Woman newbie seeks gear advice...

10:15 a.m. on January 18, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

My girlfriend has decided she wants to go backpacking with me, and she needs some gear. All of my stuff is fairly old, so I am afraid I am not up-to-date on the latest and the greatest. Also, we live in a small town so access to decent backpacking stores is limited, to say the least. For the moment, we are looking for...

...a backpack. Anyone know anything about the Dana Designs New World bigger? Any alternatives in this range?

and what about a good 20 degree mummy bag? I have forgotten all the different synthetic properties so any rundown of polargaurd, hollofil, etc. would be very helpful.

Any opinions, especially from women packers, we would greatly appreciate!

Many thanks,
Steve & Ally

12:57 p.m. on January 18, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Karl, urbansherpa

Hi Steve,

Re; Dana Designs New World bigger ...I have a Dana Sphinx in the same Dana 'DayTech' line of packs as the NW. It is an excellent pack, with a kick-ass frame.(basically same as the NW, but slightly larger with different features Mine has several hundred miles on it, and I've no complaints. **see my full review at www.trailspace.com under gear reviews.
(there is a DD-NW on ebay you might look at)

Re Mummy bag....Look at the a/m site for reviews. You get what you pay for so stick to a quality manufacturer. Also, don't be afraid to buy 'last years' stock from a store. Sleeping bag technology doesn't really change much.
My buddy just bought a Mountain Hardwear Ritter goosedown bag for 50% off because it was last years stock.
For car-camping you can get away with a 'Walmart Special'with the appropriate insulative value
but if you are backpacking then you will be better to spend a bit more and get quality. (durable, compressible, lightweight), Some even have water-repellant nylon which is handy for winter camping. If you go for a goosedown cold weather bag then you should definitely consider repellency.

Here are some quality names to start...Mountain Hardwear, North Face, Marmot, Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends.

Karl

5:55 p.m. on January 18, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

Hi Steve,

Re; Dana Designs New World bigger ...I have a Dana Sphinx in the same Dana 'DayTech' line of packs as the NW. It is an excellent pack, with a kick-ass frame.(basically same as the NW, but slightly larger with different features Mine has several hundred miles on it, and I've no complaints. **see my full review at www.trailspace.com under gear reviews.
(there is a DD-NW on ebay you might look at)

She has purchased the DD after after trying on some other packs. I hadn't realized that it was made in Mexico, but that doesn't seem to be an issue, her VW was made in Mexico too :) Looks like we will get to try it out "for real" in February.

Quote:

Re Mummy bag....Look at the a/m site for reviews. You get what you pay for so stick to a quality manufacturer. Also, don't be afraid to buy 'last years' stock from a store. Sleeping bag technology doesn't really change much.
My buddy just bought a Mountain Hardwear Ritter goosedown bag for 50% off because it was last years stock.
For car-camping you can get away with a 'Walmart Special'with the appropriate insulative value
but if you are backpacking then you will be better to spend a bit more and get quality. (durable, compressible, lightweight), Some even have water-repellant nylon which is handy for winter camping. If you go for a goosedown cold weather bag then you should definitely consider repellency.

Here are some quality names to start...Mountain Hardwear, North Face, Marmot, Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends.

Thanks for the ideas...I have a Northface myself, and enjoy it...we saw a decent slumberjack but don't think its going to compress enough to fit her pack. Any opinions about different syynthetic fill material?
STeve

6:46 p.m. on January 18, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. d, Daniel, Daniel C., Skyeward, Skyward

Quote:

Thanks for the ideas...I have a Northface myself, and enjoy it...we saw a decent slumberjack but don't think its going to compress enough to fit her pack. Any opinions about different syynthetic fill material?
STeve

Ok here's my schpeel on the matter:

Any synth is going to be way bigger than a down, but Polarguard 3D is the best synth fill, hands down.(in my opinion). there is the old Polarguard, and Holofil, but these don't compress as well and aren't as efficient. I fit, no, I CRAM my North Face Blue Kazoo (650down, 20*) into a OR size #1 stuff sack: you could probably get most 30* polarguard 3d bags into a size 2, 20* in a 3 (keep in mind I am a perticularly tenacious stuffer). I've heard good stuff about TNF's Cat's Meow, which is basically the synth equivalent of the Blue Kazoo. Don't think you could go wrong with bags from Marmot or Mountain Hardwear or any of the other big names, though I would stay away from Campmor brand bags: my sister got one and it's not very good.

Hope this has helped,

Daniel

2:24 p.m. on January 22, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Scott, Scott M

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=226&prrfnbr=5347386

You can get The North Face Cat's meow from www.campmor.com for 120.00 bucks.....

Quote:

My girlfriend has decided she wants to go backpacking with me, and she needs some gear. All of my stuff is fairly old, so I am afraid I am not up-to-date on the latest and the greatest. Also, we live in a small town so access to decent backpacking stores is limited, to say the least. For the moment, we are looking for...

...a backpack. Anyone know anything about the Dana Designs New World bigger? Any alternatives in this range?

and what about a good 20 degree mummy bag? I have forgotten all the different synthetic properties so any rundown of polargaurd, hollofil, etc. would be very helpful.

Many thanks,
Steve & Ally

3:46 p.m. on January 24, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Re: Hang on, Cat WALK

Steve & Ally:
If I were under 5'5", as my wife is, I would look at the North Face Cat Walk Delta, which is shorter (read lighter and warmer as long is you fit) than the Cat's Meow, and I would probably find I loved that bag, as my wife does. It is also on discount at Campmor and elsewhere.
Tramper Al.

Quote:

Many thanks,
Steve & Ally

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply