Hiking the Subway in Zion Nat'l Park by GeoQuest-Tech Video

7:05 p.m. on January 15, 2011 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,070 forum posts

About 10 minutes long showing the whole route in,down and out of the Subway in Zion Nat'l Park

12:26 p.m. on February 5, 2011 (EST)
19 reviewer rep
160 forum posts

Wow, that's awesome, I seriously think that is something I want to add to my upcoming trip. And it looks like that was a day hike too?

1:38 p.m. on February 5, 2011 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,070 forum posts

Yes, its a great day hike, best done in the summer months from May to October when the air temperture is warm as the water can be quite cold in the other seasons.

7:47 p.m. on February 25, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Wow, that brought back some amazing memories. We were trying to climb UP this route (we all have technical rock climbing experience).

We spent our first afternoon setting up ropes for the next day's ascent of South Guardian Angel. As we returned to our camp (camping is no longer allowed, I believe) at the mouth of the Subway, we were caught in a flash flood. Fortunately, we were in one of the very few spots where it was possible to scramble up about 50 feet on one side of the canyon. And that's where we were stranded until morning, bivying in a small cave in the wall of the canyon.  We hightailed it out of there the next morning when we could see what we were doing and when the waters had receded.

It seems that it had rained pretty hard somewhere miles away from the area, and the Subway is where a lot of the water drains into. Needless to say, my advice is to be really careful about the weather forecast for the region before going into this or any slot canyon!

8:51 p.m. on February 25, 2011 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,070 forum posts

Did you manage to get your camping gear out when you scrambled up the 50 feet above the flood water?

12:12 p.m. on February 27, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
563 reviewer rep
286 forum posts

I did this hike recently.  It's pretty cool.  Here's a shot of my friend negotiating a deep pool holding his Canon 7D camera.

4837612937_713a77565f.jpg

4:45 p.m. on February 28, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Did you manage to get your camping gear out when you scrambled up the 50 feet above the flood water?

All our camping gear was set up in campsites at the mouth of the Subway (downstream from us), so most of us had to sleep in partially wet clothes, although some had a few changes of clothing inside drybags along with us.

July 23, 2014
Quick Reply