Yellowstone hunts killer grizzly bear

4:00 a.m. on August 30, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts
7:46 a.m. on August 30, 2011 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

"Hunts" huh? The bear thinks he's doing the same thing. It's the same old story, and it all boils down to public education and perceived risk.

8:44 a.m. on August 30, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
581 forum posts

How is "public education and perceived risk" operative when a bear kills someone?

The bear may kill again, since it now understands that man is not to be feared. Fortunately, killing the bear prevents recidivism.

Unless you feel that the bear merits public education so that it may weigh its actions - killing humans; based upon perceived risk of being killed itself. I fear, however, that traditional aversion therapy would require the mauling of too many human subjects per bear for this to be practical.

1:31 p.m. on August 30, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Recently watched:

National Geographic: Bear Island (2007)

Taking viewers deep into the Alaskan wilderness to a place -- Chichagof Island -- where the brown bear population is the densest on Earth, researcher LaVern Beier deploys cutting-edge technology to learn more about a predator under siege. Using National Geographic's Crittercam, Beier -- who's survived four bear attacks -- hopes that by tracking the mighty brown bear on its own turf, he and his colleagues will learn more about how to protect it.

Grizzly bears are called brown bears when they live in a coastal area. LaVern ALWAYS goes out armed.  He says you are stupid if you don't. During the filming he had to shoot a bear. He and his partner had just radio collared a female. They waited until the bear regained consciousness and wandered off.   While they were leaving the area a male stalked and attacked them. He said no matter how you feel about bears you are stupid if you go unarmed.

overmywaders said:

The bear may kill again, since it now understands that man is not to be feared. Fortunately, killing the bear prevents recidivism.

Most bears are not aggressive enough to attack hikers going about their business unless startled or protecting cubs. Any of them that are should be killed. Don't get me wrong, I don't think we should run around shooting every bear that doesn't run in terror from us. I don't think there is anyway that we will every stop mother bears from protecting their cubs, but bears that attack need to be killed. The only excuse for not killing them would be if they were grossly provoked.

If I remember history correctly black bears on the east coast were much more aggressive a couple of centuries ago.  Humans killed off the aggressive ones. Humans killed off the ones that weren't afraid of humans. What's left now are the relatively timid ones that can be scared off with loud noises and aggressive behavior and they seem to be doing just fine.

Can you imagine what would happen if bears became aggressive enough again to attack conscious humans with those nice smells of food? No more hiking with food. After all you shouldn't cook at your tent site, sleep in the clothes you cooked in or have anything to do with food at your tent site.  Even smelly things like soap or hand sanitizer (Does that mean I shouldn't wash my hands?) shouldn't be at your tent site. How would you carry food? Drag it 100 yards back of you? Maybe we could rig helium balloons to carry it.

Public education is only a part of the solution to prevent bear attacks and there will always be the uneducable or uncaring (see this web page) who need to be fined and or expelled for not following the rules. A small number of bears will be too aggressive and have to be culled. I think some efforts should be made to conditioning bears to stay away from camp sites and food containers.  (Here's a research question. How many times does a bear have to encounter a bear canister before it will just ignore them?)

1:56 p.m. on August 30, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

ocalacomputerguy sai

The bear may kill again, since it now understands that man is not to be feared.

Can you imagine what would happen if bears became aggressive enough again to attack conscious humans with those nice smells of food?  ... you shouldn't cook at your tent site, sleep in the clothes you cooked in or have anything to do with food at your tent site. 

Hmmm ....

Suggestion:   Humans preparing to trek in Griz / Brown Bear country might eat a diet consisting primarily of cabbage and bean burritos for several days prior to the outing.

This would create a "natural bear repellant".

These bears would once again "fear humans".

~r2~

2:14 p.m. on August 30, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

r2

COL (chuckling out loud)

Unfortunately from what I've seen on nature shows the noise involved might make them thing you are growling at them and provoke them.

How bad was the hurricane for you?

2:17 p.m. on August 30, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Ok, I understand the point and motivation behind the article linked above, but I truly despise the sulfuric condescension and sarcastic tone of the whole thing.

It doesn't matter what the subject is, such manipulative confrontationalism is juvenile and pathetic.  It does not operate by reaching out to the intellect and conscience of the audience, but subversively by appealing to reactionism and the selfish prideful aspect of ourselves that wants to be superior to "the horrible people" who do those things. 

(Ocala, my comments are not directed at you or meant to contradict your post)

6:10 p.m. on August 30, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,295 forum posts

I just returned from the Tetons and Yellowstone a few weeks ago.

the place where Mr. Wallace was found is known for frequent bear sightings, so much so that the trail is closed for the spring every year, and the area is noted on the national park service website for Yellowstone.  it's less than ten miles from the site of another bear mauling/death that occurred 4-6 weeks ago.  every trail i hiked out there was clearly marked with a sign that noted bear might be in the area, given how often people have seen bear this summer.  

The park service advises people in these areas to hike in groups of three or more, make noise when approaching blind spots in trails, and carry bear spray (highly concentrated pepper spray).  it doesn't sound like either of these hikers had bear spray, and the most recent attack, the guy was hiking solo.  basic precautions weren't followed.  my condolences to the families, because this is tragic.    

1:23 a.m. on August 31, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Robert Rowe said:

ocalacomputerguy sai

The bear may kill again, since it now understands that man is not to be feared.

Can you imagine what would happen if bears became aggressive enough again to attack conscious humans with those nice smells of food?  ... you shouldn't cook at your tent site, sleep in the clothes you cooked in or have anything to do with food at your tent site. 

Hmmm ....

Suggestion:   Humans preparing to trek in Griz / Brown Bear country might eat a diet consisting primarily of cabbage and bean burritos for several days prior to the outing.

This would create a "natural bear repellant".

These bears would once again "fear humans".

~r2~

OOps  I .... myself

9:12 a.m. on August 31, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

Ocalacomputer guy said:

but bears that attack need to be killed. The only excuse for not killing them would be if they were grossly provoked.

Would wiping out there habitat count as being grossly provoked?

11:24 p.m. on August 31, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

dwoods8581 said:

Ocalacomputer guy said:

but bears that attack need to be killed. The only excuse for not killing them would be if they were grossly provoked.

Would wiping out there habitat count as being grossly provoked?

Sadly, not to the majority of humanity.............otherwise this would not be happening.

6:44 a.m. on September 16, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

Interesting thread ...... but a lot of intellectual masturbation going on.

A human being was killed.

September 30, 2014
Quick Reply