Hiker killed by a Mt. goat!

2:33 p.m. on October 18, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,597 reviewer rep
1,245 forum posts

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/428578_hiker17.html

Thats the first time I have heard of that hapening. Sounds like he was a very decent fellow. My condolences for his family and friends. I have seen a few really habituated goats in this state. It doesn't surprise that one went after someone but killing one is a real shocker.

Odd of that happening are worse than winning the lottery. I don't think I would

4:18 p.m. on October 18, 2010 (EDT)
27 reviewer rep
82 forum posts

Wow, we were supposed to be hiking that area this weekend, too. That is, until we found a backpackers' dream sale. Poor guy though. It is a reminder of the many dangers we face while in the wild.

12:57 p.m. on October 19, 2010 (EDT)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

I think you have a better chance of getting killed by a ram than winning the lotto. The only reason the lotto exists is because people didn't learn math.

I have to echo donkeypunch85 here, bears, snakes, quicksand, there are many ways to meet your end hiking. Goats are low on the list.

4:55 p.m. on October 19, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,339 reviewer rep
259 forum posts

We as human users of the backcountry get habituated to "being out there"-- we do relax our memory of how it IS the animals' milleau.

It is also rutting season. The goat was known to be aggressive. It appears that his accident was an unfortunate clash of two mindsets. He did try to "shoo" the animal away. I suppose that would likened to a stranger asking us to leave our front yards.

I do not put the blame on the man. Not at all...I do think it is a good, but grim, reminder that WE are the visitors...

9:42 p.m. on October 19, 2010 (EDT)
299 reviewer rep
141 forum posts

Very sad, did anyone read the comments?  They say the goats are not native to this area.  I respect all the animals, but I do have a problem when they're put in areas they don't belong.  If this is true, they should be removed.  I always give animals there space, and will turn around before I cross there path. 

2:43 a.m. on October 21, 2010 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

It is well known among experienced mountain people here in BC, where "Oreamnos Americanus" is most populous, that these beautiful and fascinating animals ARE dangerous and should NEVER be approached closely. In fact, a cow Moose with a newly dropped calf was always considered more dangerous than a Grizzly by the oldtimers I worked with as a boy many years ago and Goats were treated with great caution.

People would be well advised to keep a good distance from ALL wild animals and to remember that they do not see you as a "friend" who just wants to take a nice photo, but, as an apex predator and an "enemy".

I have encountered RMGs on several occasions when walking in the mountains to get away from the daily hassle of work and I would NEVER get close to one. They will not "attack" as a bear will, but, one good jab of those horns and you will likely exsanguinate long before help arrives..............

October 20, 2014
Quick Reply