whats warmer?

11:21 a.m. on November 7, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
126 forum posts

whats warmer,eureka eagle point-15*F or alps mountaineering desert pine+20*F?(eagle point $55,desert pine $65).

1:12 p.m. on November 7, 2011 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,213 forum posts

Unless the -15 and the +20 are not correct gauges for the different products, I would guess the -15 one? Are these sleeping bags or parka's?

1:34 p.m. on November 7, 2011 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

simple math seems to be difficult today

Try here for some more help

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleeping_bag

5:18 p.m. on November 7, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
911 forum posts

Did you mean the -20 or the +20 version of the desert pine?

7:43 p.m. on November 7, 2011 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

$65 for a 20°F sleeping bag seems unlikely, let alone a sub zero model.

Ed

8:22 p.m. on November 7, 2011 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

It seems, from the limited amount of checking I did, that the sub $100 price of the Eagle Point is for a childrens bag. Adult sizes I've seen run from $100 to $120. For that price, there are better bags to be had.

6:38 p.m. on November 8, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
126 forum posts

+20,REI outlet,sunnysports no tax,freeshipping over 50,no such critter as eagle point childrens,not even womens,not even short,reg or long.regardless of differences these are bag measurements not human measurements,if you ate 2lbs. of spicy mexican food before you got into bag and you're 8'tall and 400lbs. the bag doesn't change.it still has the same thermal chachteristics,wether its an alien or gerbil occupying the space in the bag.user reviews are infinitely more reliable than flawed measurement standards for consumer products especially bag temp ratings,example,+5*F mummy bag at wallys 25$ 90% of reviewers said they were close to hypothermia at40*F,W.T.F. we pay tax dollars to fund F.T.C.(comsumer protection)walmart has no huevos to inform its customers because they're making too much from that bag,the old saying screw me once etc.,we all know.INTEGRITY whats that?

7:11 a.m. on November 9, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

Both of the two prior posts seem to have come off the wall.

Eagle Point doesn't have a regular or long? Uhmmm, yeah, they do. And I'm just completely flummoxed with what spicy Mexican has to do with anything except smelling up the bag.

The customer reviews are good things on the internet for these products, but also bare in mind when you are reading them you have to take them with a grain of salt and try to figure out what use the person is using them for. Is it backpacking? is it car camping? Are they actually using the gear properly?

Case in point, last year I was looking for some gloves. I read a couple of horrible reviews from some people who talked about how the gloves didn't stop the wind, they weren't good for winter, blah, blah, blah. Problem with them was these were liners and they were using them to go out jogging or walking their dog. Not for what I use them for. I bought them along with a set of hard shells to put over them. Why? Cuz the hard shells stop the water and wind. I'm perfectly fine with them. Matter of fact, last snow trip I had last winter I had to change my gloves out to another fleece pair because they started burning my hands up.

That's why I come here. There's a lot of people here knowledgeable in the outdoor activity we are in and write some great reviews of the equipment and know how it is used.

I hear ya on Walmart. It's a bit of a shame that they market some of that stuff to the masses. But that's why I don't shop there. But people have to start somewhere. It's all a matter of learning and then moving to what's comfortable to you.

7:45 a.m. on November 11, 2011 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,298 forum posts

my current sleeping bags aren't from walmart, but i used a cheap synthetic zero degree bag from walmart in a pinch.  while i didn't think the bag was comfortable to zero, it was fine down to about ten degrees.  it was pretty heavy and bulky, and the quality wasn't great (one of my kids pulled the zipper and tore the entire strip off the bag about 18 months after i bought it), and the design was also not great - generic, hood wasn't well-shaped, draft tube deficient.  however, supplemented with a bivy bag, it served its purpose.

i think you're better off spending a little more money to get a better quality sleeping bag.  buying a cheap bag that may not be as comfortable and will probably wear out or fail much more quickly is fine in the short run, but if you plan to spend some time sleeping out every year, amortize the cost of a quality bag over 5-10 years (and a good down bag will last much longer than that), and you will get a better sense of cost-effectiveness. 

6:19 p.m. on November 15, 2011 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Add a liner

11:04 a.m. on November 24, 2011 (EST)
269 reviewer rep
43 forum posts

For many of its bags REI, and others most likely, use the European Norm (EN) ratings.  These are independent ratings, not connected to the manufacturer or the retailer.  If you see a bag, like say the Eagle Point -15, that's the manufacturers rating.  Look for an EN rating.  If it's not there then you can be doubtful.  One exception is Big Agnes bags because of their unusual design the EN systems doesn't rate them.  From my experience I'd say that most Big Agnes bags are just slightly overated and a bag rated 20 degrees is more like a 25 degree bag.

Keep in mind that the most important part of any of this is that each of us has differing toleraces for cold.  I'm fine at 15 degrees in a 15 degree (EN) bag but my wife would need one more like -10.

A great deal on bags right now are the Marmot Trestles line by the way.

5:25 a.m. on November 25, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

Here is an informative pamphlet on sleeping bags: LINK  I think it accurately and honestly addresses  the question of temperature ratings.

October 21, 2014
Quick Reply