About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Where Y'at?

12:51 p.m. on January 26, 2012 (EST)
RETAILER
27 reviewer rep
103 forum posts

Hey guys, I just signed up for the forums and just wanted to introduce myself. In the grand spectrum of things im a "relatively new" to the whole backcountry deal (as far as length of time goes) but I have logged many miles and many cold nights in that short time. I had a good background as an outdoorsman prior to hitting the trails with a background in boyscouts, hunting, fishing and I used to race road bicycles which got me into mountain biking and triathlons. I really only started backpacking in the summer of 2010 and being that my home city is New Orleans there ain't much to do around here which complicated my efforts to spend time away from people. In that short time from summer 2010 I have probably logged over 1000 trail miles and have probably spent around 60-70 nights in the back country. In that short bit of time I have gone though the southern Appalachians, Ozark mtns, Ouchitta Mtns, Boston mtns, the Colorado plateau and high desert, and the Rockies all via multi day backpacking trips. I have made time to take at least a 3 day 2 night backpacking trip every other week or once a month depending on my work schedule.

Speaking of my work, my incredible enthusiasm for this activity earned me a great reputation at my local gear shop. It was this enthusiasm that led them to hire me about a year ago and now I am happily employed by Massey's Professional Outfitters in New Orleans. If you havent heard of us, I can understand, we only have 4 stores in South Louisiana, BUT we did just win Retailer of the Year for 2012 at OR and we do run a major outdoor E-tailer store (ive even seen our adds on trailspace).

But Im not here to promote Masseys, what I am here for is to add my advice, product knowledge and experience that my customers ask for and to add my trip reports so that it may inspire/help more people to get out into the backcountry. I have often looked at this forum for information purposes in the past and am happy to finally be able to contribute to this great community.

-MG.

1:19 p.m. on January 26, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
488 reviewer rep
1,106 forum posts

Welcome Mumblefords!  

1:38 p.m. on January 26, 2012 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
643 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace, Mumblefords! We're glad to have you here.

1:46 p.m. on January 26, 2012 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,219 reviewer rep
5,180 forum posts

Mumblefords,

Welcome to Trailspace! As one involved in the industry, you can offer some useful insights. Just be sure to include your industry link in your posts (people want to know about potential biases and conflicts of interest, obviously). Hopefully you have read the website's rules and guidelines.

I lived in Mississippi for 10 years and did a lot of bike racing with NOBC, plus hiking and canoeing the rivers in MS, LA, AR, AL, others. My son is at a meeting in New Orleans right now.

Just out of curiosity, is Gus Betat's still in business? I was aware that one of the family owners passed away not long before we moved back to Calif. Betat's was one of, if not the, oldest bike shops in existence in the US, and a major sponsor of NOBC. I still have a jersey in good condition and my TT skin suit, and even wear them from time to time when out on a training ride.

Laissez le Bon temp rouler!

2:18 p.m. on January 26, 2012 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
471 reviewer rep
2,910 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace, Mumblefords. Please feel free to join in the conversations.

Congratulations on working at the Retailer of the Year too! That's great news for Massey's.

2:36 p.m. on January 26, 2012 (EST)
486 reviewer rep
1,356 forum posts

Welcome!

3:37 p.m. on January 26, 2012 (EST)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hey Mumblefords, welcome to Trailspace. I look forward to seeing you on the boards. 

Happy hiking. 

4:14 p.m. on January 26, 2012 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Welcome!

Whattya think about Lowa Boots?

Ed G...Clermont, Fl

The Wakeboarding Capital of the World

and if ya wanna learn to wakesurf while visiting Rat World...contact me

4:56 p.m. on January 26, 2012 (EST)
72 reviewer rep
1,044 forum posts

Welcome  to trailspace Mumblefords..

2:13 p.m. on January 28, 2012 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

A top of that is where I am at

9:59 a.m. on February 26, 2012 (EST)
153 reviewer rep
235 forum posts

Welcome to trailspace. I'm in n louisiana near Shreveport. I spend most of my time on the Arkansas trails. Have you heard that Andrew skurka is goin to be at pack & paddle in lafeyette march 16 & 17th? 6:00 pm on Friday, and 7:00 pm Saturday evening. The sessions are free. You're not too far away.

April 16, 2014
Quick Reply