More wolf news........Good or Bad,

4:51 p.m. on September 6, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

In regards to the rising wold population...........Good or bad?  I guess it depends on where you live and if you have to take a monetary hit or if your just plain afraid of the beasties.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14637701

2:23 a.m. on September 7, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
109 forum posts

I doubt I'll ever see one in the wild, but I like the fact that they're out there, somewhere.  I hope to at the very least hear them howling the distance some night.

10:31 a.m. on September 7, 2011 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,243 forum posts

Wolves-of-Yellowstone.jpg

in the Wind Rivers, the Gros Ventre, the Wyoming Range, the Tetons, Yellowstone, Glacier, the Teton Wilderness (southeast of Yellowstone park, head of the Yellowstone River) and the Gila (New Mexico) I have not only heard them I have seen them.

All the ones I have seen were at a distance out in meadows thru binoculars and like their smaller cousins the Coyote, I have heard them howling/talking back and forth to one another.  In the Teton Wilderness a friend and I saw a carcass that wolves had been feeding on during the winter. We were there in late May. Their tracks were all over in the snow. We followed them far into the woods and found places they had slept after feasting on the animal, a elk. I took the antlers back to Jackson Hole and sold them still attached to the skull.

The Yellowstone wolf pack which was reintroduced there in 1996 have done well. At the end of 2010 the estimated number of all packs is 97.

2010-Yellowstone-Wolf-Pack-Territories.j

For more info on the wolves and all other species of wildlife numbers go to:

www.nps.gov/yell/naturescience/​wolves.htm  

7:50 p.m. on September 7, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I am a member of "Defenders of Wildlife".

Go to: www.defenders.org

We help by donating money to our cause, and writing (Email) messages to our Congressmen and women, as well as the Secretary of the Interior.   It is simple.   The websites do all the composing of the messages, and we merely "sign" the petition or letter electronically, by checking a box.  

It works.   I have had direct responses from my Senators and Congressional Representative.   Even had their staff call me.

We would like the think we had something to do with the success of the re-introduction of wolves into our ecosystem.    It is a lot of work, but gratifying.

Go to:  www.savewolves.org

This administration is NOT doing what they promised when they campaigned for our votes.

If you have an interest in preserving wildlife, you might avail yourself of the information on those websites.  You can subscribe to the online newsletter, if you are hesitant about getting involved at this time, and wish to read about what is going on.

The wolves will thank you.   ;-)

~r2~

8:03 p.m. on September 7, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

apeman said:

In regards to the rising wold population...........Good or bad?  I guess it depends on where you live and if you have to take a monetary hit or if your just plain afraid of the beasties.

Bear-in-mind, Brian, the BBC is one of THE most liberal "news" sources in the world.

Be ever-skeptical of what you read.

Not all bad; however.   Just to let you be aware.

~r2~

11:24 p.m. on September 7, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Robert Rowe said:

apeman said:

Bear-in-mind, Brian, the BBC is one of THE most liberal "news" sources in the world.

Be ever-skeptical of what you read.

Not all bad; however.   Just to let you be aware.

~r2~

Indeed, But the BBC, even though it is westeniszed and liberial still gives me the most complete new from around the world.  All news reporting is slanted in one way or another.  The BBC breaks down the news by geographical area, continent, country and then smaller divisions as necessary.  They have Bussiness, Sci-Enviroment, and Tech as well as some other sections that I don't bother with.  I find it has the most daily news from around the world.  Once I know somthing is going on I can then go research it.  I also find the Christian Science Monitor site very informitive.  I try to stay informed and not get sucked into one sided reporting but that is very hard as again all news is slanted one way or another.  One thing I do not look at is news buy and from American news companies as they are some of the most slanted of all. America thinks it is the center of the world and even the universe and only reports (slanted) news from the US.  It's a really big world out there and I will not fall prey to that trap.  But yes, I do know that the BBC is slanted towards the liberal side.

5:27 a.m. on September 8, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Correct, Brian.   I also have the BBC World News on my homepage.   If you listen to NPR, and follow the radio broadcasts of the BBC's so-called 'news' ... be sure to wash your ears out with bleach afterwards.

And as you cited, the Christian Science Monitor has been acknowledged as the least-biased.

~r2~

2:59 p.m. on September 8, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,612 reviewer rep
1,252 forum posts

I agree with RR on the CSM. I listen to Liberal Public Radio just to remember why I should vote though it burns me up knowing that taxes pay for it. 

Regarding woves though, like I always say, wilder is better for the wilderness.  as long as the gov't makes it reasonably easy to get compensated when one of their wolves eat livestock, I wish the wolves well. I am also a hunter so I might like to bag one someday, though I admit that I have never seen one in the wild yet. 

October 30, 2014
Quick Reply