Body of missing climber lost 21 year ago found in Jasper National Park

11:16 a.m. on August 31, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,156 forum posts

From the BBC:

Canada hikers find dead body of climber lost since 1989

The corpse of an American mountaineer who fell to his death in the Canadian Rockies more than two decades ago has been found.

Hikers in Jasper National Park, Alberta found the body of William Holland, 38, last month. He tumbled down a mountain in 1989 when a snow outcrop collapsed. The climber's body had been preserved by glacial ice, said Garth Lemke, public safety expert with Parks Canada. "He was basically in a deep freeze for the last 21 years," Mr Lemke said.

Read full article >>

8:41 p.m. on August 31, 2010 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

There are actually dozens of missing, presumed dead hikers and climbers in western Albertan and BC's parks and wilderness. We just had another, young, fit and confident hiker take off with minimal preparation on a trail through "The North Shore Mountains" here at Vancouver, BC this month. He was warned, but, like so many urbanites, he "knew" best; the Mounted Police and CanForce SAR just called off a fortnight search yesterday.

This, is in the most populated region of BC with the mildest climate we have here and yet, the wilderness of untouched mountain terrain, starting a 20 minute drive from where I am sitting and which I can see, extends for perhaps 75 miles of rugged mountains, snowfields, glaciers and torrents of rivers and creeks. Every year, a few "experts" ignore the safety warnings and decide to show us all what they can do...and, they come out in a bag under a 212 or often are not found for many years, if at all.

I hike there for training and in far more remote and wild regions alone and I NEVER leave my transportation or base camp without a carefully selected emergency camp in a pack. I sometimes am laughed at on the lower sections of these trails by thinly clad, sandaled and young "hikers", much the same kind as often do not come home.......but, I am still here.

This situation is leading to a ban on Canadian backcountry access for foreign hikers/climbers unless they are guided by an accredited mountain guide and, IMO, this is probably a sound idea. We have had a number lost in BC in recent years from countries where they can become expert climbers, but, that is not the same as learning how to survive in wilderness alone and many here are tired of paying the high costs of rescue for people who should know better than going alone into a situation far beyond their actual capabilities.

Well, at least this poor guy's family will be able to have him "home" at last........

September 23, 2014
Quick Reply