greenhorn

9:49 p.m. on December 14, 2011 (EST)
14 reviewer rep
49 forum posts

I just saw the memorial for a good friend who died in my favorite hiking spot and i realized how careless he must have been if no foulplay was involved.  It reminded me of my adventures when i was young. The wilderness isnt forgiving but when your young you think your invincible.  I want to know the dumbest things you guys and gals did before you had the wisdom and experience you now have.

I once packed 5 gallons of water, canned food and a 12 pack of beer on a 5 mile trail up a ridge with a couple of friends who brought more beer and tents and such.  When we arrived at the destination we were out of water from our small bottles so we tapped into the 5 gallon container i had been packing.  It was  a bitter pill to swallow when the water tasted like gas because i used an old gas can my dad told me was a water can.  We were 21 and beer and other items were all we thought was needed. It was in the high 90s so we showered with the bad water and hiked back to the truck the next day dry as a bone. it was brutal. Anyone do anything dumber than that?

10:16 p.m. on December 14, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I crossed the Youghiogheny River in Ohiopyle Pa. about 100-150 yards above the falls on foot with a buddy when I was a freshman in high school. The water was maybe chest deep at its deepest points but swiftly moving.

As I reflect I believe I had an angel on my shoulders that day. Probably the most foolish thing I have ever done.

Here is a pic around the area where we crossed:

Ohiopyle-with-Tracey-003.jpg

These are the falls down river:

093.jpg
098.jpg

Indestructible...only in my mind. Extremely foolish?... ABSOLUTELY.

I have learned not to take unnecessary risks anymore and if I do they are very well thought out/calculated. 

9:08 a.m. on December 15, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

A couple of friends and  2 roomates went camping for a weekend.Myself and one roomatres girlfriend drove out the next day to meet them. We met up at the campsite. The guy's had been up all night. We all decided to go hiking.When we went we started to follow the stream then decided to blaze cross country to other trails. We were at a state park. We got towards rocky area and I was ahead being point on our hike. I was jumping one rock ledge to the next when I heard the sound of a rattle. I must have looked like a commedy skit. Basically my feet hit the ground I heard the rattle and I was up in the air jumping back from where I came from. I never made that mistake every again in any park. Shocked the heck out of me.

9:39 a.m. on December 15, 2011 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,371 reviewer rep
1,232 forum posts

There was this guy I voted for once...

Then there was a girl.....

I think you mean in the wilder places though.

One Summer I tried to climb Mt. Daniel (7,960ft) alone without any mountain gear besides my boots.  I got off-route and scrambled up to a knife-edge ridge from which I wasn't sure I could down-climb.  A slip here meant a 1,500 foot near vertical slide on one side and a blocky 200+ ft fall on the other.  At this time  I also discovered I had recently developed a, how should I say, well-developed respect for heights. I began to hyperventilate and panic, knowing that a fall meant a life of destitution for my family and that my body might not be discovered for quite some time. 

So I straddled the ridge and rethought my life.  At least it was sunny and warm. No one showed up miraculously to save my bacon so I inched down the way I came.  Deffinately a Walmart moment--meaning that I had to go to the store for new briefs afterward.

After telling my friend this story recently she asked me, "Sooo, why do you still like this climbing stuff again?"

11:13 a.m. on December 15, 2011 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,294 forum posts

Climbing 100' pine trees with college buds, and getting drunk in their crowns.  One guy slipped and fell - he caromed off tree limbs like a pachinko ball all the way down.  Good thing too; the unbroken fall would surely have killed him.  Bruised but not broken, he announced “I’m alright, but don’t follow me!”  Thereafter we limited our drinking activities to ground level venues or those accessible by stairs.

Ed

1:59 p.m. on December 15, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Climbing trees.  One of the 5 things you let your kids do.

http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2008/08/14/get-the-kids-outside.html

2:41 p.m. on December 15, 2011 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,295 forum posts

Ocala, did you mean this thread?

2:50 p.m. on December 15, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

When I was a child, my grandparents oned a rustic fishing resort at Baker Lake, Washington. We used to wander in the woods on kid adventures. There was a creek...BOULDER CREEK that fed the lake at one end. An old tree stuck out over the water and we would cross on it. This creek was more like a small river. It was swift and there were whirl pools below. We could not swim to save our lives. We were always hanging over that water...no life vests...nuttin......dumb little kids.

4:00 p.m. on December 15, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Ocala, I fixed the link for you: The text of your link was correct, but for some reason the location the hyperlink pointed to was different. 

6:32 a.m. on December 16, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Weird all I did was paste the link into the message.  I didn't test it though.  I'll have to check it next time.

1:36 p.m. on December 17, 2011 (EST)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

I mostly grew up in Yakima as a teenager and did some not to smart things.   Having a rice rocket (Katana 550 Motorcycle) was one of the crazier things.  Did I tell you about the time I crashed it on the test drive?  Well I went back a few days later and bought the same bike! I know, I know... :)

But back to adventuring...

I was out on my bike with a child hood friend, I think it was on 410, but can't remember for sure.  But we found this really cool basalt rock face and a bridge crossing over the river to it.  So I pulled in and we decided to climb it, it was not really high, just a couple hundred feet of vertical rock.  Oh yea, I was wearing cowboy boots and am not to good with heights!

Anyway the climb up was fairly easy, just keep climbing. Yea I know, I did not even thing of how we were going to get down!  Then we heard someone yelling from down below and it turned out to be the owner of the property!  Telling us to get down and get off his property!  I think he was more worried about us falling and hurting our selves then trespassing on his property.   Anyway it took a while to get down, lucky neither of us slipped, but it was very stupid and dangerous, were lucky he showed up when he did, I am not sure if we had keep climbing if we would have been able to get back down there, it was getting steeper and smoother as we climbed.  

What was really funny was after getting our buts chewed out by the owner we got on the bike and headed up the pass looking for more places to goof off! 

Wolfman

6:49 p.m. on December 17, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
563 reviewer rep
286 forum posts

Gosh, where to start?  Driving drunk (I no longer drink), drugs (don't do those either), bar fights (nope!).  Climbing unroped (but only up to 5.9 - I'm not THAT stupid after all!).  Hanging on to car doors while riding a bike - I think we got up to 50 MPH once!

We used to cut the tops off of 12 gage shotgun shells and shoot the wads at each other.  Those suckers hurt!  :-O

I swan across the Colorado river and back one time with a friend.  He almost didn't make it and was going down in the swift current.  I yelled for him to turn over and float so he could rest and breath.

And I once hiked without the Ten Essentials!  :-)

6:54 p.m. on December 17, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Another one just crossed my mind speaking of shotguns.

When I was in elementary school I got my paws on a box of shotgun shell primers.

Well I decided to put some on a concrete block and drop another block on top of them because I thought the sound was cool. 

Lets just say I ended up pulling shrapnel from my shins and still have the scars today. 

12:31 p.m. on December 18, 2011 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

With a firend and our dogs on an exploring hike we ran though, 200m, of restricted sand pumping zone where we could not stop running otherwise we would sink.  The dogs would run ahead and stop to wait for us, they would sink to the bellies real quick and we would have to grab and run as we got to and passed them.  Once or thrice we missed getting the dog all the way out, which added an interesting test for ourselves.  The stuck person would grab the dog that was stuck, throw the dog and then the other person was the follow up runner and lent a helping pull on passing.  Thinking back on it, very lucky to get out of that one.

September 16, 2014
Quick Reply