This proves almost anyone can hike.

2:55 p.m. on August 11, 2010 (EDT)
363 reviewer rep
131 forum posts
3:26 p.m. on August 11, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,445 reviewer rep
5,392 forum posts

Great story! I should point out that they are not the first amputees to climb Kili on prosthetics. A friend, Warren MacDonald, did it several years ago, and it has been done in wheelchair by several people (one, I believe, with no help being carried over the steeper spots by carefully choosing the trail).

Bugs me, though, when these blind skiers and skiers with one or both legs missing outski me, and on double diamond runs at that. Plus the blind and the climbers with one or both legs missing who outclimb me. I'm supposedly hale and hearty, with all parts there and in great shape. Why can't I keep up with the "challenged"? Guess it shows what a bit of determination will do for you. My problems are tiny by comparison.

3:57 p.m. on August 11, 2010 (EDT)
363 reviewer rep
131 forum posts

Yea Bill makes me stop to think about all those times I whined about how difficult the trail was or how long it was and so on....

Humbling...

4:13 p.m. on August 11, 2010 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
605 forum posts

There was a man a number of years ago, I believe from a European country, who became the first man to climb Everest with no legs. He had 2 prosthetic fittings that could be with or without crampons.

If that doesn't make you question your accomplishments, I don't know what will....

7:53 p.m. on August 11, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,348 forum posts

I knew a guy in Yosemite in 1980 who a few years before lost the use of his legs, but he still could climb El Capitan and Half Dome, but he had to follow someone else pulling himself up with his arms. He later designed a wheelchair that used his arms with a bicycle pedaling system instead od pushing the wheels as most chairs do.

9:43 p.m. on August 11, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

I hike with no brain.......... (true) I just wag my tail a bunch and am happy.

I appreciate the stories and what these folks do................. Amazing!

12:29 a.m. on August 12, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
573 reviewer rep
286 forum posts

I remember that guy from Yosemite (or maybe it was a second guy). He lost his legs trying to climb Mt. Washington in the winter. He has special "feet" made to attach to his prosthetics that fit the size of the crack he was climbing.

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply