Introduction from MA

10:33 a.m. on December 14, 2010 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Hey, gang...

Just wanted to take a quick second and introduce myself.  I grew up in Colorado but am now in New England, because I met a Boston girl and there ya go.  I've got a couple kids who are definitely city kids, so I'm trying like heck to get them outdoors more.  Right now, geocaching seems to be an excellent lever on them - a little bit of technology to hook 'em, you know?

Grew up camping, fishing and biking (always did a summer tour of Colorado passes) but never backpacked.  Now that I'm all growed up, though, I'm trying to make up for lost time.  Of course, none of my friends here are outdoorsy types, either, so I'm still figuring out good New Englandy places to hike and camp without too many people out and about - even though the Colorado boy in me feels like a wimp using shelters and lean-tos!

Anyway, that's me, and it's nice to meet everyone. 

11:01 a.m. on December 14, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace, TimmyMac!

11:05 a.m. on December 14, 2010 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,067 forum posts

Welcome TimmyMac:-) Well you have Pennsylavania New York and New Jersey, Connecticut. Just Kidding ! Your actuallly in a good spot being where your at. Your close to alot of New England states if you do decide to start Backpacking. Oh Falmouth Mass has alot of nice campgrounds to camp at. When I was young I ran cross country and we always did the Falmouth 10k. Nice area. Great idea on the geocaching with the kids too. I did that with a nephew and no he's in scouts. Well welcome aboard.

11:19 a.m. on December 14, 2010 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Oh, I've definitely taken up backpacking!  I'd still classify myself as a newbie, but I've got the gear and some of it's even been broken in a bit.  Right now I'm planning to hit up the northern stretches of the Long Trail and maybe some of the Pemigewasset Wilderness come springtime.  I've got the AMC Best Backpacking book and am trying to plan some good trips...but if anybody wants to send me any remote recommendations, I'll definitely take 'em!

11:48 a.m. on December 14, 2010 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
598 forum posts

Welcome TimmyMac!

You can't live in New England and skip out on the White Mountains of New Hampshire. They contain some of the greatest hikes, climbs, camping, and views in the world in my opinion, but I may be a little biased :-).

I'm not sure what you consider remote, but there are plenty of spots in the Whites that are just that. Most places get no cell reception, and no matter where you hike, most of the areas are a good long hike away from anything. Even lots of day hikes - once you are up on the mountain away from the trail head, you're looking at a good 3 hours+ away from roads, buildings, etc.

There are plenty of amazing huts, shelters, and tent platforms scattered throughout the White Mountain National Forest. Some of the great hikes even include a hut to hut itinerary, which does cost some money to pay for your stays in the huts.

Anywho, let me know if you have any questions about the Whites. They are my personal playground, I love them, and I know plenty about them.

11:56 a.m. on December 14, 2010 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,067 forum posts

Iclimb thanks for that I will have to take you up on that because I have to go through them this summer on the AT. I know theirs a nominal charge and need to find out how much if possible to complete my budget . Thanks.

TimmyMac you have the Appalachian Trail that runs through your state. Mt Grey Loch hike is a 15 mile loop on the trail. Look forward going thru your state this summer.

11:46 a.m. on December 15, 2010 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Thanks for the suggestions and welcome, fellas.  Fair warning: I'll probably put the bite on your for specific info once I narrow my trips down.

6:12 p.m. on December 15, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,493 forum posts

Welcome TimmyMac!

Good to have you here, I'm in the Southeast so I can't tell you much about New England, but you'll have no trouble getting good advise here.

We like people that "bite".

9:52 p.m. on December 20, 2010 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,298 forum posts

i'm outside DC but grew up in the northeast.  for my city kids, we have started small - day hikes that take anywhere from a few hours to a healthy day.  we try to camp out once or twice a summer, so far just in campgrounds.  we try to make it fun: a non-breakable thermos of hot chocolate goes a long way on cool weather hikes, for example, and taking time out to check out wildlife or go for a swim on a hot day works well.  my kids all remember the hikes where we had close encounters with wildlife - a good-sized blacksnake, a large snapping turtle in the grass, a couple of beavers building a lodge, and so on.  if the kids seemed tired or particularly grouchy, we bail out.  

we have them each take a backpack but don't let them carry much weight - lightweight layers, a few snacks, and a small water bottle.  that's a key - big water bottles weigh a lot and weigh kids down.  i tote extra water bottles for them. 

you have a lot of options within easy reach with the berkshires, monadnock in new hampshire, the white mountains and the appalachian trail, the green mountains and the long trail.  a lot of the ski areas have pretty good hiking trails up the backside of the mountain. 

don't underestimate cycling and canoing - a lot of great places to do that in MA and new england.  my kids are 13, 10, and 7, and bike rides are pretty popular with all of them, especially if we have an interesting destination. 

October 20, 2014
Quick Reply