Georgia looking at charging fee for hikers

7:38 a.m. on January 21, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

It looks like Georgia is considering charging for a three-day pass or annual pass to hike, cave, climb in certain areas. Tennessee may soon follow.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2011/jan/21/georgia-looks-to-charge-fees-at-wild-areas/

9:55 p.m. on January 21, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,225 reviewer rep
1,264 forum posts
3:38 p.m. on January 28, 2011 (EST)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

Quite frankly, I would be willing to pay a fee of $19 per year to continue hiking her in Tennessee, so long as the fees are used for park/forest upkeep and maybe helping out the Park Ranger budget.  After all the Rangers do quite a bit out there for us!  Besides, our tax dollars can't fix everything...I know we try, that's why our country is in so much debt.

3:43 p.m. on January 28, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,058 forum posts

I know theirs a self registration when doing the At but if its a section hike and you didnt register...Thats a ticket....also you have to register for the shelters and campsite if its only a section hike..That means to be a thru hiker it has to begin 50 miles before and after the smokies...Thats what I have found out...But yes I would pay a fee for use...

August 1, 2014
Quick Reply