Looking for hiking partner

10:20 p.m. on May 3, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hi everybody,

I'm going to be in the Erwin, Tennessee area from May 5th through the 10th and was looking to see if anyone wanted to go on a hike or point out a good trail to me.  I'm new to the game so I found a decent one for a beginner (AT Indian Grave Gap/Unaka Mountain), but I'm wary about going out by myself for that.  I know it doesn't seem too tough, but you never know what could happen.  I was just wondering if anybody wanted to pair up and do a good day hike.  Any level of difficulty is fine with me.  I'm a college student and I'm in fairly good shape.  So, if you want to meet up or know someone that could show me some trails message me at shamm@live.unc.edu.

Thanks!

Stuart Hamm

11:30 p.m. on May 3, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace, Stuart! 

Though I hike often in East TN, as I live in Chattanooga, I won't be free that weekend. 

Best of luck finding someone to hike with you!  

10:52 a.m. on May 4, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,761 reviewer rep
360 forum posts

Welcome, Shamm!

I've got the trip for you! Roan Mountain, TN (not far from Erwin) from Carver's Gap to US19E on the Appalachian Trail. Park your car at Mountain Harbor Inn Hostel (US 19E) and have them shuttle you to Carver's Gap. Walk back to your car on the AT. AMAZING hike. Check out my album (Roan Highlands) if you get a chance. I am going to try to do a trip report today on it.

I did see that there is a chance of thunderstorms up there this weekend though, so be careful. From personal experience, you do NOT want to be on a 6000 ft bald in a thunderstorm!

11:01 a.m. on May 4, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Ashleigh said:

From personal experience, you do NOT want to be on a 6000 ft bald in a thunderstorm!

But it's so much Fun! 

;)

(the above is a joke, just so we're clear :) 

11:03 a.m. on May 4, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

welcome and good luck, be safe, have fun

2:10 p.m. on May 4, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,761 reviewer rep
360 forum posts

ha! Zero fun, Gonzan! :)

2:42 p.m. on May 4, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Yeah. When the hair of your head starts to frizz out and your hiking poles start dancing from the electricity building up, get the heck out of there!

11:21 p.m. on May 4, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

So, I found two trails that I will most likely take, if weather permits.  I'm going to be close to spivey gap, so I will either start of end there.  Should I take the trail north from Spivey Gap to the Nolichucky River, or south over Bald Mountain to HWY 23.  The first is shorter but supposedly more strenuous and the second seems easier but is longer.  Any suggestions?

11:00 p.m. on May 17, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Darn! I just today joined Trailspace was looking around the site when I  found your post. I live in Unicoi County, TN - Erwin is the county seat. I would LOVED to have joined you for some hiking. I'm so close to the AT that I feel like it's part of my yard, and I spend A LOT of time there! If you (or anyone else) comes through this area again, let's join up for some trail time. I always hike with my dog, and he's dog/human friendly.

October 21, 2014
Quick Reply