Would you pay a TH parking attendant?

10:23 a.m. on June 16, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,325 reviewer rep
1,206 forum posts

If someone camped at the TH and promised to look after your car for a small fee would you pay it?  It may not be legal but it might help.

On a trip to Mexico a missionary friend told me a boy with a sling shot asked him, "I will watch your car for $5. If I don't, your windows might get broken."
800px-Palestinian_boy_posing_with_slings

Whaddya think?

1:13 p.m. on June 16, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

When in Rome do as the Romans do.  I would pay as window's are expensive, esp. far from home.   I found that when I was in Mexico I had a lot more fun and got a lot more done by paying these little gift/donations/taxes/extrorts.  When ever I go to Mexico I always hire a local guide for very cheap per day to show me the local hangouts and the palces where regular Americans don't get to go.  It can make for a really, and I mean really good time.  Plus it ends up bieng way cheaper as the locals charge much higher prices to Americans in the places most Americans go.

2:49 a.m. on June 18, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

If parking at a camp ground I make it a point to go talk to the "host" if there is one. Just making some small talk with them, asking a few questions and letting them know where and what Im doing. They always tell me they'll keep an eye on my truck and to let them know when Ive returned. Just knowing my vehicle is somewhat safe makes the trip easier.

So I think Id pay. aslong as it was'nt to much.

"CHICKLET" "CHICKLET" Buy the 25 cent chicklets! But pay atleast $1 apiece for them.  Let them wash your windows and give them $5. Mexico works on extorsion. Dont think you can buck the system and get away with it. Like apeman said, "When in Rome......"

12:38 p.m. on June 19, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

@SageToSnow

You should haggle. It makes you look more like a local.

@apeman

How do you go about finding a guide?

2:29 p.m. on June 19, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

tear the Bill in half and give him the other half when you get back and all is well.  Shows him you are out of the money and shows him you are willing to give him the rest if all is well.

This does happen.

2:52 p.m. on June 19, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

ocalacomputerguy:  I just wait till I get where I'm going, usually Cabo, to go fishing and then I wait down by the dock and get some good Tequilia (I'm still not sure if I go there for the fishing or the Tequila) and wait and watch until I find someone I'm comfortable with.  The boat captians also have a good handle on things that are going on and with the people who would make a good guide.  I prefer the unofficial guide (much cheaper and knows where the fun really is) rather than a professionial guide.  I've been told in no uncertian terms that I'd had to much fun when in Mexico (after returning) so depending on who your with might depend on who you pick for a guide.

Callahan:  I never thought of that, great idea.

4:50 p.m. on June 19, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

By all means yes. Since having my vehicle broken into not too long ago I wouldn't even question it. A busted window and replacing everything that was stolen is quite hefty when compared to paying a lot attendant fee. Trust me, I know first hand.

9:59 a.m. on June 20, 2011 (EDT)
3,325 reviewer rep
1,206 forum posts

My kids want to take a camping trip now just to watch the parking lot.  They think $10 per day sounds reasonable. 

8:39 p.m. on June 20, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

I might have to put him in my trunk.

10:50 p.m. on June 20, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

trouthunter said:

Be careful. Most cars have emergency pulls now-a-days, one pull and he's out and your car is screwed.... unless you kill him, but that wouldn't be nice after all he's just trying to make a living.

5:56 p.m. on June 21, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

ocalacomputerguy said:

trouthunter said:

Be careful. Most cars have emergency pulls now-a-days, one pull and he's out and your car is screwed.... unless you kill him, but that wouldn't be nice after all he's just trying to make a living.

Haha, well of course I wouldn't really put him in my trunk, but I might be tempted.

8:45 p.m. on June 21, 2011 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

I tip the bag guys when I play golf...  I tip the waitress when I eat at an establishment.  Sure I would tip the dude watching over my car at the trailhead.  I'll also tip the mechanic replacing my windows and stereo after the kid I tipped makes off with my stereo.  LOL

7:45 a.m. on July 6, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,057 forum posts

occala is partially correct about the hagling. Although around border towns with alot of Americans many of the prices are fixed. Apeman is correct always look for the locals to provide a guide service to place's tourists do not go. I have family in Mexico and have been many a time. Also that picture you posted Sage could be part of the US down by the border. I had to pay atleast a parking lot attendant in  Neuvo larado American side to watch my car in a church parking lot everyone parks at. Not just mexico..

4:01 p.m. on July 6, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,085 forum posts

Down in Sedona and West Oak Creek they requirea$5 parking and hiking fee per day. Its been said not to be legal but all the areas at trailheads now have either pay boxes orparking attendants. One cannot get into the parking area or to thetrailhead without paying, nless like some you park down the road and walk in. But then one runs the risk of being ticketed by the forest service for no parking fee sticker. So they get you wheter you want to pay or not.

12:16 a.m. on July 7, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Yep they get ya oneway or another there, I kno people who got ticketed along the road. Im sure they have a reason (other than raking in $$) for the fees at the parking areas ie. upkeep and toilet services and such. But I dont understand why they ticket ya on the road?! Ive never seen them doing upkeep on the creek. Its not illegal to park along the road and sit by your vehicle, just dont leave your vehicle or youll be fined. WTH!

One of many reasons I say Some people need to be hung, flogged and shot for whats happened up in that area!!

End of Rant, atleast for now :)

Oh, Welcome back Gary

10:08 a.m. on July 7, 2011 (EDT)
3,325 reviewer rep
1,206 forum posts

If I were retired I'd camp at trailheads and watch cars for play money.  My young kids already want to do it to pay for Summer Camp. 

4:40 p.m. on July 7, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,085 forum posts

I paid for summer camp by selling donuts door to door every sunday. Saved about 10% of the price charged for the donuts after buying them and the cost of paying my dad to haul me all over the neighborhood. That was in the late 60s.

July 31, 2014
Quick Reply