just curious, are friends correct saying do other work outs for backpacking?

2:57 p.m. on September 7, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
42 forum posts

in addition to my tent question which you were all so kind to answer out of curiosity wondered if any one else does weight work outs or other workouts for backpacking? I have been doing a light weights work out for a about 6 months when i started the day hikes but finding with my time available i seem to be fitting in more hiking and less other work outs (im sure it doesnt help that i do not enjoy the other work outs) i walk to work and back most days (6 miles total to keep backpack fit) and when i can the longer day hikes but friends are telling me with getting ready for first multi day i need the weights work out, lunges and mountain climber leg exercise. seems the hiking is enough itself to keep in shape for hiking but just wondering what everyone else does :)

4:08 p.m. on September 7, 2012 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

I submit to lots of walking, and cardio workouts like cycling or steep uphill walks.  When the departure day approaches, throw on a weighted pack a week ahead of time when doing the walks to acclimate your body to this abuse.

Walking itself for exercise will allow you to take short backpack jaunts, but you will not fell so good afterward.  Longer hikes with such a limited fitness regimen will just feel miserable. 

Ed

4:16 p.m. on September 7, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

The best training for any particular form of exercise is doing the exercise. Besides, if you're not enjoying the other workouts, why bother?

Go hiking, but increase the weight, time, elevation and distance gradually. I'd concentrate on the aspects that will let you build up your legs.

Just a note; I've seen more people mess up their knees or plantar fascia doing stair-climbing machines or ellipticals to get into shape for hiking. The machines are just too repetitive, and can cause serious long-term damage.

4:02 p.m. on September 8, 2012 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

the best workout fot backpacking is more backpacking. carry a loaded backpack to work and back. combined with hikes at altitude, you will be in backpacking shape in no time. you probably are in good enough shape right now, just need to get used to a loaded pack. have you picked out your backpack yet?

6:38 p.m. on September 9, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
42 forum posts

As for a backpack I have a daypack but looking into a new one and my mom is actually getting my bigger pack for me for Christmas

7:20 p.m. on September 9, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,154 forum posts

I walk and bike everywhere to stay in shape for backpacking. I bicycle tour and do dayhikes and overnight hikes about 9-10 months a year and work the other 2-3 months here in Jackson Hole where I do hikes and bikes on my time off.

11:27 a.m. on September 11, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,292 forum posts

i walk and hike a lot to stay in shape for backpacking (used to run, knees are now unhappy with that). 4-8 hours of aerobic work weekly.  i carry backpacks of varying sizes and weights most of the time when i'm walking or hiking so carrying a backpack on a trip won't feel foreign.  i work in some steep hills or steps so my legs are used to climbing and descending.

i also cycle and swim to stay in shape.  if i have to be indoors, i have a recumbent exercise bike.  not a big fan of stair climbers or ellipticals.  in a pinch when i'm traveling, i have walked on treadmills, but i always walk on an incline, varying incline and speed.

upper body fitness is less important for hiking but crucial if you plan to do any climbing, winter hiking, nordic skiing.  swimming is very good for this.  walking with trekking poles helps, and rock climbing, even at indoor climbing gyms, is a very good upper body workout. 

i would focus less on weights and short muscle-building workouts and more on the aerobic fitness. 

4:36 p.m. on September 11, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
42 forum posts

Yep seems to be the direction I'm going :)

7:52 p.m. on September 11, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

I did CrossFit and loved it getting ready for the Everest Trek.

September 21, 2014
Quick Reply