Bear Cannister

12:01 p.m. on January 9, 2012 (EST)
15 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

How do you carry the bear cannister in your backpack?  It is so bulky, it looks to me the best way is to attach to the outside of the pack.  Your thoughts?

12:37 p.m. on January 9, 2012 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,168 forum posts

You can get softer stuffsack like bear canisters, tho some parks don't allow their use. I used the big round ones in Yosemite, Glacier, Grand Teton  and Denali Parks over the years. There they rent them for $3 a day. And are manitory. They kinda limit me when I like to go on long trips as they do take up so much more space in my pack.

12:38 p.m. on January 9, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,316 forum posts

In all honesty this comes down to the particular canister you have and the pack that you are using.

Some packs accomodate a bear canister well, and on others you have to strap it on externally. It takes some experimentation, but assuming your pack has enough volume, you can either put it in horrizontally or vertically. From what i have seen placing it vertically and packing around it seems to be one of the more common methods. Many of the canister makers also make a carrying case for their canisters that makes carrying it externally strapped to your pack more feasible.

When i use a canister with my Osprey Aether 70 i put my dry sack with my sleeping bag in the very bottom, then put my bear vault bv450 vertical on top of that and pack all my other gear around it.

What pack and canister are you using?

2:33 p.m. on January 9, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts
1:02 a.m. on January 11, 2012 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,339 reviewer rep
259 forum posts

I have a Kelty external frame that I strap my bear can to the bottom.  My daughter has an internal frame, and she put it vertically in her pack, and packed her stuff around her. She said it worked fine.

I didn't see it mentioned that bear cans come in sizes. Can you get away with the smaller one?

8:50 a.m. on January 11, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,316 forum posts

Several of the manufacturers i believe have a full size canister as well as a 'solo' canister, some have a mid size as well, well i know bear vault does for a fact. I have the solo size, and for me is plenty of room for most any trip. With smart packing i can easily fit quite a few days worth of food in it.

10:40 a.m. on January 11, 2012 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

I used one of the solo ones for my 3 days in the tetons last year. I I ended up taking way too much food, and could have been out for another day at least. 

3:31 a.m. on January 12, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
29 forum posts

I have a REI Venus (74? liters). Put the canister in vertically (against my back) and surrounded the sides with clothing or tent fly/tent my partner carried most of the tent. Didn't experience any problems, soreness after a 7 mile hike - guess I packed it right.

Sorry, girl here, but MAN tampons and pads take up a lot of room in the canister! :( Super annoying having to go on a trip during menstruation.. grrr!!!

1:12 p.m. on January 16, 2012 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Outside and deployable

3:02 p.m. on February 12, 2012 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Here's a newbee followon question to this thread.. How far away from your camp site do you place your bear canister? If you're in frozen tundra with no trees do you just drop it X distance from your campsite? Thx

3:04 p.m. on February 12, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Me personally? I don't set a bag, etc anything closer than 30yds at the minimum.

7:51 p.m. on February 12, 2012 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

ooohfishy said:

..MAN tampons...

!!!!!!!!!

I am still trying to wrap my mind around what that item is, where they are sold,  and how it gets used.

Ed

8:22 p.m. on February 12, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

How far away do you want the irritated, frustrated, hungry bears to be?

10:32 a.m. on February 14, 2012 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

ocalacomputerguy said:

This gave me a good laugh! Very accurately and descriptively put :)

12:38 p.m. on February 14, 2012 (EST)
195 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Due to hiking out here in California bear canisters have become a requirement.  They are good for the bears but a real pain to pack efficiently.

I generally hike with either a Gregory Palisades 80 (canister either vertical or horizontal), Gregory Z55 or Mystery Ranch pack (only vertical) depending on the length of the hike.  After several years of wrestling with the Bearvault 500 and 450 (different sizes), I found that by repackaging food and putting it in a food bag near the top of the pack, while lashing the empty canister onto the outside of my pack, was a preferable method.  I didn't loose interior space with the canister and being empty it wasn't so bad lashed to the outside.  In the evening I just put the food/toiletries in the canister and place it 50 to 100 feet downwind of camp.

REI has several models of bear canisters to choose from and would be a good place to start looking.

Hope this was a help.

1:21 p.m. on February 14, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

A product that has been mentioned here in the past that may make this whole process a bit easier is the Ursack:

http://www.ursack.com/

Use of course would be completely dependent upon requirements. I don't get off the east coast much lol. 

I know this doesn't answer the question but I just thought I would mention it.

As far as packing a "cannister" I would personally pack it higher in my pack and get it as close to my backpanel as possible so the load weight of my pack isn't off kilter.

I use an 85L pack now so there really isn't much problem with room. 

1:31 p.m. on February 14, 2012 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,299 forum posts

ocalacomputerguy said:

Standard LNT rule - at least 200 ft

1. camp at least 200 feet from trail and water

2. food stored at one tip of Bear-muda triangle (canisters, or in areas of uneducated bears, your bear bag).

3. Cook at second tip of Bear-muda triangle (at least 200 ft from food storage)

4. sump (where you drain dish and pot wash water and separate food particles to be stored in food storage) at 3rd tip of Bear-muda triangle (at least 200 ft from food storage and cooking area)

5. sleeping area outside Bear-muda triangle, so bears do not trip over you and your tent/hammock/etc as they cycle from one tip of the Bear-muda triangle to another.

6. poo-area at least 200 ft from the other 5 locations (think hard about where the WagBag or ReStop bags are stored, when not being packed out - bears and other critters will "investigate" them.

1:44 p.m. on February 14, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

That sounds alot better than the 90ft I suggested. 90 has worked for me when it comes to blackies. 

I guess it really doesn't matter much on the species though. They all like to eat. 

As I have said in the past here raccoons are more of a worry to me than bears. I have seen bears on many an occasion but they are pretty skittish. 

1:47 p.m. on February 14, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Why do you need a separate spot for 4?  Why not do it at 3?

8:46 p.m. on February 14, 2012 (EST)
708 reviewer rep
913 forum posts

usafmsc, On the Arctic canoe trips(Yukon, NWT, Nunavut) nobody uses bear canisters, nor do we hang, there are no trees. Mostly barren ground grizzlies, and polar bears along the coast around HB. Most use barrels, a few use dry bags. Always double zip lock your food. Separate your barrels and put them away from shore, off of any game trail or obvious route. In the middle of alder or willow thickets is best. Keep a clean camp. BG grizzlies are usually not habituated, nor are most PB's, but the latter WILL SIZE YOU UP AS A POSSIBLE FOOD SOURCE. Watch for skinny, old or obviously sick ones. Also avoid any wearing tutus, they are obviously crazy.

12:03 a.m. on February 15, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

For some reason what Erich said brought this "poster" to mind.  If you play video games you'll get the joke.

demotivational-posters-spawn-campers.jpg

3:27 a.m. on February 16, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

We carry our Bear Vault 450 and 500 inside our packs, vertically, on top of our sleeping bags or quilts. They usually end up in near the small of our backs.

Hey moof53, first time I heard of a bear tearing a pack off of someone's back in Yosemite was back in 2005. I don't know if it's still happening, they killed that bear. Where are you hiking?

12:13 p.m. on February 16, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
563 reviewer rep
286 forum posts

whomeworry said:

ooohfishy said:

..MAN tampons...

!!!!!!!!!

I am still trying to wrap my mind around what that item is, where they are sold,  and how it gets used.

Ed

LOL!  Ah, the difference a comma can make!  :-)

4:35 p.m. on February 16, 2012 (EST)
2,329 reviewer rep
5,299 forum posts

ocalacomputerguy said:

Why do you need a separate spot for 4?  Why not do it at 3?

The sump area tends to retain a food smell for a while and bears, raccoons, and some other critters will dig up the ground. The cooking area tends to have the food odors in the air, which will dissipate in fairly short order. The basic idea is to spread things out and keep your sleeping quarters separated from the food-related areas. Very important is to keep "smellables" away from the sleeping area. Yes, bears will bite into toothpaste tubes.

10:32 p.m. on February 16, 2012 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

JimDoss said:

whomeworry said:

ooohfishy said:

..MAN tampons...

!!!!!!!!!

Ed

Or a period for that matter. 

Ed

11:03 a.m. on February 17, 2012 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

whomeworry said:

JimDoss said:

whomeworry said:

ooohfishy said:

..MAN tampons...

!!!!!!!!!

Ed

*facepalm*

11:36 a.m. on February 17, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

gonzan said:

whomeworry said:

JimDoss said:

whomeworry said:

ooohfishy said:

..MAN tampons...

!!!!!!!!!

Ed

*facepalm*

This is an example of a topo map in forums. The more rings the more ridiculous it gets.

11:47 a.m. on February 17, 2012 (EST)
1,339 reviewer rep
259 forum posts

Boys. Sigh.

I teach mostly sophomores. Yep. yep yep yep.

Boys...

5:32 p.m. on February 17, 2012 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

second gear said:

Boys. Sigh.

Boys...

Polite company will state I have a youthful outlook; others more candidly suggest I am immature.  But the observant note my age, and comment immaturity is not the same as stunted development.  I look forward to the year my age qualifies me for full codger status, when all manner of inappropriate male behavior somehow qualifies as less offensive, just because we are old.

Ed 

8:32 p.m. on February 17, 2012 (EST)
708 reviewer rep
913 forum posts

"Yes, bears will bite into toothpaste tubes", they will also eat soap, and anything that might be food. Some friends were paddling the Horton River in NWT a couple of years ago. Jim had been munching sunflower seeds all day and spilled on few on his foam canoe saddle. A Barrens grizzly wandered through camp, by passed the food barrels, and wandered out the other side where the canoes were pulled up. The bear sniffed the saddle, took a big bite out of it, chewed and then must have decided that fresh fish tasted better and went on his way.

Bears learn about different food both by being taught and learning by trying. I have seen tin cans opened by grizzlies(saw a few more last fall in BC). They are never very neat but they will eat almost anything.

8:56 p.m. on February 17, 2012 (EST)
2,329 reviewer rep
5,299 forum posts

And Yosemite bears learn to recognize food by the container. They pass this from mother to cubs. I have seen one walk into a campground (actually a USFS campground just outside the Tioga entrance on the east side of the park), walk up to a table, bite into a coke can, and tilt his head back, letting the coke dribble into his mouth - lost about half of it, though. Then he grabbed the string of fish off the table and ambled off into the brush. The family camped at that table had moved rapidly out of the campsite when the bear approached. There were two bears (brothers by the look of them, about 2-3 years old) that had been frequenting the campground, and all of us staying there had been warned not to leave anything out - there were bear boxes at each campsite.

11:57 a.m. on February 18, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

second gear said:

Boys. Sigh.

Boys...

Yes, we are a bunch of wise fools.

2:28 p.m. on February 18, 2012 (EST)
1,339 reviewer rep
259 forum posts

@ Ed and ocala....

As I said...yep, yep, yep, yep... ;)

4:08 p.m. on February 18, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

What do you try to pound into your students?  My dad only liked to teach seniors. Strangely I only remember him ever teaching was seventh graders. He referred to them as "little con artists."

1:39 a.m. on February 22, 2012 (EST)
1,339 reviewer rep
259 forum posts

@Ocala --  College Psych class, debate, Intro to Psych, and Sophomore English. Keeps me very very busy.  Why do you think I run away outside whenever I can? Students rarely follow me there...

October 2, 2014
Quick Reply