Dog deaths blamed on (blue-green) algae toxins

12:48 a.m. on August 24, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

While on my bike trip in Oregon the other day I came across this in The Oregonian newspaper.

http://www.oregonlive.com/environment/index.ssf/2011/08/two_more_dogs_die_from_blue-gr.html

Here is a PDF from regarding Blue-Green Algae.

http://www.ocjc.state.or.us/OHA/news/2011/2011-0523.pdf?ga=t

1:28 p.m. on August 24, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Sad news, head the warnings.

9:38 a.m. on August 25, 2011 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

We are ,as dog owners,the ones responsible for the safety of our pets.

2:13 p.m. on August 26, 2011 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

These latest dogs did not undergo autopsies. But veterinarians suspect algae toxins killed them

I understand there is a past history with this and all, but without any real science involved, this is all just supposition on their parts... It may very well be completely accurate, but they should have at least done a toxicological blood test for some level of confirmation.

Being on the east coast this is new to me, at least as far as I know, we don't have that issue here. I'm assuming, since they don't give the genus/species, that this is different than the blue/green algae (Spirulina) that I take & give my dog as a nutritional supplement?

We are ,as dog owners,the ones responsible for the safety of our pets.

Well said. As equally for our pets as for our children.

I'm a big believer both in being able to handle medical emergencies wherever I am, including in the woods/mountains, as I am a believer in homeopathic & herbal medicines. If nothing else, I can administer something that might help them survive long enough to get to the hospital & in many cases no further medical treatment is needed. Two homeopathics, tiny little vials that weight a couple ounces, go on every trip with me. Arsenicum & Belladonna. Both are foundational in homeopathic medicine for toxic ingestion or buildup, and would be the first things I would go to for something like this. I have used them in the past and can account for two cats that certainly would have been dead before getting to the animal hospital, that didn't need to go at all. Certainly something worth learning about...

Anyway, thanks for the heads up Apeman.

September 2, 2014
Quick Reply