Good Places to go hiking/backpacking in Oregon

11:59 p.m. on December 22, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

So me and a few friends wanted to pack up some gear and go on a backpacking trip during spring break this year. The only issue is we don't really know any good places to go during the end of March. We are seventeen and we think we are ready to go up by ourselves now so we would like a shortish hike (preferably somewhere with a lake, we don't want to pack water in.) somewhere around the 5-7 mile round trip any ideas would be welcome. Thanks 

-Sam

8:30 a.m. on December 23, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

One place that comes to mind is Crater Lake. You can hike down to the lake which is one mile one way. Also you may be interested in hiking to the top of Mt. Scott. I did both of these hikes in one day and it almost killed me. But it was worth it. You are much younger so it should not be a problem for you. For more information copy and paste the info below into your browser and you can see for yourself what I experienced. Have fun! Joe from Backpack and Gear

www.backpack-and-gear.com/oregon-backpacking.html

10:32 a.m. on December 23, 2011 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

What part of Oregon are you looking at. I've been hiking the coastal area for years.

10:43 a.m. on December 24, 2011 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

crater Lake is amazing

11:42 a.m. on December 24, 2011 (EST)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

Thee Sisters wilderness,Willowas,Mt Hood timberline trail,Mt Jefferson Wilderness and the list goes on.All the above would be great areas to check out.

6:09 p.m. on December 24, 2011 (EST)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

I have never hiked there but the area around Bend OR. is really cool, although it may not be snow free by March.   If your looking for snow free, I would suggest the coast, it may not be very warm, and I would think rain would be a high possibility, but the ocean beaches in the spring are always great.

Wolfman

2:45 p.m. on December 25, 2011 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

William L Sullivan has hiking books out for the differant areas of Oregon. I just got the one for the coastal range. It's very compleat, and includes areas that arnt on the normal hike maps. Some that I thought I only knew about.

1:40 p.m. on December 26, 2011 (EST)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

Mike, don't you just hate it when someone goes and publishes all your "Great Secret" hiking spots!  :D

5:42 p.m. on December 26, 2011 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Wolfman, yes and no. LOL This guy only does Oregon trails. He splits up Oregon into 5 areas. 5 differant books. The areas were just small paths and I was suprised that he took the time to map them out. I just wonder what paths, hikes he has in the Crater Lake area. He even has 200 yard hikes. This is an amazing book. A must have for anyone hiking in Oregon.

12:23 a.m. on December 27, 2011 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
708 reviewer rep
875 forum posts

I would put a second vote in for the Wallowas, especially the Eagle Cap Wilderness. However, in March you might find a lot of snow anywhere in the high country. Another area to consider is the Steens Range. You will also find snow, but the area is quite spectacular, with hot springs, dry lakes, and not as visited as other areas. While Crater Lake is a great place, especially geologically, there will be a lot of snow in March. A hike that is more in the lowlands that would suit your request, would be along the Rogue River in SW Oregon. I have only hiked sections of the trail, but have canoed the Wild and Scenic section of the Rogue and it is a very unique area.

July 31, 2014
Quick Reply