Campsuds and "Leave No Trace"

7:45 p.m. on August 10, 2010 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
31 forum posts

I got in a discussion about Campsuds, and I was told that the product is non Leave No Trace compliant.

He was saying that you should not use any soap in the back-country.

We were on a 7 day backpack.

"Campsuds soap from is effective with hot, cold or even salt water and there's no need for environmental guilt since it's totally biodegradable." It is made from vegetable-based biodegradable anionic and non-ionic cleaning agents.

What are your opinions?

7:56 p.m. on August 10, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,311 forum posts

I don't know who told you that CampSuds is not LNT compliant, nor the reason. But this is a question you should address directly to LNT.

From the LNT website:

Soaps and lotions: Soap, even when it’s biodegradable, can affect the water quality of lakes and streams, so minimize its use. Always wash yourself well away from shorelines (200 feet), and rinse with water carried in a pot or jug. This allows the soil to act as a filter. Where fresh water is scarce, think twice before swimming in creeks or potholes. Lotion, sunscreen, insect repellent and body oils can contaminate these vital water sources. Unscented soaps and lotions are strongly recommended when traveling and camping in bear country. Consider rinsing yourself off 200 ft from water sources before entering any water source to remove bug repellent, lotion, sunscreen, etc.

October 21, 2014
Quick Reply