Asolo Powermatic 200's to take or not..

1:48 a.m. on September 10, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
29 forum posts

I own a pair of these lovely boots but haven't been using them because the first time I attempted to break them I got a major blister on the back of my heel (on day hike with a  light pack) and was kinduva put off (been using Asolo Mythos, love these). But would like to give the Powermatics another chance.

Recently I walked around all day with a liner sock, no blisters. REI also showed me a couple ways to lace up my boots (which kept my heel in place). The boots are the right size (the Powermatics seem to run larger than normal) unfortunately one foot is a TAD bit smaller than the other :(. But the liners and the boot lacing method seemed to help, just wondering if I should attempt to take it out on an upcoming trip?

I have less than 2 weeks before my 3 night backpacking trip (6-7 mile trip with 1,300 ft. elevation gain)... should I attempt to take the Powermatics or just stick with the Mythos? Would having a heavier backpack make THAT much of a difference using the Powermatics? I have yet to use these with a heavy load. And I'll have blister bandages on standby if I attempt to take them, but wanted everyones expert advice/recommendations.

2:10 a.m. on September 10, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

ooohfishy, have you been breaking the boots in? I noticed that ya said the first time ya tried to break them in was on trail with a pack.

I think ya may have learned a valuable lesson. When breaking in heavier boots ya don't want to take them from the box to the trail.

Typically when I break in boots I first start by wearing them for short time periods(til they start to feel uncomfortable)daily. This may be around the house, to the store, etc. As time goes on I wear them longer and longer. When they finally get broken in your feet will tell you.

Out of curiousity are you using anything to treat the leather to help with the breakin process? If not I would definitely recommend it just to soften the leather up so the breakin period isn't as drawn out as it can be. Plus this will help protect the leather. The 200 is a gore-tex boot but ya still have to take care of the leather.

If you go this route on the breakin by wearing a few hours a day up to the point you are headed off for your trip(2 weeks) I am pretty sure you will be good to go.

Happy hiking.

4:32 a.m. on September 10, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
29 forum posts

I have NOT been treating the leather with anything. Will definitely grab some treatment!

Thanks for your advice!!

8:50 a.m. on September 10, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

If I remember correctly the 200s are constructed with some pretty thick leather(2.8mm or close to it.) Be selective on what ya put on them and how much.

Ya don't want to over do it because it can make the leather too soft plus causes problems with resoling on some footwear.

I would suggest contacting Asolo and seeing what they recommend. This way if ya do run into a problem ya don't have an issue in regards to your warranty on the boot if they delaminate. Just a thought. 

I personally love Obenhauf's but have never used it on footwear that incorporates a waterproof membrane as far as a FGL boot goes so I am not sure if it would cause any problems with the breathing characteristic of the 200.

I do know Nikwax is good to go when it comes to membranes. Maybe Nikwax leather cream would be the way to go...

12:22 p.m. on September 10, 2011 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,226 forum posts

No comment on your post, but I like your preofile picture. "End of the Trail/Road" !!

10:00 p.m. on September 10, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,307 forum posts

Yeah, I like that photo too - very creative :).  Is that Joshua Tree?

12:34 a.m. on September 11, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

@ ooohfishy :  Once along time ago in a land far, far, away my Mother in  her infiniti wisdom would , when we got a new pair of shoes or boots, make us wear our now boots/shoes to school, but, we had our old shoes or a pair of tennies in our back pack to change out of just as they would be uncomfortable.  Day by day we could wear them longer until we would forget to change to the old shoes/tennies.  It was at that time they were broken in and that way we never got blisters or sore feet while still breaking them in as fast a possible.  Hope this helps

2:47 a.m. on September 11, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
29 forum posts

:)

So I got some 'leather conditioner', rubbed some of that on. 

Wore it today for a few hours, felt fine.

These boots NEED to be taken out, so I think I'll just take them on my trip - they have to touch the trail at some point in its life!! Would I look absolutely ridiculous walking around my neighborhood with a stuffed/weighted backpacking backpack? ;)

my avatar is from my (first backpacking experience, a backpacking class through a city college), yup, Joshua Tree. I've been on about 4 more since then (short weekend trips). 

Will be doing an Eastern Sierra trip (Agnew Meadows to Lake Ediza) at the end of this month for a few days. I'm excited! I'm still a beginner but I just love being away from the city.

12:03 p.m. on September 11, 2011 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,226 forum posts

ooohfishy said: I just love being away from the city.

Yeah, for me thats the best part of hiking and bike touring 180 days of the year and during my days off when I work 3 months a year. People ar such noisy animals!

October 25, 2014
Quick Reply