Back pack hammock tent combo and 2 man tent all in one?

8:59 p.m. on April 24, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

Back pack hammock tent combo and 2 man tent all in one? Is there one like this?

9:30 p.m. on April 24, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Welcome tam1852,

Are you asking if there is a 2 man hammock that converts into a  2 man tent?

Or if there is a combo package containing a separate 2 man hammock & a 2 man tent?

Mike G.

10:33 p.m. on April 24, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I am having difficulty picturing what this would be or how it would function. If you're looking for something that is all of those things (Backpack, hammock, 2 man tent) I would say there probably isn't a product available.

11:14 p.m. on April 24, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

I think I've seen a hammock/tent combo and a backpack/hammock but not all three.

11:38 p.m. on April 24, 2012 (EDT)
60 reviewer rep
115 forum posts

The Chinese make a backpack, hammock, 2 man tent with solar heated sistern to a gravity fed shower and satellite wifi with optional photo voltaic cuben fiber beer cooler and LCD roll out flat screen. But it doesnt come with a remote. They are in very limited production though.

12:03 a.m. on April 25, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

They could make a fortune if they made the beer cooler by itself.  

9:35 a.m. on April 25, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

A backpack that folds out into a hammock with bugnetting that has flaps that make this a tent and flips over into a 2 man tent below and is carried as a backpack or a detachable bullet proof vest.

I designed one.

12:11 p.m. on April 25, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,396 reviewer rep
1,233 forum posts

I hope it works out for you.  New ideas seem to be in short supply these days.  It is deffinately an intriguing idea.  Several members here favor hammocs. 

Since a career change about six years back I don't need body armor anymore but my experience shows me that multi-purpose items have a hard time competing with their single-purpose competition. 

1:05 p.m. on April 25, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

pictures please

2:34 p.m. on April 25, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

I was gonna say that several hammocks on the market can be pitched on the ground as a tent also, though most are 1 man as 2 man hammocks are not as popular due to the restrictions a hammock places on the occupant(s). My WBBB being one of those.

Definitely an interesting thought/design, though its just as easy to stuff my hammock back into its stuff sack and put it in my pack.

I would think the fundamental flaw with this kind of setup, specifically for a hammock, would be the abrasion and other stresses normally put on a pack just through normal wear. One tiny puncture in a hammock fabric can theoretically result in catastrophic failure of the hammock material once the occupants lays in it. The stresses put on hammock fabric are immense and failure to maintain the material will definitely cause a failure. This may not be such a big issue with a net style hammock, but net style hammocks are not typically used for backpacking. I have seen and heard of many hammock failures due to a puncture or other severe abrasion in the main hammock body.

Multipurpose/dual use items are great, but I think the shelter and pack should be seperate due to concerns like i have already mentioned and other similar concerns.

For example, say its just a pack and tent combo. You take a slide down some scree, or get snagged on some thorns. Well now your tent has a nice hole to let the weather in.

Not trying to rain on anyones parade or anything, its just the fundamental flaws i see with such an item.

10:05 a.m. on April 26, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

Hi,

#2 is carried by back pack straps and it weighs less around 5 lbs.I know this is true that multi purpose can be harder to sell. But just the verbal response to this has been great. I am reinforcing it now. Going to take it fot another test today.The novelty of this will sell it , I don't know to how many.Thanks

I can't post pics on here but I have a few on Trilitary Pac on Face book, there is only 5 now hope to have even more maybe even by the end of the day.

Thank you, this is what I want honest opinions to get me thinking so I don't endanger anyone in making these. The whole idea of camping is to have a blast! I have an idea to fix this.But I am using Camo, waterproof not water repellant ripstop fabric that is durable and can't tear very easily. I want to look at your Hammock too . Was it called a BBB? Where can I look at this?

Just figured out we can upload these on here! I uploaded 3 on this site. I will have a bunch more as my camera broke and another will be here shortly.

I am a determined dreamer this makes a happy camper.LOL And I am not afraid of constructive critisism on this so fire away!

11:50 a.m. on April 26, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

WBBB stands for warbonnet black bird, it is a hammock sold by warbonnet outdoors

4:26 p.m. on April 26, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

@ Tam1852: I pulled this of of your profile page:

"So I thought I would try and design something so I could stay at home with my last 3 at home.Heres where I need all of you, I need people to critique my design as I will sometime in the future be making these."

It is an interesting idea. I myself don't use hammocks but to make this fly you would have to combine all the best features of all the combined pieces of gear your combining. That could be rather hard as each of us has a different idea of what constitutes the finest attributes of each piece of gear. My guess is that to be successful, you would have to have a number of different models. I would think you would need UL, 2-3-4 season models for starters

Seems to me that your next step would be to find a couple of people here on Trailspace or some other backpacking sites that could who have real world experiences with hammocks (not me) and could put them thru their paces. I would think you would want to pick people that use there gear a lot and really depend upon it for lengthy time periods. I would think you would want to pick people that use there equiptment hard while still taking care of their gear.  This piece of equipment seems like it might have good applications on long thru trails, just my opinion.

5:05 p.m. on April 26, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

Added some more pictures. 

5:11 p.m. on April 26, 2012 (EDT)
60 reviewer rep
115 forum posts

Tam, when I read your idea my thoughts kinda snowballed until I created the perfect setup and gave the credit to the Chinese. Wasn't making fun of you.

I primarily use a hammock in warmer weather. You have to be exceptionally organized when you use a hammock since you don't have the luxury of spreading your extra gear out on the floor like when you have a tent. Your pack has to serve as a cabinet to store extra socks, water purifier, rain gear, and so on. Usually this is done by hanging the pack from the tree your hammock is on, under the fly. How does your design facilitate storage of remaining articles? Also I have an old design of hammock that you enter from the bottom on. This is ok in warmer weather but when the temps drop and you switch to a loftier sleeping bag the bottom entry is a pain in the ass. Any new hammock would have to be a side zip entry for me to be interested. JMO

5:42 p.m. on April 26, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

I thought what you said was funny!LOL If you look at the pictures of it you can see the tent flaps could be used as storage area under the hammock too. It is very versitle.Those flaps have tent hoops sew right on to it.And yes you get out of the side of it and can even when the tent is over the hammock.

When wearing the back pack the triangle shaped pieces of the hammock on the ends flips out of the back of the back pack to make a hat the tip is folded under and snapped.this same  triangle piece has small triangle slots sew on it. So if you set your back pack on the ground and flip out this piece and use a tripod leg assembly the legs slide into the slots and you have a camping stool.

I like a challenge and I'll see what I can design for a storage area , I do have one but need to think about it for a bit.

6:43 p.m. on April 26, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

would like to see these pics.  what is the link ?

6:48 p.m. on April 26, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

just click on the picture of my boyfriend in the backpack off to the left under my username.

Also look up trilitary pac on facebook.

This is just the first proto type. I am making the flaps longer to make a 2 man tent next time.The reinforcement I made worked on the ends, not even a creak in the fabric when I got into it.Has two pockets you can use for a soda or book too while as just a hammock and it is one you can get out of on the side.

Take a look at the pictures in my profile.

Hi, Thanks for your thoughts. I know there are better of each funtion on this, but this will I believe be good for a quick run in the woods as it is easy to pack and put up. And could be for long hauls because it is all in one and you don't have to carry so much gear.I already have plans for other models . Like a smaller one for kids, one that has a detachable life preserver in front. A one and 2 man tent below and a way to make a big tent out of 2 of them together. I am having alot of fun...LOl anyways 7 pics are on my profile, take a peak and tell me the truth what you think. Thank you I appreciate the pros challenging me!

10:29 p.m. on April 26, 2012 (EDT)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

I had a look at those pics ...

What I see of the "backpack" is what looks like to me a container for the hammock/tent but not a backpack to carry your stuff inside it.

Trilitarypack.jpg

Maybe day stuff such as some munchies and a couple of water bottles but where would you put a mat/sleeping bag/clothing/food/stove/fuel and so on ? Franco

10:54 p.m. on April 26, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

You can put things inside of it, You lay it flat and put your things inside the bug netting area and fold it up , it encloses your things.But yes it is all enclosed with your tent hammock too.

I'll show how it works when my camera is here in a few day via mail on a video on you Tube.It will be ready I beleive in less then 2 weeks.'Anyone know where to get thr Dutch clips wholesale?

Yes the wbbb's are really nice. My profile has several pics now of the Pac

7:06 p.m. on April 27, 2012 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

If this was such a good idea, the folks at Natick would have designed one already. Then again, the military loves this kind of stuff-overambitious, overengineered, overpriced, too complex to be field repaired and does nothing particularly well.

7:17 p.m. on April 27, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Tom D said:

If this was such a good idea, the folks at Natick would have designed one already. Then again, the military loves this kind of stuff-overambitious, overengineered, overpriced, too complex to be field repaired and does nothing particularly well.

Oh Tom, you're just mad because you didn't think of it. :)

7:44 p.m. on April 27, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hey tam, you should add inflatable bladders to this pack. Then if you are in a jam and by water you could float it down a river.

I'm being serious. Survivalist would love it. 

12:56 a.m. on April 28, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

It's ok to be a smart aleck I am one too.LOL But I spent months on this and I know it works and it is just getting better all the time. this week alone I figured out the chair stool part and a side flip down spot to put gear that can be used as pockets in the back of the back pack and all because all you ornery guys challenged me.what up ....LOl

I'm a woman and I can set this up in minutes and take it down in minutes too.I'm glad I'm creative and we don't need the big wigs designing everything for us now do we? Come on you guys are always trying to figure out how to make everything better and this is great, me too.

1:09 a.m. on April 28, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I was really being serious. If you are in a bad spot and near flowing water(ie a river) the quickest way out without using a ton of energy up would be to float not hike. 

1:13 a.m. on April 28, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

I think all this is fun, I have been really challenged and I want this, not only do people not believe it will work ,(it does) but they are telling me what is really needed when they are out. One guy told me shelter for gear was a problem and I have an idea that will work.thank you for the feedback.

Floating it, you could do this if you took and folded it out straight and I fliped the sides in with a long way to attach it so you could put long balloons or bladders(?) into the long slots, you wouldn't float very well but you would probably survive.Even if it wasn't great just the fact that you might survive would be good.

True, Since you have detachable back pack straps or a detachable bullet proof vest why not put a detachable life preserver on it . it could be flatable too and you could just blow it up and put it on. And it could fit in your pac.

people can be silly, because if you have options even if they aren't the best you have more of a chance to survive, right. I would rather have this anyday as it is multi functional. no it isn't the best back pack or tent out there but it is multi functional and people would live because of it. This is my hope.

I guess I fit into the survivalist camp the most I am co owner and SEO of everything survival.And I have had to multi task my whole life being the mom of 9 kids,LOL I love dual purpose things and am always trying to make things easier.

When I finish my You Tube video , I think people will see how it works and really think it's pretty cool.

1:37 a.m. on April 28, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

In order for innovation to happen there has to be those that push boundaries and think outside the box. 

1:41 a.m. on April 28, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

true, and I totally agree. We all have had atleast one thing come to mind that we thought we should patent.

What did you think about a detachable inflatable life preserver?

This is as small as it gets , and your comment and another gentleman on here got me thinking about extra room and a place or pivy to store supplies sew right on to it that is dual purpose , I;ll show you when I get it sewed what I came up with, I think it will solve both.But , you can get quite alot of things in it as it is folded up so it can stretch.

M

Let me see if I can explain this.The hammock ends are triangular, sew 2 flaps that are waterproof and very  light straight down the sides that can be rolled right back up tight and put into the pack, these flaps when pulled down to the ground will have tent loops sewn onto them and posted. These same flaps will be poctets too. Only one side of the top being sewn onto hammock flap.so when you pull this hammock end out of the back of the back pack you can have 2 extra hanging pockets for extras, if you dont want to use them just roll them up and cinch and fold them into the pac.????? What do you think

so basically as the tent part is set up , remember it it still hung on the trees, that triangle part will have two flaps of fabric sewn down both side along the triangle hammock end and with tent loops sewn on that can be used as extra storage in a jiff .again these will be pockets too, so if you pull the triangle part out of the back of the backpack will have 2 hanging extra pockets if you need them.

Were you thinking of the bladders being in the front  or on the sides?

8:32 p.m. on April 28, 2012 (EDT)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

Tammy

My comment was really meant to suggest that maybe your 3 in 1 it isn't seen by some from the same point of view (usefulness) as yours. And of course most products are but you may want to check around to see if even a minority would consider it before starting production. For example you mention "patenting" something there. A patent is a lot more complex and expensive (think thousands of dollars not hundreds ) than some think and in my opinion is not worth applying for unless you hire a patent attorney. If you don't chances are it will not be worth anything as others will find a way around it... But do keep in mind that I don't get at all the "survival" thing so I am obviously not thinking the way you do.

Franco

9:35 p.m. on April 28, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

Your not the market for this alone, I already have alot of people who want it, I've watched my back and even have a licence overseas.

2:17 p.m. on April 29, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

wow

those are some dam good drugs your on to come up with this contraption you have......................

11:12 p.m. on April 29, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

LOL, It was really weird I thought of one thing after another and it all works. But, no drugs...LOL Did you look at the pictures on my profile?

Just click on the guy with the Trilitary on his back. Let me know your honest opinion.

Global Spec just invited me to their online Defence and Security Event. Is this ligit? Anyone know anything about this?

Did you actually like it?

11:21 a.m. on May 8, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

Just got a manufacturer

11:09 p.m. on May 10, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

Got a Manufacturer for the Trilitary Pac 4 days ago.Very happy here. It will be way better then the pictures as this was the beat up proto type that I kept having to resew, LOL

11:13 p.m. on May 10, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

Hey Callahan 6 pics on my profile you wanted a link for

11:12 a.m. on May 11, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Already looked, interesting, any chance of clearer pics, e.g. digital camera rather than phone ?

11:56 a.m. on May 11, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

I am awaiting a good camera now, making 3 perfected ones this weekend. Have a manufacturer lined up . This is the ruff proto type and as you can imagine the work I had to do on it to perfect a pattern to be able to do all of these things with ease. After the good ones are made I am doing a youTube video next, showing how it all works and field testing it. I found the best material very durable 1.9 ripstop nylon camo waterproof .

12:45 p.m. on May 11, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,397 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

Tom D said:

Harsh Tom! lol. but some of it true as well. Tam1852, I wish you the best in your creative endeavors!

1:46 p.m. on May 12, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

This is more of a convienient day pac that you can set up quick and go take a nap for a weekend.Or for the Military for certain missions.I don't claim it to be the best but multifuctional. This is not the finished product (but the prototype, it will be much nicer after the right materials are used. I am going to make them smaller for Boy scouts and so forth.

1:50 p.m. on May 12, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

Thank you, a little pat on my own back, he  should try and come up with something like this with 9 kids and 3 still at home and one is 20 and is very ill.And the offers keep coming in.And a little or alot of critiisism just pushes me harder, LOL.

2:59 a.m. on June 6, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

New pictures of the Trilitary on my profile

8:34 a.m. on June 6, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Clark nx-250, dry compression sack, inside a USGI buttpack is how i do it. It is said that in a pinch the nx-250 could be pitched on the ground but i haven't tried it yet. Clark also has 2 person hammock tents called the Vertex and the new Flex 180 both of which use tent poles (i think) so i don't see why they couldn't be pitched on the ground.

1:05 p.m. on June 7, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

There are fabulous other gear out there, no dought.

12:55 a.m. on June 15, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

Trilitary pac as a back pack.It has 4 zippered pockets also inside. These pockets are inside the hammock tent walls and the 2 man tent walls also. They ofcourse can be used to store things in the pac too. The flap in front of the Pac flips over and the tip snapped back and it turns into a hat when you are carrying it the hat has draws strings too.It weighs I bet about 5-6 pounds.
HPIM4081.jpg

12:56 a.m. on June 15, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

Trilitary Pac Hammock, zipper on side to get out, has a cup and magazine pocket .
HPIM4066.jpg

3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

Trilitary Pac  2 man tent, you can see the space blanket in the inside of the netting. This can be taken out as not to hang down in the tent.You also can take the tent floor and pull it all the way out as it has 6 more tent loops and it can be used as a 4-6 man cover tent without a tent floor .
HPIM4040.jpg

3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

Hammock Tent
Image212.jpg

12:58 a.m. on June 15, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

Trilitary Pac Tent
HPIM4042.jpg
we couldn't pull it out all the way here. it has a zipper to get out of the side while a hammock tent too.

12:15 a.m. on August 22, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

It has 13 inch foldable velcro straps at the top and on the sides so it can carry the bladder or a fishing vest, bullet proof vest.

2:17 p.m. on August 23, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

tam1852 said:

... you can see the space blanket in the inside of the netting. This can be taken out as not to hang down in the tent.
HPIM4040.jpg

Just wondering, but you say the space blanket is 'inside the netting'? Do you mean in the roof of the tent?

10:01 a.m. on August 24, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

when it is a hammock it is inside, when you flip it over you can leave it as it is rolled up to one side, but it looks better of course if you take it out before you flip it over into the 2 man tent.

10:13 a.m. on August 24, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

A space blanket has to be as close to the skin as possible to work.

Not trying to give you a hard time, but I'm not sure how this would work to add extra warmth. In hammock position, I can see it, but as a tent, I wouldn't think it would be much help.

Or am I misunderstanding?

4:12 p.m. on August 25, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

It can be rolled out in the hammock to go over or under you and also can be taken out to use in the tent too. It is multifunctional.

9:24 a.m. on September 13, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

Well, I have been working on strength of the Trilitary Pac and finally have it. It is being tested now. I am using two 1.9 nylon ripstop and waterproof  pieces under the hammock as I wanted people atleast 250 lbs to get in it too. It looks way better then these pics as I have been spending time on it instead of pictures. The tent pic above was not a good one as we were cramped at this Fair and couldn't pull it out all the way! It looks like a camel or something here! LOL

9:30 a.m. on September 13, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

Another thing, If you don't need a bottom to your tent and use something else like a blanket or vinyl or whatever, you can take the bottom of the tent and pull it out and it has extra tent loops and can fit 3-4 people under it if need be. Just nice to know in case you need more room quick.

6:50 a.m. on November 7, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

I think its cool. For sleeping, I'm not a hammock guy, but to have the option without carrying anything extra is nice. DD hammocks makes one you can lay on the ground.. not a back pack tho.. ;)  

This is actually a solid idea that could be useful to bushcrafter types. The part about rolling up your items inside the sac.  There would be things to work out still, like at least some access to stuff before opening it ALL up. At least for a day pack trip, could be very useful if its built tough.

I could also see a possible application of the idea for ultralight (super, mega, whatever, lol) backpackers. In this sense I don't have any specific idea. Just the the overal concept of using the pack as a shelter system, this is ultra efficient and falls right in line with their philosophy.

10:37 p.m. on December 3, 2012 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

Thank you for your thoughts I really do appreciate it. When this is up as a hammock there are pockets lines on both sides of it and these are flipped over when a tent and then they are inside the tent.People I have talked to have been more concerned with not having to get out of their shelter in bad weather to get there things.So I worked mainly on this feature.

September 17, 2014
Quick Reply