About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Exploring with Peter Jenkins

11:57 a.m. on August 30, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,925 forum posts

http://www.peterjenkins.com/

No the news cast guy, the man who wrote such inspiring books as "Walk Across America" and "Walk West" back in the 70s.

His first book about his walk down the AT inspired me to leave home at age 21 and hitchhike 8000 miles around the USA in 1977. And starting me on my current 34 year journey to enlightenment.

3:11 p.m. on August 30, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,925 forum posts

Peter Jenkins in the 1970s on his Walk Across America with his dog

Mr Jenkins recently, currently he is driving a old Chevy car across Idaho.

I wrote to him this morning and he wrote me back, find him at Facebook under Search with Peterjenkinswalks.

10:06 p.m. on August 30, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,018 reviewer rep
1,208 forum posts

Ah ha! I'm not the only one still using an external frame pack!

Oh, wait, that photo was from the 1970's :)...

1:18 a.m. on August 31, 2010 (EDT)
16 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

GP-

Mr. Jenkins' books inspired the HELL out of me!

One Winter few years back I was rummaging through an enormous Flea Market near Murphy, North Carolina and came across an original, seemingly dated and dusty hardcover book. The cover caught my eye, I skimmed through it, then went about my business, headed back to my car. The book though, stayed on my mind for some reason, and I ended up walking back across the entire flea market, gave the old fella 5 bucks for it and left. The book turned out to be Peter Jenkins' first writing "A Walk Across America." I was attending college in Oxford, Mississippi at the time, going through a difficult phase of change and what not. I read the book that Winter and it ended up altering my way of thinking and motivated me like no other writing. Reading the book even rejuvenated my adventurous spirit and contributed to me getting back into backpacking and wilderness exploration where i'm at today. His writing continues to enlighten and will motivate several adventures down the road for me I'm sure.

well... as you can see starting to ramble and obviously no doubt think highly of Mr. jenkins' adventure writings. Just saw the post and HAD to share my encounter. As simple as his prose seems, the stories are direct and genuine. Ill reccommend anyone who loves adventurous inspirational books to pick up some of his and dive into them.

1:31 a.m. on August 31, 2010 (EDT)
16 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

9:07 a.m. on August 31, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

I too was quite inspired and impacted by "Walk Across America."

Renegade, I know some great people down in Oxford; where did you go to school there?

3:42 p.m. on August 31, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,925 forum posts

Peter Jenkins along the AT with his dog...

11:19 p.m. on August 31, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
42 forum posts

I have also read Walk Across America, Walk West and just finished one where he travelled across China including the lower camps at Mt. Everest that I can't think of the title on right now. I also read one that covers the spiritual aspects of he and Barbara's walk west. They are very good books.

11:29 p.m. on August 31, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
42 forum posts

Oh, and thanks for website link Gary. A friend of mine got me started reading the books but I don't think he knows about the website so I am pleased I can pass that on to him! We were just wondering about Peter and Barbara a couple of weeks ago after I finished Walk Across China and I found the answer on the website.

11:40 p.m. on August 31, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,925 forum posts

Scout Mom

Also go to Facebook and using search type in Peterjenkinswalks. It will bring up his current travel page, he is somewhere in Idaho right now, traveling in a 57 Chevy stationwagon.

2:36 p.m. on September 2, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
42 forum posts

Thanks again. I will check it out!

9:10 p.m. on September 2, 2010 (EDT)
16 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

Gonz-

Oxford town for me is like that one love that just got away somehow, haha. Love the place. So much so that I forgot exactly what I was there for... classes.

Went to Ole Miss for a couple years and did too much of what they do best, liesure studies. But it's truly an awesome town. enormous Arts/music/literature culture scene.. ton of character. not to mention one of the best SEC institutions ever...

9:15 p.m. on September 2, 2010 (EDT)
16 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

Scout Mom- I am also currently reading one of the the lesser-hyped works of Mr. Jenkins and his spiritual journey, "The Unseen Road." Didnt even hear much of it until stumbling across it at a used book store. great read.

10:43 p.m. on November 8, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Gary,

My wife and I are heading to the Grand Canyon Wednesday. The forecast looks pretty good. The weather service says lows in the 20 degree mark on the South Rim with highs in the 40 degree mark. Phantom Ranch says 60 degree Highs with Low 40 Degree at night is this normal? All our research on the Canyon says its warmer in the Canyon than on the rim.

We are going down the Sout Kaibob Trail to Phantom Ranch on the 15th and coming out on the 17th we are pretty set on gear light weight and sturdy. The only thing that i can not decide is what type of clothing to take. I have silk baselayers, Micro-Fleece tops, North Face hiking pants that are water resistant, and a light weight Rain Jacket that i can wear over the fleece wool cap and good insulated gloves and smartwool socks. Do you think that enough clothing? Please advise on this would be great. :)

10:36 p.m. on November 9, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
42 forum posts

I believe the "Unseen Road" may be the one I read as well.  I have enjoyed all of them.  I was kind of amazed though at how ill-equipped (for lack of better term) he was much of the time.  Such as leaving Colorado in "The Walk West" in a couple feet of snow with only a jean jacket or something like that.

It just seemed that he didn't always plan well for as far has he had walked to that point.  I guess he did okay though as he has logged MANY more miles on foot than I ever will! 

9:51 a.m. on November 12, 2010 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
3,925 forum posts

Mark,

Sorry I did not see your post earlier! Next time post it under trip planning as a question. I was looking at Scout Moms post yesterday and saw yours. By now I guess you are at the Grand Canyon? It should still be fairly warm in the canyon days, nights may be a lil nippy.

Yes the bottom is warmer than the rim. I like the winter months myself. Cold rim and warm enough for shorts and a tshirt at the bottom.  The north side of the canyon above BA Camp and Phantom Ranch is much warmer as its where the sun still hits for longer periods of the day than below the south rim and the Tonto Trail. Clear Creek camp to Chevaya Falls is nice, s is Cottonwood Camp and Ribbon Falls area.

I did my first R2R2R (Rim to Rim to Rim) in December and itt was very nice during the day and the nights were also warmer north of Phantom Ranch. Course the north rim had lots of snow by then. The north rim closes to cars after the first snow or the 1st of November which ever comes first.

Please post a trip report after your hike, I would like to hear about it and maybe see pictures.

April 18, 2014
Quick Reply