Worlds scariest hikes

9:33 p.m. on September 25, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,075 forum posts

http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/worlds-scariest-hikes/1

I am surprised Zions Angels Landing isn't one of them. The Chinese one looked the worse to me!

10:22 p.m. on September 25, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Thats a cool article.

I guess lots of trails have scary portions, and I don't ever seem to understand the selection process for these lists people make up.

Fun to read though.

11:39 p.m. on September 25, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,075 forum posts

Click the arrows and watch some of the videos. One of them is a trail with boards supported on cliffs going to a Chinese Monastary, some have slide shows, there on of the cable hike to the top of Half Dome.

3:21 p.m. on September 27, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,325 reviewer rep
1,206 forum posts

My vote would be for the Mogadishu mile survival trail. Hikers traverse the streets of war-torn Somalia with over a thousand dolars of hiking gear on their backs with no more than a set of treking poles to fend off hazards.

9:25 p.m. on September 27, 2010 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
301 forum posts

Whew! The videos and slideshows were close enough for me on a couple of those. No need to add those babies to the bucket list... I'm just fine with them on that list. :)

And, since when did bears elevate the "scary" factor of a trail? Seems a little sensationalist in my mind.

6:32 p.m. on October 25, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,283 forum posts

thanks for the article.  too much for me. 

madison gulf trail and huntington's ravine, both in the white mountains, are the trails i'm most familiar with that make me nervous about falling.  i'm no shrinking violet, but particularly with a good-sized backpack in the rain, they are bad enough to instill some real fear. 

10:14 p.m. on October 25, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,225 reviewer rep
1,259 forum posts

Hmm, interesting.  I'm no fan of exposed heights, but the Madison Gulf trail used to be one of my favorite trails, along with the Great Gulf trail and others.  I do recall Huntington Ravine being a little more "out there" though :).

Neither would prepare me for the summit trail to Clouds Rest (Yosemite) this summer.  And I won't admit in a public forum the outcome of that part of my hike :).

12:27 p.m. on October 26, 2010 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,280 forum posts

Most dangerous trail.  Any route that leads to our front door when wifey is having a bad day - no way am I allow out when she is in those moods!

Ed

1:46 a.m. on October 30, 2010 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

My vote would be for the Mogadishu mile survival trail. Hikers traverse the streets of war-torn Somalia with over a thousand dolars of hiking gear on their backs with no more than a set of treking poles to fend off hazards.

Sweet.  Gotta try this one...

July 28, 2014
Quick Reply