NorthFace Hyvent rain jacket

2:50 p.m. on October 11, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

The hyvent layer on my NorthFace rain jacket is peeling off. Is there a way to stop this or prevent it from happening?

3:03 p.m. on October 11, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hey stork7, welcome to Trailspace. 

I am not quite sure that I would recommend you trying to take on this fix yourself. My main reason is it will probably void the TNF warranty that came with your item.

I would first contact TNF and see what they have to say. All of the TNF gear I have carries a lifetime warranty. 

Here is a link to their warranty:

http://www.thenorthface.com/en_US/contact-us/warrantyproduct-guarantee/

Here is a link to contact them if you haven't yet. Hope this helps.

http://www.thenorthface.com/en_US/contact-us/

Happy hiking-Rick

12:40 a.m. on October 13, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace stork7,

Most definitly contact TNF. Dont mess with trying to fix it yourself, like Rick said, it will void your warranty. Ive never had to use the TNF Lifetime warranty but it/they are supposed to be very good about replacing items from what Ive heard.

Where did you buy the jacket? Stores like REI also have their own 100% satisfaction guarantee. This I have used, they'll look at your jacket and say "Im sorry, let me get you another one" 

Good Luck

11:46 p.m. on October 13, 2011 (EDT)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Call it a warranty issue

11:39 a.m. on October 14, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Thanks to all for their help. I will send the jacket to TNF under warranty.

2:43 p.m. on October 14, 2011 (EDT)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Good Luck,  hope they replace it with new for you.

12:11 p.m. on October 15, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Thanks. I hope so.

2:47 a.m. on October 16, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Please besure to update us on the outcome with TNF

THANX

5:37 a.m. on October 16, 2011 (EDT)
15 reviewer rep
30 forum posts

I've got an older hyvent flight jacket  that has completely failed; soft tatty velco, significant delamination, and horribly weak seams. Now, I haven't used it all that much so the shabby condition comes as somewhat of a surprise. Would it be cheeky to expect TNF's warranty to cover a 5-year-old jacket? Anyone have any insight as to TNF's definition of "lifetime" with regard to waterproof shells?     

10:15 a.m. on October 17, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

It couldn't hurt to try. You could ask them online before mailing the jacket. Here are some links I was given.

http://www.thenorthface.com/en_US/contact-us/warrantyproduct-guarantee/

http://www.thenorthface.com/en_US/contact-us/

1:02 p.m. on October 17, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,348 reviewer rep
631 forum posts

Babokulu,

I would try. I have experience with their lifetime policy, although not with a shell. I bought a pair of their winter boots, my dog ended up getting a hold of them and, go figure, they were leaking. I was honest with them about what had happened and they still replaced them for me, and quickly. Very positive experience.

10:29 a.m. on October 19, 2011 (EDT)
15 reviewer rep
30 forum posts

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep everyone updated on how this works out.       

3:58 a.m. on December 21, 2011 (EST)
15 reviewer rep
30 forum posts

OK, I finally have some results to report. The North Face have graciously offered to replace the jacket, but since that particular shell is no longer in production, they have extended a $200 credit for another one instead.

So, for those who were wondering, The North Face's amazing customer service, at least for older products, is still one of the best in the industry. :)

4:07 a.m. on December 21, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Good deal Babokulu, glad to hear it worked out for ya and TNF stood behind their product.

Thanks for keeping up posted on your experience.

Happy hiking. 

8:44 p.m. on December 21, 2011 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Excellent! Im real glad to hear that, especially since I own a THF with Hyvent.

December 21, 2014
Quick Reply