Cody Lundin ("abodude") -- Anyone here have personal experience with his school / classes ?

8:34 a.m. on July 16, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

re:   www.codylundin.com

I have had an on-going fascination with Cody Lundin ... aka "abodude", and his premise of primitive survival skills.   For many years.

I wonder (?) what any of you here at Trailspace, may think of his schools ... or, have actually attended one or more of the classes offered.

I was going to attend one of his schools in the pine-barrens of coastal,  Southern New Jersey, many years ago.   But ... did not happen.

~r2~

10:45 a.m. on July 16, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,168 forum posts

I have taken a short course with him at a survivor course called Backtracks which holds a semi-annual week long meet. It was at one of Backtracks meets called Wintercount down near Maricopa AZ outside southwest Phoenix.

He basically talked about and showed the participants different plants of the desert.

He is very informative and knows lots of uses for plants.

12:15 p.m. on July 16, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,485 forum posts

I taught Cody everything he knows about getting lost, going barefoot, going hungry, drinking dirty water, wearing minimal clothing, and arguing with a hiking partner.

I don't know where he learned all the useful stuff, but he's very knowledgeable isn't he?

Seriously I would love to go to one of his schools, amongst several others that concentrate more on my neck of the woods here in the Southeast.

Clemson University has a Naturalists course that I plan on taking next year.

5:19 p.m. on July 16, 2011 (EDT)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

I can't say I know anything about him or his schools, but I remember seeing him on one of the Survival TV shows.  I though he was crazy!  Walking around in the wild with no shoes!  :)  But he was very informative.

Wolfman

9:41 a.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,486 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

All I can imagine is a lot of chanting and peyote. But I'm just mean like that.

10:19 a.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Aahhh, yes ....  "loco-weed" and "organic" peyote buttons.  

Wondering (?) what that stuff will do to 'Ya ?   Can't be all bad ... can it?

~r2~

2:06 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,195 forum posts

Who needs Cody when you have a treeline?  These guys are entertainers first and foremost, the rest of us are backpackers who can get out for our bag nights whenever we can to wherever there's a treeline or a desert or a forest or a river valley, and we go as much as possible.  We'll be carrying a decent shelter so we won't have to make a lean-to hide, and we'll have enough food to keep from killing things or eating worms just for a TV show.

BTW, I thought when people make and produce films for entertainment, that no harm is to be done to any animals during production?  Movies make a big deal of this.  Not so these survivor shows.  The final straw came for me when one of the "Dualist" killed a turtle just for a televised paycheck, and it was not even done for actual survival.  Tsk, tsk.

All these guys have backup teams and support personnel and helicopters and all else---throw one out alone for two months with a flint and steel and a knife and let him take a camera to record his experience and then we may have a decent show.  And then we won't have the usual Survive This! or Survivor Hominid or Dual Feet or Wombat Woman Wild or Nature vs Man or Man vs Beaver or Rattlehead vs Man or Man vs Enraged Yak and instead will have a show called "I'm Dang Well Lucky To Be Alive After Six Months In The Yukon."  End O' Rant.

2:24 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,275 forum posts

Dang it Tipi, I should be working right now, but that's too funny!

3:27 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

+1 on that Tip, I don't see the need to kill something(although I use to hunt I now observe and take my rifle for a walk) unless it is a TRUE act of desperation and my life depends on it.

The latter end of that post is hilarious. Thanks for the laugh.

I need to buy me one of dem dere whirly-bird thinga ma bobbers. Home Depot here I come. :)

3:36 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,195 forum posts

I'm trying to get the US Army to provide a Black Hawk helicopter to fly support and stay overhead on my future backpacking trips but there's some red tape involved.  Stay tuned.  I may think Dust Off, they may think Mini Gun, so maybe it's better I go without.

4:07 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Cody doesn't really seem as though he is into the killing of wildlife. Dave on the other hand always seems to take situations as hunting trips.

No matter what he is going to find some "red meat" as he so oftenly lets Cody know that he is a meat eater.... Sometimes you can't always have what you want Dave, calm down.

4:31 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Love animals ... don't eat them

~r2~

4:33 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I'm on my way to the zoo as we speak. I am gonna hop the fence at the gorilla "exhibit" and designate today as "Hug a Gorilla Day !"

Anyone with me? They have Polar Bears too. :)

9:28 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

I'm on my way to the zoo as we speak. I am gonna hop the fence at the gorilla "exhibit" and designate today as "Hug a Gorilla Day !"

Anyone with me? They have Polar Bears too. :)

If you happen to notice Gary's bicycle, you should know he may have already done that.

It might be on his "4-square" list.

~r2~

12:37 p.m. on July 21, 2011 (EDT)
RETAILER
5 reviewer rep
47 forum posts

I have corresponded with Cody for quite awhile. His book, 'When All Hell Breaks Loose' has been a big seller for years. It is well written and humerous. He seems by all respects just your average , normal, hippie dude. I have no experience with his school but I think I would trust him. He is smart and does not take himself to seriously.

4:00 p.m. on July 21, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I am planning on getting the book.   Probably from his website, rather than that monolithic "Amazon".

~r2~

11:17 a.m. on July 31, 2011 (EDT)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

Tipi, what you said pretty much hits the mark and is funny!  I will say though, that if you go into watching those shows knowing they are for "entertainment", then they actually are pretty entertaining.  Though they may have a neat trick or two to show the viewers, they are way behind what someone can learn in a forum here!

12:22 p.m. on July 31, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,168 forum posts

At Cody's website he says:

What’s your favorite survival skills gathering?
There are many skills gatherings that have sprung up over the years. I would bet that all of them have been influenced by Rabbit Stick Rendezvous; the oldest (23 years) and largest of the bunch. Six days of training from dozens of the best instructors in the world, all for $275…and they feed you morning and evening! I’ve been teaching modern survival skills and primitive living skills at Rabbit Stick for 22 years, so unlike many “endorsements” in the marketing world, this one comes with much experience.

This is where I met him, actually at a survivor course in Arizona called Wintercount which is ran by the same group that does Rabbitstick which is their fall course in Idaho. Wintercount is held in the spring (feburary) in central Arizona.

1:17 p.m. on July 31, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Hmmm ....

Will file this info.   I've never been to Arizona.

I have been thinking of traveling to Arizona for a specialized Yoga training program, for another certification I would like to have.

Perhaps (?) I can combine that with Lundin's classes ... and, spend some time with you, Gary.

Now, THAT would be a great "Package Deal" !

~r2~

October 1, 2014
Quick Reply