I really want to get out and do some backcountry camping.

3:21 p.m. on August 14, 2010 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

But, i just moved here to colorado, and dont really know anybody to go with. So i want to do it by myself. Ive talked to a few people, and they all say the same thing, do it with someone, it could be dangerous if something happened. I do realize this, and now have been thinking about it. Im just really anxious to get out and do it. Whats your opinions?

4:02 p.m. on August 14, 2010 (EDT)
6 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

Hi MoMo,

Solo is fine if you play it as safe as possible, you can get hit by a car crossing the street so what is really safe? Start small like at National Parks that have well groomed trails and people coming and going. Always tell a friend or family where you are going. Tell them that you will contact them at a certain time once you have arrived home. If they do not hear from you then they can contact the proper authorities if necessary. Make sure you stick to the plan and don't change anything unless you notify them. Here in Canada we have many different types of online meetup clubs for most activities. Have a look around and see if there is one in your area so you can meet folks that like to do what you do. Then maybe you can go to more remote places with company and feel more comfortable. It may also be useful to take some courses like wilderness survival and first aid. These will help you feel more comfortable if you decide to go it alone. Just some thoughts.

4:21 p.m. on August 14, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

You should have joined us on a hike up 285 today. Also have a late season group camp out planned for the weekend after labor day on Kenosha pass. You are welcome to join and hike miles of the CO trail.

Heading for the foothills south of denver tonight and will camp alone. Not a big deal. I can be there in one hour and have camp set up. Can be back in denver early AM like I'll need to be tomorrow to drive the church bus. (Just Kidding) That is if the cougars or black bears do not get me........... (I just met a cougar who I would not mind sharing a tent with)..............

I should add that we as a group are eligible to receive AARP benefits. If you get that.

If you are new to CO I would suggest Meetup.com to find some new and like minded friends.

6:31 p.m. on August 14, 2010 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

Search online for hiking clubs in your area. There has to be a ton of them in CO. And, as noodlehead suggests, try Meetup.com. You can also try backpacker.com. They have a section in their forum for people looking for others to hike with, as well as groups that plan hikes throughout the year in each section of the country.

8:20 p.m. on August 14, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,256 forum posts

One of the best ways to meet potential hiking partners in CO is start hiking the easier 14ers and talk to people on the trails. Most of the 14ers (I recommend Lou Dawson's books) are pretty popular, straight-forward hikes in good weather, so it is easy to meet up with people and chat with them on the trail and at the summits (start early in the morning to avoid the typical late afternoon thunderstorms in summer, and wait on the winter hikes until you have experienced partners). This summer has been a bit of an anomaly with the thunderstorms this past couple of months, but still plenty of days when you could do something like Elbert early in the day and be off before the storms built up.

Solo really is no problem for most of the hikes, since the trails are so popular.

If you are in Boulder (or make the trip there), stop by Gary Neptune's shop close to the CU campus - excellent selection of guidebooks to the hikes and climbs - plus the walls are hung with historic gear, much from famous climbers and famous expeditions, worth the drive from anywhere in the state just for that.

5:10 p.m. on August 15, 2010 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

Right on, Ill have to check those out. Im thinking of going to RMNP and do some hikes next week. I need to start getting adapted to the higher altitude.

2:37 a.m. on August 16, 2010 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

There are online sites like www.meetup.com where people can look for people with the same interests. However, no matter how you meet people, spend some time figuring out if they actually know what they are doing.

A couple of winters ago in the PNW, a meetup for beginner snow campers turned into a massive rescue effort involving about 200 searchers, helos and snow cats in a raging blizzard. The group was found, but they were just damn lucky none of them were killed or seriously injured.

I'm not trying to deter you from meeting people, but use some common sense.

7:54 p.m. on August 22, 2010 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
471 forum posts

http://www.backpacker.com/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi?act=SF;f=623107219

Can check in here too. Colorado Mountain Club is active out of Denver. They have beginner to advanced trips as wall as skiing in winter.

Bolder CU has an excellent outdoor and mountain club.

Day hikes in popular areas will pick up a lot of contacts if you are outgoing and willing to chat on the trail to strangers.

Sierra Club has outings all the times.

July 30, 2014
Quick Reply