About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

tarps... pricing vs performance

7:49 a.m. on September 23, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

hey,

i am from germany so my english isnt as good as it should be.

got some questions concerning tarps...

i see on the net that all the tarps from outdoor brands are pretty expensive.

so i came across someone who just used a tarp from harbour freights. i than evaluated my search and stumbled about normal gardening/farming/etc tarps. those tarps are around 65g/m² up to... 600g/m² heavy duty boat planes.

is there any real disadvantage to those planes around 65g/m² - 100g/m²? some of those are even lighter than those provided from outdoor brands.

is the packing size of those cheap tarps the disadvantage? are they just too sturdy for backpacking?

these got aluminium grommets and some even got suspension straps at the corners.

those tarps are available at around 9,- € including shipping within germany for a 2x3m piece.

any thoughts?

thanks

(i double posted cause im kinda short of time)

2:30 p.m. on September 23, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
52 forum posts

Hello, Welcome from Southern California!

I use both Tents and Tarps. Both have their purpose. If the weather is going to be good and the bugs are going to be gone I use a tarp. Otherwise, I use a tent.

As far as Tarps, I make my own. I purchase Silnylon off the internet and sew what I need. Its very easy to sew. I have an emergency tarp that is 6 feet by 7 feet that weighs a about 2 ounces that is packed in my emergency kit and carried ALL the time. I simply sewed stake loops around the perimeter and pack about 30 feet of spectra cord (about 10 grams). It packs into about the size of half a tennis ball.

I also have a larger silnylon tarp 12 feet by 9 feet that I made for good weather camping. Both tarps cost about $30- all together.

I'd stay away from the "hardware" store poly tarps. They're heavy, tear easily, are not compressible and are as expensive as homemade Silnylon.

M

3:43 p.m. on September 23, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Thanks a lot!

I just thought about asking a friend if he could make me a tarp out of Silnylon several minutes ago. I wanna use it as a hammock tarp and take it to mexico and Guatemala. Maybe Thailand too. Already own a lightweight hammock. But I am not looking for going ultralight. Just dont want to carry way too much.

Since I am not that big in trekking I have to do the math, depending on what he is answering. He should know the cost since he id doing his own bicycle clothes. If it is tooooo expensive i just might take a poly tarp with me and decide afterwards if making a diy Silnylon tarp is a good deal. For now I badly want one! :D

Thanks!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300600666047

found that one

5:11 p.m. on September 23, 2011 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Poly tarps will not hold up to hard winds. I have a Kelty Noah 9 that's a great tarp for the price. I wouldnt trust a poly tarp except for making footprints for tents. And even then they are way to heavy.

12:11 a.m. on September 24, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Fully agree with mikemorrow.

I have been adjusting my camping setup recently and one of the recently updated items is the tarp.

I did use and still own a tarp from Ace Hardware.  I bought a 6' x 8' poly (brown and green) tarp to use as a ground cover at the enrty to my tent and uinder the entry area vestibule.  My tent is about 8' long at the entry between stakes/pegs so it fits real well. 

I really like having a tarp on the ground prior setup.  I find me area for the tent and tarp.  Lay out the tarp then unpack upon it, then set the tent.  All gear has a much better chance of staying cleaner and I don't lose anything as it is on the tarp or in the tent.

I have always needed to strengthen the corners of a poly tarp as they just are not strong enough to withstand the load of pulling it tight for staking/pegging out.  I have always added a center point and reinforced for the vestibule stake/peg.

Recently I upgraded to a tent footprint from a company other than might tent.  It fits even better than the poly tarp.

coated nylon taffeta

- for the a slightly larger size (poly6x8 : cnt 8x8) it is over half a pound lighter.

- the new tarp (footprint) does not need corners reinforced.

- it packs much smaller

- shakes off morning dew and dirt better

12:54 a.m. on September 24, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

struggle247 said:

Thanks a lot!

I just thought about asking a friend if he could make me a tarp out of Silnylon several minutes ago. I wanna use it as a hammock tarp and take it to mexico and Guatemala. Maybe Thailand too. Already own a lightweight hammock. But I am not looking for going ultralight. Just dont want to carry way too much.

Since I am not that big in trekking I have to do the math, depending on what he is answering. He should know the cost since he id doing his own bicycle clothes. If it is tooooo expensive i just might take a poly tarp with me and decide afterwards if making a diy Silnylon tarp is a good deal. For now I badly want one! :D

Thanks!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300600666047

found that one

Hi struggle247 and welocome to Trailspace,

I just looked up the tarp in the link you gave.  It say's it's army rated.  Could be the army (who's army?) rated it poorly and now there trying to dump them.  Could be a great deal if it's the right material, or be a bad deal if it's the wrong material.  Find out before you buy.  Notice that they have a very long delivery time.  Hope this helps

6:30 a.m. on September 24, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AI9OLM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

might use that one or the kelty 9.

my buddy said he cant do it much cheaper.

April 16, 2014
Quick Reply