MSR Lightning and other new MSR with New Bindings

10:15 a.m. on January 31, 2011 (EST)
22 reviewer rep
23 forum posts

Greetings;

After doing rentals for the last 3 years and trying different kinds of snowshoes, my wife and I purchased some MSR's last weekend. I got the 25" Lightning with the Ascent bar, she got the EVO with the Ascent bar.. There was an event in RMNP and the MSR line was demo'd we got the demo's later at the mountain shop.. "go there, they are nice folks".. anyway.

My Lightning shoes had, the new binding system. big front strap, regular pull strap middle and back strap.. they have the adjustable toe piece for pigeon/duck .. i am slightly duck, and thought they would work.

Do NOT buy the MSR with the new bindings, the middle strap has what i will call a D ring that you hook on like normal MSR's. however the D ring detaches from the shoe and it's gloves off to get it back on.. and if you lose the little button to button the strap on.. it slides off the strap.. not good.

The swivel toe, would not lock into place, it iced up and YES i did set it before i went on the hill.. the pull strap for the pin tore loose and i had to use pliers to reset the pin in the proper hole.. the whole binding system  is way overengineered.. the old "bombproof" 3 pull strap design up front and the 1 pull strap design for the heel.. is the way to go... the shoe itself is wonderful, the binding.. no way no how.. its dangerous, one should not have to glove off, in cold weather to fix your shoes.. two weekends.. thank God it was only 32 on Sat. no wind..

1:38 p.m. on January 31, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,397 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

Good information. I've rented the Evo's with the "old" four strap system and it worked flawlessly for me. Sorry you had to suffer through that experience...

8:00 p.m. on February 3, 2011 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

I suggest talking to MSR about this. They have very good customer service. If something broke, take a picture you can email to them. They should be able to help you sort this out.

11:24 p.m. on February 3, 2011 (EST)
22 reviewer rep
23 forum posts

I would have, but just after the trip, we went to the Mtn shop, exchanged them for the same MSR's sans.. the new binding.. found a pair with the old 3 strap/1 strap, had to pay another 20 bucks.. but it was worth it..

1:04 p.m. on February 4, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,307 forum posts

I went on a shoeshoe trip a few weekends ago, one member of the party had the new bindings, think they were Lightnings also. He had nothing but problems, it seemed like every 1/4 to 1/2 mile something would come loose and come off and need to be readjusted/connected.

I agree that they should have never gone away from the old bindings, they are awesome. Hopefully they will go back to the old ones and get rid of the new ones.

Buyer beware!

August 20, 2014
Quick Reply