"Yosemite Skiers Survive Snowy Ordeal"

11:27 p.m. on March 22, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

An interesting account of a group caught in Yosemite backcountry during a big winter storm...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ski/detail?entry_id=85537

2:04 a.m. on March 23, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

As the second comment poster to this article noted:  who plans a trip into the Sierra without checking the weather forecast, or worse, intentionally skis into the maw of a predicted large storm?

Ed

8:56 a.m. on March 23, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

who plans a trip into the Sierra without checking the weather forecast, or worse, intentionally skis into the maw of a predicted large storm?

Ed

*straps on skis and plunges forward*

"Leeeeeeeeerooooooooy Jeeeenkiiiiins!!!!"

9:19 a.m. on March 23, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

a quote from the letter:

"This ain't Disneyland. There's no "stop" button! I'm going to remember that next time."

....not knowing that skiing in the Sierra in march isn't Disneyland... that pretty much tells the story in my opinion.

3:47 p.m. on March 23, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,133 forum posts

I spent the months of January to May 1980 living in Yosemite. I generally had nice weather, but on one trip some friends and I had a storm that was not predicted hit us while we were at Glacier Point. It dropped 4 feet in 24 hours and buried us in our gear. We ended up staying past the 5 days that we had intended on staying and the park service came in and picked us up in a helicopter after our 7th night when the weather finally cleared. My body core temp had dropped to 93 degree's and one of the others got mild frostbite on his toes and a finger. The snow was a heavy wet stuff that buried our tent and we had a heck of a time digging it out after we were allowed to return to retrieve our gear a day later after being flown off the mountain.

August 28, 2014
Quick Reply