other explanation that may hold some merit: the Cherokee word for town was "Nooga", and the Cherokee were the predominant Native American population of the region. However, it is reported that Choctaw Indians inhabited the south bank of the Tennessee River in that area. This has led some scholars to extrapolate that Chattanooga, which first developed on the south side of the river, was referred to as "Choctaw-Nooga", which eventually morphed into the name "Chattanooga."

It is possible that both of the explanations are true to some extent, with the town being referred to by names that were phonetically almost identical, yet derived from different origins.

12:33 p.m. on July 2, 2010 (EDT)
16 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

Hey great thread fellas.

I've lived here in Chattanooga and the TN valley all my life and love every aspect of it from the Cumberland Plateau to the Southern Appalachians. The location, in my opinion, is unbeatable. Such a huge array of opportunities and places to get out there in the backcountry and with only a short driving distance.

Most recently I have become intreagued by the Cumberland Plateau's gorges and ridges with the relatively new Cumberland trail. The trail is just too conveniently close to my house I can't resist getting on it at least once a week. I grew up making plenty of hikes in the Cherokee NF with the family. In the past few years, I have been exploring the lush Cohutta Wilderness in Georgia's Chattahoochee NF, the largest East of the Mississippi. Being here all my life, the vistas and terrain never cease to amaze me.. hence, why I will most likely end up settling in the southeast when all said and done.

However... I will say that the moment I graduate I plan to set my crosshairs on the WEST for a few years. My first time out there was this past Spring, visiting my Brother in Denver who recently moved to Capitol Hill. And needless to say, that trip just fueled the fire to head West.

"It should not be denied... that being footloose has always exhilarated us. It is associated in our minds with escape from history and oppression and law and irksome obligations, with absolute freedom, and the road has always led West." -Wallace Stegner

12:38 p.m. on July 2, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Hey Rennegade,

Which sections of the Cumberland Trail have you done?

Is the trail completed yet or is it still a dotted line?

1:48 a.m. on July 5, 2010 (EDT)
16 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

Well I've done pretty much every section in the Chattanooga vicinity from Prentice Cooper SP near Signal Mtn up through Dayton, TN and the Laurel-Snow Pocket Wilderness. Gotta say my favorite would be any of the "three gorges sections" ..awesome hikes.

As for the ultimate completion of the trail, several enormous strides have been taken. Land Aquisition has always been a major factor in making connectins, and several moves have been made this past year. Even with the rough economy,several gracious grants have been made to the Cumberland trail Conference to meet ends. Recently, just earlier this year, Governor Bredesen announced a grant of 68,000$ and added almost 4,000 acres of land partnership in helping to connect a crucial section of the trail on Graysville Mountain.

You should make your way back to the TN valley sometime soon and check out all the improvements!

4:37 p.m. on July 8, 2010 (EDT)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

I currently live in Farragut [suburb of Knoxville], TN and go hiking in the northern Smokies quite regulary, but after seeing some of the views the Gonzan posted, looks like I will be heading a bit further south in the future!

DJ

5:21 p.m. on July 8, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Thanks for your reply renegade887,

I was in the area this past winter and did part of the Stevenson Trail in the North Chickamauga Creek Gorge section located near Soddy Daisy.

I try to do the trail every two years or so just because it holds fond memories, and it is where I first started backpacking.

I would love to come back this winter and do a few trails.

August 22, 2014
Quick Reply