snake bite survival drug

4:23 p.m. on June 26, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

This is interesting ...

http://news.discovery.com/human/drug-boosts-snake-bite-survival-110626.html

I wonder if we'll soon be adding a container of this to our first aid kits ...

6:15 p.m. on June 26, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Thanks for passing that along bheiser1.

That's very interesting.

In the meantime I wish I could add some anti-venom to my kit.

8:08 p.m. on June 26, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Thanks for the info.

1:34 a.m. on June 27, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,339 reviewer rep
259 forum posts

Huh. Must be made out of distilled whiskey ;)

5:01 p.m. on June 27, 2011 (EDT)
22 reviewer rep
23 forum posts

Sounds like snake oil to me..

1. In the case of nitrate administration It's not just the lymphatic system that drops pressure.. its  your systemic blood pressure that will also drop. Nitrates are a vaso dilator, commonly used in acute angina attacks.. or some times used in hypertensive emergencies. 

2. It may slow the absorption, but as in the case of viper bite.. the venom is also a digestive protein. "make the mouse go down that much easier"..  The longer the venom remains in the tissue the more tissue necrosis will occur.

3. One will hardly know the dose given by the snake, it might have bitten something else in the last 24 hours and the dose might be slight..

4. I hate articles that say " a study just published" no peer review, Bob's pretty good study is what i call them.

5. It merits more study, and publish both the outcome and undesired effects of nitrate administration.. Just IMHO..

But it beats cut and suck all to heck..truly, that is barbaric and still snake bite kits are sold.. without any proven efficacy.. that is not just my opinion either..

12:24 p.m. on June 28, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Seems like a wonder drug and will make millions,,,,,,,,,, and save ?

I am confused as this is something you rub on the snake bite area, thus pushing the venow, that is under the skin, into the body even more.

Also when I read the guy HYPOTHESIZED the wonder drug, I actually thought of the word hype.

Not discounting this, but I will happy to see more positive results of others using this as a last resort and having success before I consider it as my snake bite help.

August 29, 2014
Quick Reply