Peet Model 88 altimeter

11:33 p.m. on April 2, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Bought my model 88 over twenty years ago and first began using it backpacking in Colorado. Have been getting ready to use it again but unfortunately have lost the declination chart that came with it. Contacted Peet directly and they tried to help me out but to no avail as the model was discontinued some time ago.

Is there anyone who can send me a copy? It would be most appreciated!

1:18 a.m. on April 3, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

On this page:

http://www.dirttimeforum.com/index.php?topic=373.0

I found a person who owns a Model 88 as of October 12, 2009 the date of the post.  Just scroll down to a post by Nom de Guerre. You have to sign up and wait for them to approve you, but it's the best lead I've found.

What is the declination chart for an Altimeter?  I know what it is for a compass.

1:53 p.m. on April 3, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,272 forum posts

I have a Peet electronic altimeter. I suspect you are referring to the calibration chart that accompanied all their analog altimeters. The electronic one I have included the calibration settings as it left the factory and instructions on recalibrating to compensate for differences in batteries (fresh batteries have different voltages depending on their chemistry - Li have a higher voltage than alkalines, which are higher than the basic carbons, and li rechargeables are higher when fully charged than NiMH, which are higher than NiCd). As Ocala indicated, declination doesn't apply to altimeters - it is for compasses.

12:23 p.m. on April 4, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Thank you both very much!

August 21, 2014
Quick Reply