Getting Out

3:25 p.m. on October 29, 2010 (EDT)
36 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

I`m just curiouswhere everybody has gone hiking this year and how was it. Please tell us all ab ouit it.

12:54 a.m. on October 30, 2010 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Couldn't anything for most of last year; recovering from a foot injury sustained in fall 2009.  Was going to Joshua Tree last weekend, but my companion cancelled due to being under the weather.  Will go next weekend.  Should be nice, now that some rain has visited the area.

Ed

4:52 a.m. on October 30, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,349 forum posts

I have lived in Flagstaff AZ all year and have hiked all over the area. Walnut Canyon, Sedona, Oak Creek and West Oak Creek, Clear Creek, the San Francisco Peaks, SP Crater, Buffalo Park, A-1 Mountain and Mt Elden.  I get out either on my mtn bike or on foot just off into the wilds at least 2-4 days a week.

See some of my hikes in the Trip Reports area. I try to get out every weekend I am not working and often during the midweek when I am off. I work parttime so I get lots of time to bike ride and hike/camp.

10:54 p.m. on November 5, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,347 reviewer rep
1,320 forum posts

Brad - none of us went anywhere this year.   We didn't have time!  We've been too busy reading gear reviews on Trailspace.com so we can buy new stuff for the next time we go out! 

:)

12:44 p.m. on November 6, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Just joined the site and thought I'd chime in on this thread for my first post. 

I haven't been able to do any overnighters this year due to a crazy work schedule and family responsibilities.  However, I have been able to do a few dayhikes and am also planning on some snowshoeing this winter.  Fall is about the only time I have any chance of doing some overnight hikes, but this year it didnt' work out.

1:30 p.m. on November 6, 2010 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

Alabama's Pinhoti Trail (35 miles or so) in Feb. Got rained and snowed on, ice was everywhere, it was extremely cold and a great trip.

Alabama's Chinnabee-Silent/Pinhoti/Skyway loop. Rained the entire trip (pretty rough thunderstorms).

Arkansas's Buffalo River Old River trail. It was excellent. Great historic cabins, singing coyotes, and a beautiful view from the Goat Trail.

A few trips to different trails in MS and LA.

My hiking season is just beginning again. We dont backpack in the summer too much, it is too hot (and summer is our longest season). I will be heading somewhere this weekend (MS or LA) then Sipsey wilderness in AL for Thanksgiving weekend.

4:13 p.m. on November 6, 2010 (EDT)
16 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

well here we go..

Any wilderness spots dispersed around my hometown Chattanooga, TN:

inumerable day hike jaunts and trail runs through the Cumberland Plateau's gorges on sections of the Cumberland trail, from Prentice Cooper State Park to Laurel-Snow Pocket Wilderness. Several Spring and Summer overnighters to the Cohutta Wilderness to camp alongside the Conasauga River. A couple hikes through the Nantahala NF in North Carolina including the remote Fires Creek Wild-Mgt Area. a few good hikes in the Cherokee NF back in Tennessee, some around the Southern Section by the Ocoee River, others in the Northern Section near the Citico Creek and Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock Wildernesses. And an awesome early Spring trip with the family out West to Colorado visiting Rocky Mountain NP.  

In August I was fortunate enough to get a break from chem-engineering classes to crank out a 200-miler Section of the AT from the Southern Nantahala heading north through the Smokies and to Hot Springs, NC.

5:07 p.m. on November 7, 2010 (EST)
8 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

This was hands down my best year of hiking since I got into it a couple years ago. I worked for the Nevada Conservation Corps, in which we had a work schedule of 8 days on and 6 days off.

My six days off I went to many parks and hiking spots including: Big Sur, Great Basin National Park, Black Rock Desert, and others. I tackled lots of hikes and backpacking trips, and made some good friends along the way.

My work days still consisted of hiking with even heavier packs. Many of which involved carrying a Stihl chain saw for a mile or so.

Of all the places I have been, I think Black Rock took my breath away more than anything. Although there were no spectacular peaks around, and I experienced the playa alone and with mobs of people around, it was the solemn and unforgiving singularity I felt there that made me fall in love with the place. I also loved the hot springs.

3:19 a.m. on November 9, 2010 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
101 forum posts

I live about five miles (by road) from the east entrance to the Colorado National Monument so I day hike there at least once a week. It is a fascinating place to explore.

I'm a Scoutmaster for a new Troop. In June we went to summer camp in California and I managed to sneak away on a day hike to Relief Reservoir near Sonora Pass with the high adventure group. That was a great day exploring unfamiliar surroundings.

July was busy. My wife and I spent five days backpacking in the Flat Tops Wilderness. I took the Troop on a ten mile day hike on Pinon Mesa which is wedged between Grand Junction and the Uncompahgre Plateau. In late July, I guided a small group of Scouts and Dads on their first backpack trip. It was three days on the Flat Tops. We had a great time and they are now hooked on wilderness travel.

At the end of September, I did a seven day solo trip in the Flat Tops to enjoy the changing fall season. The weather was perfect and encountered only one person the whole time.

The Troop did a ten miler in Arches National Park on a campout in October. Even though we got rained on, everyone had fun exploring the arches.

With snow now hitting the high country, it's time to pull out the snow shoes and plan some more adventures.

2:32 p.m. on November 10, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
118 forum posts

This year I got in a lot of good day hikes:

John Muir Trail (the one on TN) 3 or 4 X
Star Mountain Trail by G Creek 2 X
Rock Creek Trail 1 X (this trail needs some major work)
Part of the BMT (by the Ocoee Dam # 3 I think) 1 X
Lost Creek Trail (might be my new favorite trail) sadly only 1 X
Laurel Snow Trail 2 X
Rattlesnake Hollow Trail at least 2 X
Don't remember trail name but it was up on the Cherohala Skyway 1 X

I might have done more but off the top of my head that's all the day trip's I can remember right now.

My only long trip was just last month when I started section hiking the A. T.:
Springer Mountain to Neel’s Gap

12:21 p.m. on November 14, 2010 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,098 forum posts

Hit the appallation trail in March for a week.Afternoons were sunny but by dusk the temp plummeted to 30's but it was awesome. Mybrother and I are planning a trip now!

8:34 p.m. on November 14, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

It got really dang hot this summer, so it kind of ruined some of my hiking plans. I also got into mountain biking this year, so I ended up hitting a lot of mountain biking trails instead of hiking. I ended up planning a whole heck of a lot of hikes then actually not doing most of them. Going to fix that next year.

Went on a 15 mile backpacker in April in the Smoky Mountains around Charlies Bunion, did a hike to Whigg's Meadow in the Cherohala, did some small hikes around Chattanooga, mostly North Chickamauga Creek Pocket Wilderness and did Sunset Rock around here. Oh and did a hike to Edward's Point.

I also had a second child in August, so that contributed to not getting out as much as well.

Over the winter, I hope to get up to Whigg's Meadow again when there is snow on the ground. Me and a buddy are also planning a trip in the spring up to the top of Big Frog Mountain in the Cohuttas.

I think that's my next planned adventures. I've lived in Chattanooga now for five years and have hit the Cumberlands pretty hard in that time. Think next year I'm going to start exploring the North Georgia mountains.

3:50 p.m. on November 15, 2010 (EST)
33 reviewer rep
201 forum posts

Well... this summer we did The Badlands, The Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Glacier National Park, Crater Lake, Redwood National, Yosemite, Death Valley and a few other State parks along the way.

Here are some pics from the trip.

Badlands National Park
DSC_0371.jpg

DSC_0379.jpg

DSC_0430.jpg

DSC_1010.jpg

DSC_0504.jpg

DSC_0528.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_1012.jpg

DSC_0718.jpg

DSC_0189.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

DSC_0843.jpg

DSC_0305.jpg

DSC_0105.jpg

DSC_0352.jpg

DSC_0160.jpg

DSC_0623.jpg

DSC_0570.jpg

DSC_0371-2-.jpg

DSC_0409.jpg

DSC_0506.jpg

DSC_0411.jpg

DSC_0444.jpg

DSC_0446.jpg

DSC_0473.jpg

DSC_0617.jpg

DSC_0653.jpg

DSC_0545.jpg

Crater Lake National Park

DSC_0798.jpg

DSC_0804.jpg

DSC_0969.jpg

DSC_0981.jpg

DSC_1070.jpg

California Coast at Crescent City

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_1013.jpg

DSC_1031.jpg

DSC_1030.jpg

DSC_0060.jpg

DSC_0182.jpg

DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0082.jpg

Me and my everything

DSC_0192.jpg

bear in middle of photo just above rock

DSC_0198.jpg

DSC_0300.jpg

DSC_0397.jpg

DSC_0312.jpg

DSC_0341.jpg

DSC_0362.jpg

4:39 p.m. on November 15, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

Looks like it was a pretty dull summer for you Big Smoke. Didn't get a whole lot done, huh? ;-)

Dang, I want to go on your adventures.

6:02 p.m. on November 15, 2010 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

This year so far I did about 350 miles of the 800 some odd miles of trail in CT. This winter and next year I hope to finish off the other half then start tackling another state nearby. So far my favorite trail in CT is the Tunxis Trail.

December 21, 2014
Quick Reply