Maps-Ordering and or printing at home

9:04 p.m. on July 11, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,296 forum posts

So I have been using some older maps that I had printed while I was still in the Navy, and well its time for them to be replaced. Or maps from local guide books etc. I need better maps for off trail use.

I know you can download the usgs quads from the usgs site among other places like Nat geo etc. So my question is this. Printing them at home on a 8x10 is pretty useless. What is the best way to print USGS maps at home? Should I have them printed at a kinkos or similar, and what size paper should I have them printed on.

Also, where is the best place to order maps from, usgs, maptech, etc? I much prefer to have a map printed on the 18x24 or the 24x36 paper. Not sure if a kinkos can do this or not. How much does it cost to have a map printed at a kinkos etc. I know you can order a non waterproof map for 9$ish and a waterproof one for 11-15 on average.

Any input is welcome.

9:48 p.m. on July 11, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,070 forum posts

I had a map of Jackson Hole that I had produced at mapcard then saved to a disc, printed at Staple's for $19.95 for poster size 2x3 feet.

But I prefer my topos to be 8x10 and not that useless, I use mapcard to find & square up the area I want and then save to my PC to print later somewhere with a color printer on 8x10. I like 8x10 cause I can just have the section I am hiking in instead of a huge 7.5 or 15 minute map with 75% of the map not being where I am hiking. Plus at mapcard I can load maps in scales from 1/6000 to 1/200,000, color aerial photos and state maps at 1/100,000,000 scale which shows rivers lakes cities and towns. The map below is 1/25,000 scale

You can contact the USGS and get their topo map catalogs for each state for free, then find the maps you want or in this computer day/age you can order them online of course.

This a a map of Jenny Lake in Grand Teton Nat'l Park I made showing just the area I wanted from Mapcard.com and then saved to my laptop. Later I can go to the library and print it out for 15 cents at 8x10 in B/W or $2.00 in color.

This the same scale as aboves topo except as an aerial view from Mapcard.

The USGS locator site is free and works okay but for me it doesn't do half what I can do at Mapcard.com for $19.95 a year.

1:38 a.m. on July 12, 2010 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
184 forum posts

I have a wide format printer, which will print 18 inch wide prints, at any length. However, the paper is expensive. I need topo maps too but would like to what the cheapest place is to just but them.

July 23, 2014
Quick Reply