Have you all seen this yet? (grizzly bear kills Grand Rapids man near Yellowstone)

11:29 a.m. on July 30, 2010 (EDT)
25 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

Saw a blub in the morning paper today, I found an article on it and posted the link to it, seems like the bears are on a quest this year we have had 3 attacks in Shenandoah area (i.e.) AT trail and popular camping spots on the mountains. I don’t know if it is the excessive heat of this summer frying the brain pan, or if the heat is killing off their food supply of foliage and berry forage. I do think we all need to be more cautious while we are in the backcountry and remember your bear spray. Be safe out there R_Ranger

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/07/wildlife_investigators_seek_an.html

11:51 a.m. on July 30, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

That is sad. My condolences to the families, and sympathy to the others injured. For whatever reason, this bear definitely seems to have become habituated and intentionally predating on people.

6:35 p.m. on July 30, 2010 (EDT)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

Bears have to eat too. Forgetting that bears are a real threat to humans when they are hungry is a mistake you should not make. Take these words to heart from a real bear attack victim.

"Get the big bear spray, you don't want the little one"

Condolences to the family of the person killed in the attack.

9:13 p.m. on July 30, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,445 reviewer rep
5,389 forum posts

Yes, I already linked the story a couple days ago in this thread

9:19 p.m. on July 31, 2010 (EDT)
17 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

How bout a really big handgun.

9:55 p.m. on July 31, 2010 (EDT)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

I have read that you have a much better chance with a cloud of bear spray than with a hand gun. The bear spray will take away its ability to see and smell. Bears don't like that. You shoot them and they can get mad as a bear.

12:11 a.m. on August 1, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
52 forum posts

I'm a firm believer in carrying a firearm while hiking, so I can defend against most things that may see me as prey. But, it this case, after reading what happened, there simply appeared to be no defense available.

10:02 a.m. on August 1, 2010 (EDT)
120 reviewer rep
137 forum posts

Ya, let's not revisit the handgun issue...

Adding insult to injury, the local online paper here (I live in Grand Rapids) does nothing to educate people about how to properly store food. In fact, it tells people that those who visit Grizzly country need to keep there food "tightly sealed". To someone who may not be familiar with Grizzlies, this could very easily be taken to mean that a ziploc bag will suffice.

12:24 p.m. on August 1, 2010 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

.Ghost is absolutely right about the guns. There is currently a moratorium on the topic of guns here on trailspace.com. Please, let's move on, or this, like so many other bear threads will be locked.

http://www.trailspace.coml/forums/backcountry/topics/63076.html

From the Editor in Chief:

As I've posted at the bottom of the other locked threads, now that everyone has had more than ample time to discuss this topic, I'm declaring an indefinite moratorium on any forum posts or threads concerning carrying a gun or other weapon...
...Now, let's move on to talk about other backcountry topics.

12:53 p.m. on August 1, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
52 forum posts

Wow! Sorry, I was unaware. I'm new.

2:21 p.m. on August 1, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
415 forum posts

Migolito: I was going to mention this to you but got distracted -- I saw you were a new guy and figured you didn't know about the gun discussion issue.

This comes up every time a human-grizz interaction story gets mentioned; discussion always turns to self-defense and then it's the usual pros and cons. It had been discussed in exhaustive detail here and had derailed so many threads that we felt enough was enough.

Those of us who moderate the discussions here admittedly have a hair trigger, pun intended, on the issue but it's nothing personal one way or the other.

4:42 p.m. on August 1, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
52 forum posts

No prob. Didn't mean to shoot myself in the foot...:)

9:35 a.m. on August 2, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

No prob. Didn't mean to shoot myself in the foot...:)

HAHA!

The topic just seems to lead to people firing firing off, and nobody wants to be in the crosshairs of somone's loaded comments...

;)

December 18, 2014
Quick Reply