Hello!

12:36 p.m. on July 10, 2012 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

Hi Everyone..

new to the forum, thought I would introduce myself...

I know I am posting in the "beginner" forum, although I am far from... I am an avid camper/fisherman/adventurer. I head out into the bush every weekend, and it never seems to be long enough. At the moment I am trying to figure out a way to live in the forest for most, if not all year, every year.. (open to suggestions! haha).

Looking forward to meeting some members and expanding my knowledge.. Maybe even looking for a few people to do some serious survival camping trips with.

Unfortunately I need to get back to "work"... sigh.

Nice to (kind of) meet all of you,

Erik

3:13 p.m. on July 10, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,518 forum posts

Hello and Wlecome! Glad you came in. You will find many great people to talk and share with. Gary Palmer is out "in it" most of the year...I am sure he will weigh in soon!

3:35 p.m. on July 10, 2012 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

Actually I read some of Gary's posts.... seems like he is living the life I have been working towards.. I would love to hear how he makes it work!!

5:58 p.m. on July 10, 2012 (EDT)
1,377 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Welcome Erik and good luck with your plan. Gary is indeed The Man.

My retirement job will include leading hikes up into the mountains; as long as I can get someone to pay for it, I'll be gone every weekend.

6:15 p.m. on July 10, 2012 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

That'd be nice. Unfortunately I am far from retiring. I just can't take the city life anymore... Weekends are not enough, my body and mind crave the great wilderness every day. I just don't know why anyone would want to spend half of their life working.. (unless it's on your cabin!!) I would give up everything I own to have a small cabin in the middle of no-where (forest) with a wood-burning stove and a fish-bearing body of water nearby --- and I own a lot of stuff!! Thinking it will come to that eventually anyway.

Unfortunately, I feel I was born about 100yrs too late..

7:12 p.m. on July 10, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,518 forum posts

Well, eric, plenty do what you strive for.....soemtimes you just have to DO IT.

2:08 a.m. on July 11, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Erik,

Welcome to Trailspace. I look forward to seeing ya around the forums. 

Rick

11:09 a.m. on July 11, 2012 (EDT)
1,377 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

I met a man last year who was staying at one of the rustic hostels. At the age of about 55, he'd decided to take a year off work, sell all his stuff, buy a motorcycle, and drive from Seattle to Patagonia, then back north to Alaska before going home. He was on the last leg of his trip.

I asked him how he managed it, and he told me it was just a matter of choices. He'd decided what he wanted to do, looked at what it would cost him (in terms of career, money, relationships, etc.), and made a choice to go ahead.

He's a more courageous person than me, I think. Either that, or the price I'd have to pay is just too high for my comfort. I'm not sure which.

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply