About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Games interfering with sports.

12:01 p.m. on July 21, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,679 reviewer rep
1,137 forum posts

Earlier we saw the quote something along the lines of: "there are only three sports; car racing, mountain climbing and bull fighting, the rest are just games"

Is anyone else tired of weekend-killing kids games and tournaments?

This year we said to Hell with Summer games like baseball, soccer and basketball  and decided to do more climbing and hiking instead.  We have way more fun at the crags and in the mtns than we ever did watching kids run around the playfield.  No one gets cut from our team, I never stick them out in Right Field or make them sit on the bench.

07032011307-1-.jpg

I was a jock as a kid, I had my day.  I have nothing to prove by living through my kids.  I refuse to be that guy, yelling at the kids from the sideline.  Games are good for kids, and mine do fine at them.  My kids will still play games this Fall and Winter when we aren't hunting.  For us though, we are trying sports, not games this Summer, and LOVING IT. 

I think it bears trying.  Let me know what you think.

1:39 p.m. on July 21, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Games and sports, as you categorize them, are both good for kids.  Nothing better than a broad cross section for them to learn, understand and benefit from all experiences associated (good or bad).

2:42 p.m. on July 21, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
2,221 forum posts

Do whatever it takes to get them off the couch!  (But I agree do not ruin the experience by being a d**khead parent.)

Ed

4:09 p.m. on July 21, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Probably was me with the Hemingway quasi-quote (it is always debated), only I think I mentioned a fourth:  Sky-diving / parachuting.

"Motor-racing" of all types, not just auto-racing.

But, YES ... I do agree with you.   We should allow our children to find their own way, with our support.   No sense, as you mentioned, living vicariously through them.   Encourage them; don't PUSH them.

I advocate exposing more kids to scouting.  It kinda fell out-of-favor, when the "gay scoutmasters" scandals hit, many years ago.   Don't think it has come back anyway near former levels of participation.

Sad.

Too many fat kids ... and, even fatter parents.

They are almost doomed.

~r2~

9:37 a.m. on July 22, 2011 (EDT)
2,679 reviewer rep
1,137 forum posts

I didn't want to call you out, but it was your mention of that quote that inspired me.  My son loves it and uses it all the time now. 

Fat kids, ugh! I don't think that the days back when we used to taunt them mercilessly (sorry!) were the right way to go but, OH MY! SOMETHING MUST BE DONE!

ANGRY RANT AHEAD TAKE PRECAUTIONS:

Being a fat kids and adult is as unhealthy as being a smoker.  We take drastic steps to save kids from drugs, alcohol and teen pregnancy but we let them snack on borderline poisonous semi-foods and cut PE programs in schools.  I can't believe it.

A teacher was fired for sending a note home to the parents of his obese students warning of the dangers of childhood obesity and some steps to help. They said he was destroying the gordito's self confidence. 

I heard that the scouts hereabouts now have a height/weight chart that kids must fit within in order to participate in trips which are more than 30 min from help.  It so sad. 

10:44 a.m. on July 22, 2011 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
1,045 forum posts

@ Robert- scouting has fallon out because more than just that. Some parents think scoutmasters and any volunteer to a scout troop are baby sisters.Also the first big case your talking about was against who's grandson? scouting is officially a private orginization. With all the issue's that have happened it's taken a serious toll on scouting.

@Sage to Snow- Are not the things your doing promoting fitness, logic skills. corodination and agility? Are these not the things that orginanized sports claim to do for children? Lets  add this First aid, social skills and team work, and proper diet and how to pay attention to detail and enviormental suroundings. You just threw the theory that organized sports promotes more.Here's a few questions do your kids have more energy, look forward to going on your hikes and climbs,  as a parent do you feel that these things your doing are going to carry over to their teens when peer pressure is at it's highest? Also dont they say video games increase hand eye corodination, but doesn't climbing and rope handling skills? Who has a better chance to make better decisions for themselves the kid playing soccer or the  kid who wants to hike, hunt, and climb? Also as a parent do you and your  wife feel  more at ease about decisions your kids will make in the future because they are learning so much more?

4:24 p.m. on July 22, 2011 (EDT)
2,679 reviewer rep
1,137 forum posts

Yes Denis, well said.  We are deffinately taking a different road to the same destination. 

April 18, 2014
Quick Reply