National Guard Rescue Locally

8:38 a.m. on August 15, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

I've hiked Elk Mountain a number of times. It's more of what I like to call boulder hopping than mountain climbing since it's not much of a mountain.

But one misstep and it's no fun. Most people don't bounce well off granite.

http://blog.newsok.com/outthere/2010/07/22/oklahoma-national-guard-gives-more-details-on-elk-mountain-rescue/

I tend to prefer other areas that are a little more off the beaten path because this one draws more people. Probably the most popular trail or hike in the refuge.

5:08 p.m. on August 16, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,495 forum posts

Very interesting story, makes you think doesn't it?

8:37 a.m. on August 17, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

The area is covered with old eroded granite. Many boulders can be the size of two story houses and there are deep fissures between them. Falling into one that's tight can have serious consequences.

Couple of my favorite places are underneath piles of large boulders that give the illusion of being caves, but you are really just underneath monster rocks.

9:03 a.m. on August 17, 2010 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Great story, ended well. Sounds like all the right resources and training were in place at the right time. Now I have to ask, who, if anyone, will get the bill? If this was a civilian rescue organization, that would be the first thing people would want to know. IMO we need our govt resources to be in place and available for US in times of crisis, individual or otherwise.

We asked for a NG helo to assist in a strip mine rescue here in NEPA about 12-14 years ago, and were denied - flat. The result was a 6 hour carry-out. Not the best thing for a patient's well being.

10:08 a.m. on August 17, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

I have no idea who payed for the rescue. It's tough sometimes to know where to draw the line on something like that. At least for my simple mind. :-) The National Guard has been part of a few rescues that people would have died if they hadn't made the effort.

A friend took this photo of one of the caves that is not a cave. It's actually an open area underneath 4 massive boulders that have rolled together.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/benttail/4569385897/in/photostream/#/photos/benttail/4569385897/in/photostream/lightbox/

12:52 a.m. on August 19, 2010 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
101 forum posts

I've been to the Wichita Wildlife Refuge many times as a Boy Scout in the '70s living in OKC. It was a great place to roam and explore but there were many places you could be stupid and get yourself hurt. Hope he will be OK. The National Guard has always been a great help in times of trouble.

October 23, 2014
Quick Reply