TN Wilderness Act of 2010

12:54 p.m. on July 2, 2010 (EDT)
16 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

Senetors Alexander and Corker of TN introduced the Act back on July 9th. It is the first addition to Tennessee's Wildernesses in over 25 years. It expands 5 Wildernesses and creates a new one, The Upper Bald River Wilderness. Nearly 20,000 acres added to the already amazing Cherokee NF and our Wildernesses! Thank you Senators and keep up the much appreciated work.

more information:

http://tnwild.org/blog/senator_alexander_and_senator_corker_introduce_tennessee_wilderness_act_2010

5:10 p.m. on July 2, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Wow, that would be awesome.

5:30 p.m. on July 2, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,481 forum posts

Just my opinion, but I would much rather go to Cherokee or Pisgah than the GSMNP. Not to mention both areas have some nice secluded trout waters if your willing to do a little blue lining.

11:18 p.m. on July 2, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I am glad that the GSMNP is there...to syphon away all of the crowds from Cherokee and Nantahala!

11:23 p.m. on July 2, 2010 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,194 forum posts

The last trip report I posted here(9 Days With An Old Dog)was in the new Upper Bald wilderness area. What's funny is when I'm out I take a little radio and listen to the Knoxville weather. Pretty much every day this summer they've had a wonderful thing on the radio: "OZONE ALERT--CODE ORANGE AIR QUALITY DAYS. Do Not Engage In Strenuous Outdoor Activity." Ha ha ha. We have a bunch more wilderness but we can't go out to use it.

4:46 p.m. on July 8, 2010 (EDT)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

I have read/heard many a people talk about how crowded GSMNP is, but I have yet to really run into any major crowds. Typically we only see about one or two hikers on the trails we hit. The only real exception was when we went to Abrams Falls, which we expected to see a lot of people. Heck, we even hiked on some of the trails that start off in Cades Cove and rarely see people on the trail once we get about a mile out from the loop. I guess maybe we have just been lucky! But it sounds like we really need to try Cherokee or Pisgah some time!

DJ

September 23, 2014
Quick Reply