About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Blind Hikers travel the Grand Canyon Rim to Rim

10:27 a.m. on October 15, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,929 forum posts

A news article from the AZCentral.com:

GRAND CANYON - Just before dawn, 13 blind hikers begin a descent into the abyss, unable to see the trail at their feet or the gaping chasm they are about to enter.

The plan seems audacious, if not crazy: A group of adults and kids from the Foundation for Blind Children sets out to complete the Grand Canyon's 24.3-mile trek from rim to rim in a single day on a rock-scrabbled route where hikers are one false step from a fatal plunge.

Read more: With video: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/10/15/20101015grand-canyon-hike-by-blind-hikers.html#ixzz12RBfZ1rb

3:50 p.m. on October 15, 2010 (EDT)
27 reviewer rep
200 forum posts

I think too often people set out to do things just to prove that they can without stopping to think about whether or not they should. Now, I don't know the real risks involved in hiking this trail without the gift of sight, but I can't help but suspect that it's greater without than with. Probably a lot greater.

April 20, 2014
Quick Reply