About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Hello!

9:26 p.m. on May 20, 2012 (EDT)
95 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

I live in NYC, having moved from Austin, TX about a year and a half ago, though I'm a native coming home. I've been an outdoor enthusiast for too many years to admit. Since I've been back to the northeast, I've been given the chance to start hiking the Catskills. It's my aim to hike the 35 3500' peaks there. Some tough slogs, those Cats. No meandering paths through serene forests - these are some pretty tough hikes. Most trails are like dry creek beds lined with football-sized rocks, or mud.

Beautiful country, though, and I look forward to offering TRs on all of them.

I'm no weight-weenie. Since here, I've been more of a base-camper/hiker. I've also been turned on to staying in lean-tos. Great things, those. Especially when climbing into a tent is the last thing I want to do after a seven-mile round-trip up and down some mountain. I'd rather just fall onto my bag/pad for a quick cry before starting that night's fire.

So, I look forward to seeking out and offering advice and opinion, submitting TRs, looking for good deals on gear, and doing all of the other things we do on these forums.

Heck, I may even know some of you from other forums...

11:39 p.m. on May 20, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
908 forum posts

Well a big hearty welcome to you bigsilk!

Looking forward to your trip reports.

12:42 a.m. on May 21, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

gidday

12:42 a.m. on May 21, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

looking fwd to hearing of your trips, good and bad , reviews and if again

12:15 p.m. on May 21, 2012 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace & back to the Northeast.

Catskills are one of my favorite places to hike. I'm looking at doing the Devil's Path this year. The whole place is astoundingly beautiful country. And yes, very rough terrain there, but always worth it when you get to the top.

Feel free to ask any questions that can help you get re-acclimated again.

9:45 a.m. on May 22, 2012 (EDT)
95 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

There's a decent chance I won't be going back up this season, at least not peak bagging. I went as recently as a week and a half ago and the black flies were out in pretty good numbers. We did Eagle and Balsam one day, and even with temps in the low seventies, we were sweating like crazy.

I think I'd have to train a bit for DP.

I might be looking at some more even-terrain hikes, though, maybe east of the Hudson.

Look forward to seeing you on the trail.

April 17, 2014
Quick Reply